Finally, a great sun shield that really works

Reaction score
Ever since I started flying my Phantom 3 Pro back in December of last year I have had trouble seeing the screen of my iPad Mini 4 clearly and without reflections. I had the DJI sun screen from the beginning and while certainly better than nothing, it still allowed too much light to hit the screen and reflect back to me. I have used stick on anti-reflective coatings and even floppy hats without much success. I even went as far as to get Headspace FPV goggles. They worked but I was never comfortable wearing them.

A few months ago I tried the Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit. That did keep all the light out but there were several deficiencies as far as fit, ease of mounting, access to the screen, etc.

A few days ago I finally discovered a unit that finally solves all my problems. The Hi-Aerial closely resembles the Hoodman unit in that it is a two-piece unit, with similar construction. But all the shortcomings of the Hoodman have been corrected with this unit. I am guessing the Chinese manufacturer copied the Hoodman as there are too many similarities to be coincidence. But in doing so they actually improved on the original Hoodman unit and in my opinion, made it just about perfect. For all I know perhaps Hoodman copied the Hi-Aerial unit.

First of all, the iPad Mini fits securely inside of the unit, up against a solid back so it can’t fall out. There are two very sturdy velcro type straps that anchors the hood to the RC arm that holds your pad or phone. Instead of relying on velcro to hold the hood extension to the base unit it uses embedded magnets that hold the units together. Very slick.

It is made from a very nice, leather like material (the manufacturer claims it is leather, but I am not sure) and when it is taken apart it folds flat. There are a series of light-proof elastic bands on the bottom of the unit that allow you to insert your hand inside the unit to touch the screen for access to menu items on the DJI Go app. Those straps are more flexible than the same set up used by the Hoodman so it is easier to get your hand in. Unlike my DJI sun screen it will not fit inside my DJI hard-sided backpack. For me, that is a small price to pay for the other benefits.

As of now, supported hardware include the following: iPhone 6/6s plus, iPad mini, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7" Hi-Aerial will custom make for any tablet and the cost of this would be the same for an equivalent sized Apple product and free shipping.

Here is another review I found with photos:
Hi-Aerial HB25 Boost Hood Review

I purchased it from the distributor, Mike Harris, at this website:

Hi-Aerial

He is the main distributor for the US and Canada and several other countries.

Full disclosure, I received no discount for my review, and I have no connection with anyone involved with this product in any way. I looked for a suitable unit for a long time and I expect that there are many others out there looking like I did.

Thanks for the link.

Ever since I started flying my Phantom 3 Pro back in December of last year I have had trouble seeing the screen of my iPad Mini 4 clearly and without reflections. I had the DJI sun screen from the beginning and while certainly better than nothing, it still allowed too much light to hit the screen and reflect back to me. I have used stick on anti-reflective coatings and even floppy hats without much success. I even went as far as to get Headspace FPV goggles. They worked but I was never comfortable wearing them.

A few months ago I tried the Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit. That did keep all the light out but there were several deficiencies as far as fit, ease of mounting, access to the screen, etc.

A few days ago I finally discovered a unit that finally solves all my problems. The Hi-Aerial closely resembles the Hoodman unit in that it is a two-piece unit, with similar construction. But all the shortcomings of the Hoodman have been corrected with this unit. I am guessing the Chinese manufacturer copied the Hoodman as there are too many similarities to be coincidence. But in doing so they actually improved on the original Hoodman unit and in my opinion, made it just about perfect. For all I know perhaps Hoodman copied the Hi-Aerial unit.

First of all, the iPad Mini fits securely inside of the unit, up against a solid back so it can’t fall out. There are two very sturdy velcro type straps that anchors the hood to the RC arm that holds your pad or phone. Instead of relying on velcro to hold the hood extension to the base unit it uses embedded magnets that hold the units together. Very slick.

It is made from a very nice, leather like material (the manufacturer claims it is leather, but I am not sure) and when it is taken apart it folds flat. There are a series of light-proof elastic bands on the bottom of the unit that allow you to insert your hand inside the unit to touch the screen for access to menu items on the DJI Go app. Those straps are more flexible than the same set up used by the Hoodman so it is easier to get your hand in. Unlike my DJI sun screen it will not fit inside my DJI hard-sided backpack. For me, that is a small price to pay for the other benefits.

As of now, supported hardware include the following: iPhone 6/6s plus, iPad mini, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7" Hi-Aerial will custom make for any tablet and the cost of this would be the same for an equivalent sized Apple product and free shipping.

Here is another review I found with photos:
Hi-Aerial HB25 Boost Hood Review

I purchased it from the distributor, Mike Harris, at this website:

Hi-Aerial

He is the main distributor for the US and Canada and several other countries.

Full disclosure, I received no discount for my review, and I have no connection with anyone involved with this product in any way. I looked for a suitable unit for a long time and I expect that there are many others out there looking like I did.

Reactions: flyboy73
Just don't like shades of any type,
this solved the problem for me.

4 X Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 T550 Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protectors Film Cover | eBay
I applied one of those anti-glare films to my dad's tablet. It helped a little (maybe 10-20% improvement at most), but even on a cloudy day it's still difficult to see the screen. Not too bad if under a shade tree but on a bright sunny day forget about it. With a hood like this one you can see the screen as good as if you are in your home in a dark room.

Last edited:
It's a lot to do with the angle of the hood and screen - 90degree hoods don't work - ANGLED ones do. See this one - you won't see a reflection of your face just a nicely shaded screen while your getting the shot right. Using a screen unshaded is totally pointless and sometimes impossible.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav