Filter advice for Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any advice on which are the best filters to buy? I see some have a slide on attachment then the filter attaches to this (Neewer?) and others just slide on the front?

I would assume filters add weight to the camera is this an issue do you think? Surely camera on gimbal can fall downwards?

Do you need ND and CPL filters? Surely with a CPL you cannot turn it like on a normal camera to get the bluest of skies? Therefore assume is what it is once on and in air? Same for ND. Can’t use grads for sky/ land exposure ?

I’m in two minds whether to buy filters any advice greatly received.

Thanks in advance, Geo

I bought Polar Pro for my P3s and they work very well. Be careful what you buy, some over heat the gimbal by being too heavy.
CPL and Grads have to be adjusted on the drone with the app turned on.

Reactions: Geodude
Hi, does anyone have any advice on which are the best filters to buy? I see some have a slide on attachment then the filter attaches to this (Neewer?) and others just slide on the front?

I would assume filters add weight to the camera is this an issue do you think? Surely camera on gimbal can fall downwards?

Do you need ND and CPL filters? Surely with a CPL you cannot turn it like on a normal camera to get the bluest of skies? Therefore assume is what it is once on and in air? Same for ND. Can’t use grads for sky/ land exposure ?

I’m in two minds whether to buy filters any advice greatly received.

Thanks in advance, Geo
It all depends. If you're aspiring for that "cinematic" look you will need filters. If you are recording 24 FPS you want the shutter speed at 2X the frame rate or around 48. The primary function of the filter is to cut down the amount of light and drive the shutter speed down to around 48 - 50. Otherwise the camera will use the shutter speed to adjust the exposure. The higher the shutter speed the less motion blur.

I do not use filters when flying for fun. I've messed up plenty of times and ended up with under-exposed video. But anytime I'm trying to match my DSLR camera video I use filters.

I have a set of inexpensive Neewer for my P3S. They slip right over the lens and do not add any significant weight. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for the expensive stuff.

I bought Polar Pro for my P3s and they work very well. Be careful what you buy, some over heat the gimbal by being too heavy.
CPL and Grads have to be adjusted on the drone with the app turned on.
Great advice thanks! I didn’t realise you can adjust the filters on the drone using the app! Or did you mean on the camera with the app live on phone? Cheers

It all depends. If you're aspiring for that "cinematic" look you will need filters. If you are recording 24 FPS you want the shutter speed at 2X the frame rate or around 48. The primary function of the filter is to cut down the amount of light and drive the shutter speed down to around 48 - 50. Otherwise the camera will use the shutter speed to adjust the exposure. The higher the shutter speed the less motion blur.

I do not use filters when flying for fun. I've messed up plenty of times and ended up with under-exposed video. But anytime I'm trying to match my DSLR camera video I use filters.

I have a set of inexpensive Neewer for my P3S. They slip right over the lens and do not add any significant weight. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for the expensive stuff.
Thanks really useful. Yes was thinking of the more saturated colour look with the sky not washed out relative to the dark land. A more even shot. Will try the neewer filters cheers. But then again I’ve realised the P3S can do HDR so assume 3 shots combined might give what I am after. I’m from photography background and tend to use an ND filter on a canon then post process RAW in photoshop and combine in photomatics pro to single jpeg so I might experiment with the P3S HDR feature. I would assume in this mode take one jpeg and one RAW file? Cheers

If your into photography, you'll want cleaner stills. Keep your P3 in a well lit environment. If not, stacking helps a lot. The P3 takes better video than stills. Doing videos you need the shutter speed twice the frame rate. That's why you need nd filters. A little blur makes for a nicer video, but is not always good for stills.

Reactions: Geodude
Thanks really useful. Yes was thinking of the more saturated colour look with the sky not washed out relative to the dark land. A more even shot. Will try the neewer filters cheers. But then again I’ve realised the P3S can do HDR so assume 3 shots combined might give what I am after. I’m from photography background and tend to use an ND filter on a canon then post process RAW in photoshop and combine in photomatics pro to single jpeg so I might experiment with the P3S HDR feature. I would assume in this mode take one jpeg and one RAW file? Cheers
I shoot HDR all day with my DSLR yet never actually tried using either of my Phantoms. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers