FCPX help?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone can help with an issue I'm having with the Final cut pro 10.3.1? I spent a few hours yesterday editing 4K (30 frames) footage from my drone and iPhone. I have all the footage stored on an external drive, I imported this into FCP by ticking leave files in place, create optimised video media and create proxy media. I clicked the proxy option as I started editing to speed up the process on my 2012 MBP. The editing went really well, I was fairly happy as this was my first edit and also was fairly rushed. Now when I swap back to optimised/original, the original media will not appear, well the drone footage that is. All the iPhone vids and pics are still there, just not the original dji footage. I tried sharing this as a Master File but it comes out as shown prior to sharing. All blank footage apart from iPhone material and music playing. Ive tried to find search the net to find similar problems to this but nothing. I did try sharing the master file while still in the Proxy mode, The edit comes out great but yes, in terrible quality. There doesn't appear to be a linking issue as the video space doesn't go red with the delinked icon. I've tried consolidating but nothing. Restarting several times but same old. I was thinking of moving the original files locally to the Laptop to see? Has any one had this issue?
Thanks

Referenced media is always a pain in the butt. You may need to import directly. Once the project is completed you can delete the render files to save space. You can even move the entire library to an external. My system runs my library off an external raid array. This saves my little internal drive and it has plenty of room to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Oh okay thanks. So when you say import directly, do you mean from the local hard drive as opposed to the external hard drive? I copied the dji files back to the local drive and deleted them off the external drive and strangely enough the files didn't delink. The same issue is still present though.

I mean when importing, import directly into the library "copy media to library" instead of "leave in place" If you are worried about space, then just move the library to the external drive. With the library on the external drive, when you import from the SD card, it will go into the library and it will grow up to the size of your external.

As you see in the pictures attached, all of my data goes into the library and is also copied there.

Screen Capture 2017-01-07 at 8.54.35 AM.PNG

Here you see its set to copy into the library and make a new event.

Screen Capture 2017-01-07 at 8.55.52 AM.PNG

Here is my 2016 4k File Size

Screen Capture 2017-01-07 at 8.56.11 AM.PNG

Here you can see the package structure ((do not enter the package please, you can damage the library)) but you can see all my content is store there. So you can just move the entire library file in one move.

Also if you have questions about final cut pro, please contact Apple support. if you go to support.apple.com then choose contact support in the upper right hand corner, scroll down, under the picture of the person click call us. Once there choose applications in the bottom row, then choose pro apps, then choose final cut pro. You can setup a call instantly. When the call is connected, let the advisor know you need the ProApps team for final cut pro. They are a very specialized team and can answer a lot of your questions, especially with library management.

importantly if you copy your files to an other drive is that you
copy allways the full card - not the videos only !!!
there are many information of your footage in the MISC folder !!!

importantly if you copy your files to an other drive is that you
copy allways the full card - not the videos only !!!
there are many information of your footage in the MISC folder !!!

Not sure about others but on my p3p there is no info folder.

Oh wow thanks for all that info. All makes sense. I'm hopefully going to get some more footage today, I'll follow these steps and keep all files locally until I'm finished.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.