Fell Out of Sky - Total Loss

all crashes are very upsetting if you are spending all that money ,why not start building your
own drones ? D.J.I are useless i have an Inspire 1 which had issues straight out of the box .
" battery+updates " took months to get sorted .another Syma multicopter is good fun when
things get bad and expensive .I fly all aircraft (except jets) just get up there !!!
P1100977.JPG
P1100977.JPG

Please tell me that you sent your bird back to DJI to be repaired under warranty. Same thing happened to me and they repaired it and sent it back free of charge. I don't care what anyone on here says this is a defect. Obviously DJI agrees because of all of the drones the have repaired under warranty.

I have not yet. I was in Florida for a week... along with the flu that got worse over these past two weeks... and I'm tied for first place as being the worlds best procrastinator. I have a Vision Plus that I still need to call DJI to see about a failed ESC.

I'm going to get off my butt and call them Monday. Based on the follow up posts I feel pretty comfortable that DJI will repair the P3. Prior to all of these posts I figured I'd be on my own.

Reactions: Reed L
This post is a prime example why no one with a life comes to this forum or participates in most drone forums any more. A guy comes on and posts an interesting topic for discussion and nothing but a bunch of whiney little keyboard warriors come on to harangue and attack him. It's no wonder most AMA members have had it with the self-righteous entitlement mentality of drone users. You people are sealing the fate of the hobby.

I'm just not seeing the "attacks". There were a few posts that talked about only flying with 100% batteries but they were not incorrect. Personally, I think the thread was _very_ productive.

all crashes are very upsetting if you are spending all that money ,why not start building your

I think DJI makes very good products. The jump from the P2's to the P3's was a huge advancement. We used to read a lot about fly aways but with the P3's there seems to be next to none. Yes, there are a couple but nowhere near what was being posted about prior. The range on the P3s just can't be beat and the price is cheaper then someone could build there own for. Building a drone gives great personal satisfaction. That can't be bought. But it does take time and a much larger commitment. I like to mix my drone hobby with: hiking, mountain biking, traveling, kite flying and exploring... it just not leave much time to add anything else.

Edit: Plus, I'm no where near the level of expert needed to make my own drone. That requires some real talent and experience.

Last edited:
I'm just not seeing the "attacks". There were a few posts that talked about only flying with 100% batteries but they were not incorrect. Personally, I think the thread was _very_ productive.
Disagree.

I'm new to the forum and was immediately turned off by the sarcastic and demeaning attitude of some of the posters.

In this thread, specifically that red hot poker dude.

Everybody is a Johnny hard guy while hiding behind the Internet.

Every forum has a few, and you just learn to deal with it or utilize the ignore function.

But, I do think that people that come online and criticize just to make themselves feel better about themselves ought to be called out.

Sorry for the crash op. As had been discovered lately, flying in a full charge is a requirement. For all the people (like poker), it isn't common sense. I don't fill my car up with gas every time I start it. If it had 38% of a tank, I wouldn't think twice about driving it. Even cold.

Point. You aren't being helpful or constructive. Maybe give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Sorry for the crash op. As had been discovered lately, flying in a full charge is a requirement. For all the people (like poker), it isn't common sense. I don't fill my car up with gas every time I start it. If it had 38% of a tank, I wouldn't think twice about driving it. Even cold.

I can't disagree with what you posted. Though it's also on the reader to kind of not take posts to heart. Yeah, it happens.

But those posts were also not incorrect. In my case if I had gone home and charger the batteries up to 100% the drone should not have crashed. It's a very good rule of thumb. However, yes... a person should be able to start flying on a battery that shows 60%. As we know now, the real issue is that especially in cold weather batteries that are not under load can show they are at a higher charge then they are and also it appears DJI had the critical voltage set to low for cold weather.

I have and do take offense to some posts I read (replies to me mainly) and sometimes it does start a disagreement. But I've never meet anyone on this forum that does not mean well (I do have one person blocked). So I just look at it as being a healthy disagreement and another point of view. Which can be a good thing.

You also get a feel for people beyond what the post sometimes. Because of this I know Red is a good guy with good information. A person may only see this from reading a lot of his posts. I've come to respect what he posts because of this. Just reading those few posts it may not give a full picture.

Reactions: Reed L
Flew my Vision Plus for about 7 months and bought this P2A on release date. Never had any problems... until tonight. Wanted to get some night shots so I drove out and got permission. Set drone up and waited about 45 seconds for it to warm up. Started the motors and got a home lock. Manually launched about 30' in the air and hovered for about 3 seconds. All of a sudden everything shut down. No motors, no lights. Fell right down onto the parking lot. Battery bounced out, camera was ripped off and landing gear was bent.

View attachment 37695 View attachment 37696

I think the same things have been happening to me (battery issues with jumpy battery cell readings to red flashing lights during flights) One of my two phantom 2 vision+ (V3) batteries turned itself off!!!! Luckily i was in my house with all props off and it was safely on the table. i wanted to check the status of the battery though the phantom assistant when my phantom turned itself off. All lights off battery led's were off too (the battery had full charge i think). I pressed the button and the led's came up. When i tried to turn the phantom on, all i saw was a quick flash of the LED's and a chirp from the ESC's that only lasted a quarter of a second and it was off again. I tried multiple times with no luck so i went to the charger, plugged it in then removed it and plugged it into the phantom. It started up fine!! I haven't flown my phantom since that happened. I also have (probably minor) stress cracks on the motor mounts which scare me... Just using it as a decoration at the moment. I would rather have a phantom as a decoration than a pile of useless junk XD

What I can't get my head around is why isn't there a fail safe built in to make the bird auto land immediately if the voltage drops too low or the bird registers a low battery situation. It seems to be a more common thing at the moment with the birds dropping from the sky due to low voltage/battery. Yes we should be taking off with a fully charged battery, but when you're sending £800 worth of gear up in the air you would like to think that there is built in contingencies to protect from this problem

What I can't get my head around is why isn't there a fail safe built in to make the bird auto land immediately if the voltage drops too low or the bird registers a low battery situation...
A member in another thread stated that he talked to a DJI tech guy who told him the problem was with a bug in the firmware. Updating the firmware solves the problem, he said.

I know this post is very old but I wanted to bring some closure as promised. I _finally_ got off my butt and mailed in this P3P for repairs. When I filed the claim I mentioned that it was cold out, I hovered and then pushed full power up and that the drone just shut off completely.

I mailed in the drone and it was received no 4/28/16. Damages assessed on 4/29 and repaired that date. No charge.Today (5/4) I received the drone back and tested it. Everything worked jus fine.

Repairs taken care of 100% by DJI and repairs done _very_ quickly_. The only complaint that I have is that they did not replace _any_ of the decals on the upper shell. Granted, they did include some off color decal bands but none were gold (correct color), no DJI stick and no prop warning stickers. Not a big deal and I probably have some gold stickers but I'll be selling this drone so I'll need to contact DJI and see what they can do. If the upper shell is replaced, they really should supply these decals.

20160504_121533.jpg

You can buy them specific Phantom 3 Pro, decal packs from @dji.
Aside from that, congrats and way to go. Glad you are back up flying and smiling again. Take it easy... ;-)

RedHotPoker

You can buy them specific Phantom 3 Pro, decal packs from @dji.

I realize that I can buy them but if they were removed/damaged in the repair process then DJI should replace them at their expense. They did include some stickers but they were not the gold ones (if you are repairing a Professional....how can you put red and purple stickers in the box and not gold?). But they also did not include the small prop warning stickers.

It is an odd way of completing a warranty repair, in not sending it back to you, in the same way or fashion as new, when first out of the box. I would fire off an email, and request this error be rectified.

RedHotPoker

Glad DJI repaired your bird. Even though this is an old topic, it was a good read. I also wanted to read the links to the DJI Forum but it appears they have deleted them all. Guess they thought it would be bad press.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl