fatshark V2 predator camera VS. GoProH3 as FPV camera?

Reaction score
Hey guys, i just tested my FatShark V2 and change the camera with GoPro hero3. i cant judge which one is better for FPV camera.
i haven't tested it for long range flight.

which do you prefer the stock FatShark V2 small camera or GoPro hero3?

please share the pros and cons and your experienced with this set up.

your knowledge is very much appreciated

I'm surprised that you can't tell the difference between the two cameras when using them for fpv. I find the image to be far superior from the Hero 3 -- in fact, if anyone wants a "like new" Predator camera, make me an offer! :)

You need to bare in mind that the resolution in the googles is always the same regardless of the camera (480 x 360 .... basically like a cheap VGA web cam). For that reason the only real difference between the two in the goggles is the field of view which can of course be adjusted on the GP and the colour.
Credit to Martcerv on here as his extensive testing has me convinced that 1440 on the GP is best for FPV as it gives you much more height in your view while flying but can then be cropped down to 1080p for actual use on the web/video.

Personally I tend to always record the flight and hence prefer the GoPro (plus the added field of view). If I want to do a really long dual battery flight though the 600TVL that comes in the kit is actually very good.

The resolution in the goggle-view may be the same but I find the dynamic range of the GoPro is what really makes the difference. (I also prefer a monitor but that's another story.) I've tried the FS camera in bright conditions and it just didn't work well for me, too much flare, too dark in the shadows. I felt like I was groping instead of getting a reasonably clear view.

I hadn't heard about using 1440 on the GoPro for an enlarged view but I'll give that a try. Thanks!

GearLoose said:
The resolution in the goggle-view may be the same but I find the dynamic range of the GoPro is what really makes the difference. (I also prefer a monitor but that's another story.) I've tried the FS camera in bright conditions and it just didn't work well for me, too much flare, too dark in the shadows. I felt like I was groping instead of getting a reasonably clear view.

I hadn't heard about using 1440 on the GoPro for an enlarged view but I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Yeah I prefer the GoPro for sure. Easiest way to explain 1440 is this - Normal HD = 1920 pixels wide x 1080 pixels high. This gives the 'widescreen' 16:9 format. The 1440 mode on the Hero is actually 1920 x 1440 high so you get extra pixels top and bottom (making it 4:3 not 16:9 Widescreen)..... like I say Martcerv deserves the thanks for this. If he see's this thread i am sure he will point you to the testing he did on Youtube. Best bet is to try it of course :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav