Few P3S vs P3A questions

Reaction score
Just sold my P2V+ and want to buy P3A for long term use. I have few questions:

1) Is the streaming on the phone from Standard and Advanced in 720p on both ? Is there a real life difference in quality at least ? Somewhere I read that Standard has 480p but on DJI it stands 720p for both.

2) Is there any difference between two cameras in video quality ?

3) What is the use of those two sensors on the bottom of the Advanced ? I know that it is for flying indoors but I fly only in open areas, can those sensors be used somehow to drive on 2m from the ground without the worry of the copter to go lower and crash ? Also it can lift on and off with them with a press on the button.

Tnx

I have a P3A and you can still crash when flying low. I did it on a slope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the purpose of those sensors ? I know it can crash since the Phantom tilts on the side when driving.

The sensors are VPS (Vision Positioning Sensors). Two ultrasonics and one camera.

The DJI Vision Positioning System uses ultrasound and image data to help the aircraft maintain its current position. With the help of Vision Positioning, the P3 can hover in place more precisely and fly indoors or in other environments where a GPS signal is not available. The main components of the Vision Positioning System are located on the bottom of your Phantom 3 Professional; they include [2] two ultrasonic sensors and [1] one monocular camera.

This system combines visual data and sonar waves in a single unit, detecting both variance in patterns on the ground and current altitude. With this information, the P3 can hover in place without GPS assistance provided it can work properly with the conditions that is is operating in.

This VPS is a very sophisticated and accurate system if used within it’s design limits.

don't forget about Lightbridge that is what sets them apart from each other

Basicaly VPS is nothing important when used outside in the open field.

I know about Lightbridge but if they both have same 720p quality to phone then only the range is better. Altough I dont go over 1-1,5km.

controller is a lot better too

And for this reason I would chose LB over WiFi

......."When you reach the distance limits with Lightbridge the screen will typically show streaks and you'll get a warning of connection weakness. Most of the time reconnecting is generally fairly quick, because there's NO requirement for two-way handshaking to re-establish connection, like Wifi. LIghtbride is much faster at re-establishing a connection when it reaches it's distance limit. Lightbridge gives you a visual warning in the controller that signal is weak or lost, this instantly triggers the pilot to stop and hover. To reconnect you can typically re-establish a connection by turning the craft around slowly to phase shift the antennas of the craft, or increasing altitude if LOS is marginal. Again, this usually very quick, less than 10 seconds with Lightbridge. In comparison, with most Wifi implementations, when you reach the distance limitation the screen will lock up, no warning, and typically the screen will have a frozen image, which can fool the pilot and make him think all is OK for 3 to 6 seconds. Once he realizes he isn't moving, reconnecting can take 30 to 60 seconds because of of the handshaking required to re-establish a viable communication path"..........

Reactions: cybercom and Bfd300
I was also going to get the Standard, but in the end I changed my mind and bought the Advanced, mainly because of LightBridge. I am SOOO happy that I did. You may not think that you will fly very far, but with LightBridge, 1200-1300 meters is really no big deal in an open area. With the Standard, you will have issues reaching beyond 300-400 meters.

I would also hate to be limited by the Standard's WiFi connection issues. With LB, at 1500-1600 meters I usually start getting warnings that I am about to lose video signal, but I still have the time to turn back and immediately regain the video signal strength again. With the Standard's WiFi, it will take 20-30 seconds to get the signal back, which is more scary than you might think.

//Thomas

Reactions: flpholt
Thanks guys, I do realise that Advanced is better but I just wanted to know how much in real life.

How do I change Advanced to work on FCC longer range ? Is it somewhere in phone app or ?

its automatic on your location

Can I change it manualy since I am in Europe and it will then go in CE which has shorter range ?

you cant change it it will go into ce since your in europe

Well I hope then I will get that max 3500m distance, at least 2km I am hoping to get.

just put a dbs mod on it and you will get distance

Well I dont need mod if it will go 2000m. I have turned my V+ on FCC and it was really better. I dont get that DJI idiot rule, they can name it wahtever they like but why give us like only 60% of the power, it is not like US has less planes and electronics that us in EU.

true must be your government's rules

1.7 km is my longest distance away from home with my European P3A. Stock RC, alt 200 meters, clear LOS, rural area. The video was just starting to break up at that distance, so I turned back. I might have been able to stretch it to 2km but I just didn't think it was worth the risk. That's probably the best we get here in the EU.

//Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga