FC40 and a Walkera G2D Gimbal

Just thought I would post my installation.

I have looked at the various options to keep the supplied camera as an option, as I want to use the Gopro mainly on my Disco, and the 720p is certainly good enough for the average YouTube video. Therefore a simple way to fit the camera was the order of the day, and it needs to look proper :D .

Got some 3mm plastic modelling sheet and cut out two pieces. One to drop in the rebate on the gimbal where the gopro gets secured, and another just a little larger that the frame. Glue these together with epoxy. Looked at various options for the mount but as by now I had decided that the supplied mount would never be used again as it was, simply found the balance point and glue it on the plastic sheet, again with epoxy. Glued two nuts to the front side of the plastic sheet, so I can use 2mm screws to remove the mount and use the normal Gopro. Now the camera and gimbal balance out to a neutral point without any additional weight, and being plastic, does not interfere with the wifi from the camera.

Looks nearly like it was meant to be this way and happy enough with the final outcome. The other mod I have done to my G2D is to move the hanging are to the top of the lower frame plate which lifts the whole camera up around 5mm which now give a little more clearance under the camera with the standard legs. Did this just for easy and to give a little more protection with the increased ground clearance.

Mike.

Very nice

You can do it a few different ways. Get it from the main battery via the balance connector or y off a jst to it. You can put a jst on the aux power cable that comes out one of the leg holes. You can use a separate small 11.1 v lipo battery. I'm told you can run a servo cable from the naza to the pitch control in the gimbal, and if all three pins are used it will power the gimbal.

I run mine now off a 7.4 850 ma lipo. I just wonder if using the 11.1 lipo would be better. Stronger to fight wind against camera/gimble. Someone said the 11,1 battery would be better but never said why.

I powered mine with only the Naza wire which is 5Volt. But my gimbal seems to have not enough power to overcome the weight or stiffness of the gopro video out cable.

I'm slowly beginning to suspect that it needs 11-12V to be able to move without hick ups. But I lost that tiny little connector that connects to power port of the gimbal controller.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36932&p=341338#p341338
I made step by step instructions for installing the G2D on the Phantom FC40 without any soldering or splicing.
I didn't include the pitch control lever install or naza setup, you can find that elsewhere.

Hi all my first post here.
I have an fc40 made a few flights and really enjoying it.

Just fitted a walkera gimbal, easy fit but the usual problems getting the the tilt control working correctly.
Calibrated X1 in RC. Tried a dozen settings in GIMBAL settings all now works ok, goes from straight forward to pointing down when the lever is operated.
BUT. BUT

It will not stay half way only straight forward and then goes to straight down?
Now I can live with this but is there a way to stop the gimbal during its travel?
Thanks all

My first flight vid here with stock camera and no gimbal. Goes on a bit but I like it.

Nick

Hey Nick,

I'm wandering through gimbal threads and see you've had issues with your pitch control.
Did you ever resolve the problem?

Hey Nick,

I'm wandering through gimbal threads and see you've had issues with your pitch control.
Did you ever resolve the problem?

Hiya. Yes I sorted it eventually. Just a case of experimenting with the X1 calibration sat in front of computer with naza software and just keep putting in different values until it worked ok

Hiya. Yes I sorted it eventually. Just a case of experimenting with the X1 calibration sat in front of computer with naza software and just keep putting in different values until it worked ok

Please share your values... :)

Please please please share your values/settings... Struggling with the same issue.

Please please please share your values/settings... Struggling with the same issue.
Hi All The values that work for me are.

Servo Travel Limit
Pitch Centre Min
250 50 -10

Frequency 50hz

Automatic Gain Control

Pitch 2.00 Normal
Roll 2.00 Normal

Pitch Speed 10

With the tilt lever fitted.
This gives me the camera facing forwards but slightly down in one position and almost straight down in the other position.
Good Luck.

As an aside, I have just fitted an FPV setup to mine using the BOSCAM trans/rec units, went very well works great, not flown it yet but today will remedy that. Just got to find the correct screen now.

Nick

Reactions: RichardFlying
Hi All The values that work for me are.

Servo Travel Limit
Pitch Centre Min
250 50 -10

Frequency 50hz

Automatic Gain Control

Pitch 2.00 Normal
Roll 2.00 Normal

Pitch Speed 10

With the tilt lever fitted.
This gives me the camera facing forwards but slightly down in one position and almost straight down in the other position.
Good Luck.

As an aside, I have just fitted an FPV setup to mine using the BOSCAM trans/rec units, went very well works great, not flown it yet but today will remedy that. Just got to find the correct screen now.

Nick
Nice, I want to do the same for mine, will you share the range you are getting and what antennas and such after you do a test flight? I want to get a long distance fpv setup for my gopro setup

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj