Filming fireworks at night

Reaction score
I 'm interested to use my p3p this 4th to get some good fireworks videos and I don't know much about using the settings other than auto. I filmed some at a local place in auto and was not impressed with the quality of the video looking for recommendations thanks.

I filmed some last week and it turned out great. I used LOG color and did some tweaking in Final Cut Pro. In Final Cut I just changed some exposure values and saturation and also added a little bit of sharpening because the high ISO adds a lot of noise and makes the video a tiny bit blurry.

Here's a portion of what I recorded..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That did turn out great! I just took some video of our fireworks in Orrville, Ohio but was too far away to get any good footage :(.

This is very nice. Which city?

Last edited:
I filmed some last week and it turned out great. I used LOG color and did some tweaking in Final Cut Pro. In Final Cut I just changed some exposure values and saturation and also added a little bit of sharpening because the high ISO adds a lot of noise and makes the video a tiny bit blurry.

Seeing this video makes me miss Pittsburgh's fireworks over the river. Glad to see someone capture them from the air. Great video!

Gave the drone a workout tonight winds 15-20 at surface ,lightning ,fireworks and launched from a rocking boat [emoji27] i would guess winds at the 400ft mark i limited myself to were at least 10 mph faster but she did her job! Hardest part was hand catching her in the dark over the boat. And then racing in to beat the heavy rain
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436072287.212676.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436072311.861305.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436072335.263474.jpg

So what I just figured is you need the still camera review so when you get a decent picture you know to go back and try again. Video in very dark will not produce an image, in my experience. It you could slow the video to 1 or less frames per second it could be usable but 25-30 frames per second not so much. So the stills is what you have to go with. 8 seconds isn't bad but you have to check each photo to see how it turns out. This one was fireworks display at a town 15 miles away. Didn't know it was even pointed the right direction because I was not reviewing the images. If I was I would have seen the red-white-blue fireworks and continued to shoot in that direction, maybe getting a nice picture. Oh well, next time.

DJI_0039.JPG

1436082483255.jpg
Well this is my video filming fireworks at 500AGL just a snapshot here

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad
ugh, not much going on where I was at. Unfortunately I was the one designated to light the fireworks for the kids so I couldn't fly as much as I had originally planned. I did get 1 shot. but I messed up and selected the wrong shutter speed. I only chose 1.3 instead of 3. ugh. oh well. maybe next year.
DJI_0063.JPG

Reactions: elie kattar
Full auto setting... Came out great I think

Reactions: Goat Song

That is crazy. But looks phenomenal! How close were you to the fireworks you think?

View attachment 23943 Well this is my video filming fireworks at 500AGL just a snapshot here
Should remove the EK2015, made it not worth watching since it took up most of the view right where the fireworks are being shown.

Nice video! You were right in the middle of it. Thought it was odd it wasn't fully dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.