Failsafe altitude

Reaction score
When a phantom 2 vision loses radio contact and goes into fail safe/return home mode, does it climb to 60 feet over what your take off point was? In other words, if I take off, fly over a cliff edge and descend 100 feet, in fail safe mode would it climb to 160 feet before heading home?

It ascends to 60ft/20m above your home point altitude. So yes, in the cliff scenario it goes up a total of 160ft before heading home.

Moved to P2V forum.

Gotcher6 said:
When a phantom 2 vision loses radio contact and goes into fail safe/return home mode, does it climb to 60 feet over what your take off point was? In other words, if I take off, fly over a cliff edge and descend 100 feet, in fail safe mode would it climb to 160 feet before heading home?

However, you can reset the altitude of the home position by first climbing above your take off point, and move the S2 switch 5 times. If you are hovering over your take off point, it will reset the home position at the new altitude.

Example: You take off and climb to 100', then reset your home point. Now you fly to some distance away, and descend to 50' alt. and then engage the Failsafe mode. The Phantom will climb to 166' (home point plus 20 meters) and then fly home. It won't crash or shut off at 100', it will just keep descending until it finds the ground at the home Lat/Lon.

So, if you plan on flying over a hill or tree tops that are higher than 20 meters above your home dirt, just climb up to a safe altitude first and reset your home position while hovering over the same spot that you took off from. Your Phantom will climb above that alt to come home

d86

That's good to know. I worried about some of the taller trees getting between me and the drone if it goes into return home. Do most people routinely increase their home point altitude when flying in the vicinity of tall trees, etc?

Gotcher6 said:
That's good to know. I worried about some of the taller trees getting between me and the drone if it goes into return home. Do most people routinely increase their home point altitude when flying in the vicinity of tall trees, etc?

No, I don't think most people do. It's sort of a quirk of the system that most may not be aware of. The Phantom records the barometric altitude when it records the home point, and then flies home in RTH at 20 meters ABOVE that altitude.

BUT, when it lands it doesn't assume that the ground is at the exact same barometric pressure as when it took off. Instead, it just continues a gentle descent until it can't go down any more. That is how it knows it has found the ground.

doug86 said:
Gotcher6 said:

No, I don't think most people do. It's sort of a quirk of the system that most may not be aware of. The Phantom records the barometric altitude when it records the home point, and then flies home in RTH at 20 meters ABOVE that altitude.

BUT, when it lands it doesn't assume that the ground is at the exact same barometric pressure as when it took off. Instead, it just continues a gentle descent until it can't go down any more. That is how it knows it has found the ground.

is this hearsay or is this fact as this may be the work around to not being able to set your RTH flight altitude
In 7 months I have never heard this here or anywhere
yes I know you can reset your RTH location but I was not aware that it reset the altitude

If flying at 100 ft and RTH activated it stays at 100 ft
if flying at 40ft and RTH activated it goes to 66ft

but your saying if I go to 100 ft reset my home point fly to 40 ft and activate rth it will go to 166ft :?: :?: :roll:

skyhighdiver said:
doug86 said:
Gotcher6 said:

is this hearsay or is this fact as this may be the work around to not being able to set your RTH flight altitude
In 7 months I have never heard this here or anywhere
yes I know you can reset your RTH location but I was not aware that it reset the altitude

If flying at 100 ft and RTH activated it stays at 100 ft
if flying at 40ft and RTH activated it goes to 66ft

but your saying if I go to 100 ft reset my home point fly to 40 ft and activate rth it will go to 166ft :?: :?: :roll:

yup, try it out and see.

doug86 said:
doug86 said:
Gotcher6 said:

ok so got my weather to be nice today and put this to the test and I say WRONG WRONG WRONG
I had home lock flew 50ft away and 50 ft up did RTH Phantom went to 66ft came back landed
I then took of went out 50ft went up to 100ft set new home point got flashes as verification
then flew back over old home point came down to 50 ft did RTH and it went up to 66 ft landed at new home point

I then went up to 100 ft over old home point Did rth and it stayed at 100 ft landed at new home point

So I then retried all test to make sure as was right

Outcome is as manual states

if below 66 ft and RTH in Activated it will go to 66 ft and come home
if above 66ft it will stay whatever height its at and come home

if you reset home point in flight it will go to 66ft above original take of height and come home to new home point
However you can not set home point in flight at 100ft then think it will go to 166ft this is not the case it will fly to new home point but will be at 66ft above your take off from ground :?

doug86 said:

and it's a very, very slow descent I might add!
If for any reason you entered failsafe with the battery unusually low, your best bet is to let it return to home, and then regain control by switching to ATTI and back to GPS again (making sure throttle is at 50%), so you can land at a much faster pace.

skyhighdiver said:
ok so got my weather to be nice today and put this to the test and I say WRONG WRONG WRONG
I had home lock flew 50ft away and 50 ft up did RTH Phantom went to 66ft came back landed
I then took of went out 50ft went up to 100ft set new home point got flashes as verification
then flew back over old home point came down to 50 ft did RTH and it went up to 66 ft landed at new home point

I then went up to 100 ft over old home point Did rth and it stayed at 100 ft landed at new home point

if you reset home point in flight it will go to 66ft above original take of height and come home to new home point
However you can not set home point in flight at 100ft then think it will go to 166ft this is not the case it will fly to new home point but will be at 66ft above your take off from ground :?

You are correct! I tried it a few weeks ago, but I wasn't being diligent about my process. I tried it again yesterday, and I got the same results you did. So I was passing bad advice. My bad.

Good job hunting it down and checking Skydiver!! now we know for sure

:D

doug86 said:
skyhighdiver said:

You are correct! I tried it a few weeks ago, but I wasn't being diligent about my process. I tried it again yesterday, and I got the same results you did. So I was passing bad advice. My bad.

Which firmware version was used when testing? I have seen a comment (on this forum) that resetting the home location altitude did change in upgrade to autopilot V2.

AnselA said:
doug86 said:
skyhighdiver said:

Which firmware version was used when testing? I have seen a comment (on this forum) that resetting the home location altitude did change in upgrade to autopilot V2.

I have now tried with 3.0 and 3.2 same result

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl