***FAVORITE Phantom 2 MODS***

LuRoyale said:
if you support it diagonally on the right angle with some left over landing gear that you cutoff, it won't ever touch the ground. This is a mod for more experienced pilots. If you're experienced you shouldn't be hitting the ground to be begin with.

I consider myself an experience pilot. And I don't hand catch unless I have to. I pride myself on my landings and see them as a challenge to my skills. The bottom of my gopro and gimball always hits the ground. If I'm landing or taking off in grass, I worry about damage to the gimball because it sometimes binds up in the grass. I've solved this by purchasing leg extensions from Shapeways that snap off and on.

This mod makes no sense. Either you love fish eye or you need to shoot in 4K. Those are the only two reasons I can think of for not using medium FOV. Medium FOV = no landing gear or props in your shots. Done.

ianwood said:
This mod makes no sense. Either you love fish eye or you need to shoot in 4K. Those are the only two reasons I can think of for not using medium FOV. Medium FOV = no landing gear or props in your shots. Done.

You may be right, and I may need to experiment some more. Meanwhile, as I am stuck with the short stock landing gear I have this prototype mod to try out.

Attachments

• LG.jpg
    LG.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,000
HailStorm said:
LuRoyale said:
if you support it diagonally on the right angle with some left over landing gear that you cutoff, it won't ever touch the ground. This is a mod for more experienced pilots. If you're experienced you shouldn't be hitting the ground to be begin with.

I consider myself an experience pilot. And I don't hand catch unless I have to. I pride myself on my landings and see them as a challenge to my skills. The bottom of my gopro and gimball always hits the ground. If I'm landing or taking off in grass, I worry about damage to the gimball because it sometimes binds up in the grass. I've solved this by purchasing leg extensions from Shapeways that snap off and on.
I plan on buying these when they are updated for the newest P2 V2.0: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2765256 ... erialId=62

Which extensions do you have? Link please.

dptcalvin said:
HailStorm said:
LuRoyale said:

I plan on buying these when they are updated for the newest P2 V2.0: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2765256 ... erialId=62

Which extensions do you have? Link please.

Yes, those are the ones. I really like them - quick on and off and the rig still fits the case. Raises the camera and gimball just enough. I have been very pleased with Fusionimaging's products.

I've used the landing gear mod for months now with absolutely no problems, and not everyone like the fisheye lens on the GoPro. I personally remove it in post unless I'm using the video for sport flying

Hughie said:
Meanwhile, as I am stuck with the short stock landing gear I have this prototype mod to try out.

Tried this yesterday now that the winds have dropped a bit.

It works really nicely.

Attachments

• LG.jpg
    LG.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 920
Also, gimbal transport clips are a good idea:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2423983 ... erialId=25

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2050481 ... terialId=6

Speaking of clips, this is great as I hate having to use a tool to mount/dismount my GoPro: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2224302 ... erialId=62

Be careful when buying the Gopro Zenmuse Bracket. I can't get the Zenmuse to move properly so I've wasted my money until I figured out how to make the Zenmuse think I have the real bracket installed.

It's a little pricey but if it saves the day then ...
2.0 inch DJI Phantom 2 Gimbal Guard / Leg Extender by fusionimaging on Shapeways
I broke my upper Zenmuse H4-3D bracket in a crash in soft dirt. I was able to bend the metal portion flat again but the bracket that is attached to the body broke where there is no shell support. Iordered another and thought of shoe gooing that portion for a little more support and I thought of buying the above 2" leg extender too. I've mended the broken mount with Epoxy but I don't think it will survive the pliars test so when the new one arrives I thought of giving that area more support. Also I like the idea of extra ground clearance for the gimbal and GoPro.

Hey guys I made a thread on the Phantom Owners Page so I thought I'd share it with you guys :)

People ask all the time what are the most effective yet simple mods for the Phantom 2 apart from basic things like balancing props and such.

The first and most obvious is the landing gear that constantly gets in the frame when people shoot too wide. Easy fix for this is to cut the gear before after the 90 degree angel and support the remaining gear with about 2-3in off of the part you cut off, for extra support.

Second would apply if you do not want to invest in an ND filter to get rid of prop shadows in your video that give that rolling shutter effect. You can literally cut the bottom of a generic plastic drinking cup and make an effective sun shade. Just secure with a small hair rubber band and you're good to go.

Third is for the flimsy little ribbon that connect your GoPro. If you tend to break this a lot just peel back the H3-3D cover tape to give it some slack and you will greatly reduce this problem!

The fourth is probably my favorite because it virtually eliminate all jello even if you do not balance your props. Go down to the your local hardware store, purchase some small 6 or 8mm hollow tubing. You can usually find it in the plumbing section but if not I found that gas line tube works fine also. Cut 4- 1inch pieces and shove them into the bottom of each dampener then secure with zip ties. Make sure the gimbal has enough clearance to go through its full range of motion.

And the last and most common is purchasing an ND filter. It slows down your shutter speed which in return will, in most cases, completely eliminate jello as well as prop shadows in your video.

Hope this helps! If you have any handy tips you think have helped you in anyway be sure to share!
Re: Favorite Phantom 2 Mod

I didn't provide a picture of what the gimbal dampener mod looks like so here it is
I used 4 foam ear plugs. Just roll them tight and push them inside the dampers. They expand and hold firm.

I used 4 foam ear plugs. Just roll them tight and push them inside the dampers. They expand and hold firm.

I use the white dampers on a H3-3D gimbal and never had a problem with jello on either of the GoPro 3+ black nor the GoPro 4 black. The stiffer you make the dampers the more prone the gimbal becomes to vibration and jello not the other way around.

Saw this idea a while back, it most certainly helped with vibration on a cheap chinese 2D gimbal and also has helped with the Rotorpixel gimbal i have as i didnt get the thumbscrews for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues