dji phantom 3 standard lens filters

Reaction score
This has probably been asked a million times. What are the best filter make to buy for a standard? Looking for ND and CPL filters. Have read stories about the camera dropping down due to weight of filter and the gimble getting hot due to extra weight? Is any of this true? Was thinking the lightest in weight filters would be the best but want quality as well. Are there any user experiences out there? Cheers in advance! (Do you really need filters?)

I had reason to open a phantom 3 camera recently and noticed the backplate is metal and heavy.
I am wondering it this means it is meant to act as a counterbalance. This in turn makes me wonder if it might be feasible to use velcro etc. to attach small weights to the back of the camera to counter act the weight of a filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have read stories about the camera dropping down due to weight of filter and the gimble getting hot due to extra weight?
Phantom 3 Standard filters slide onto the camera, so most of the filters are heavier than the filters for other drone models. While that might make the camera drop when the drone is off, the extra weight usually does not damage the gimbal. You could possibly run into trouble if using an extremely heavy filter.

What are the best filter make to buy for a standard?
SRP filters are the best I've used on my Phantom 3 Standard. The only issue I experienced with them is that it's tough to slide them on and off the camera barrel (mine fit tightly). If you plan on using the same filter often, then this might not be an issue for you.

You can find a list of some other filters here.

I bought a normal 4 piece set of eBay : Neewer Brand.

The filter screws into a holder than then slides over the camera lens. I never had any problems with the slight extra weight and it is very small weight ..

In fact contrary to some advice I received - they also fitted my P3Pro perfectly as well ... I have no need to risk removing the Pro's existing lens to fit a filter.

Reactions: Geodude
I purchased a set of ND and a polarizing filter for my P3S about 3 years ago. They're the type that snaps on to the lens. I have not noticed any adverse effect to the camera, gimbal or balancing. They hardly weigh a thing. Good luck.

In fact contrary to some advice I received - they also fitted my P3Pro perfectly as well
They will fit any Phantom 3 model or the Phantom 4 since the camera barrel is the same size on all of those drones.

They will fit any Phantom 3 model or the Phantom 4 since the camera barrel is the same size on all of those drones.

I think people and it seems Amazon take the method of unscrewing the Pro lens and replacing with PolarPro etc. as THE way with the Pro. But yes as you say - the NEEWER slide on type basically fits ...

I prefer that anyway - as the lens ring as we know is easily damaged by hand if not careful ... so the slide on NEEWER avoids that issue.

An item you do not see mentioned - the NEEWER filters can be added to each other ... each has screw thread both sides of the filter.

Phantom 3 Standard filters slide onto the camera, so most of the filters are heavier than the filters for other drone models. While that might make the camera drop when the drone is off, the extra weight usually does not damage the gimbal. You could possibly run into trouble if using an extremely heavy filter.

SRP filters are the best I've used on my Phantom 3 Standard. The only issue I experienced with them is that it's tough to slide them on and off the camera barrel (mine fit tightly). If you plan on using the same filter often, then this might not be an issue for you.

You can find a list of some other filters here.
Thanks for the advice very much appreciated ?

I bought a normal 4 piece set of eBay : Neewer Brand.

The filter screws into a holder than then slides over the camera lens. I never had any problems with the slight extra weight and it is very small weight ..

In fact contrary to some advice I received - they also fitted my P3Pro perfectly as well ... I have no need to risk removing the Pro's existing lens to fit a filter.

Great thanks these are the filters with push on carrier I thought would be too heavy - the Neewer brand

I purchased a set of ND and a polarizing filter for my P3S about 3 years ago. They're the type that snaps on to the lens. I have not noticed any adverse effect to the camera, gimbal or balancing. They hardly weigh a thing. Good luck.
Appreciate the reply !

Great thanks these are the filters with push on carrier I thought would be too heavy - the Neewer brand

I have never had any problem with them. The ND4 is usually left on even when not in use ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan