FAA TFR for Superbowl LIV - Miami, FL 2/2/2020

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It's official (and expected). Here's a brief portion of the full TFR:

SUPER BOWL LIV FLIGHT ADVISORY

At the request of the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Aviation Administration will establish airspace restrictions over Super Bowl LIV, to be played February 2, 2020 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, FL. NOTAMs will be issued depicting a 99.7 “Special Security Instruction” Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) to be implemented as follows: Under the authority granted by 49 USC, the FAA may apply restrictions within airspace under its jurisdiction. Any person who knowingly and willingly violates these restrictions may be subject to certain criminal and/or civil penalties. Pilots who violate security TFRs or procedures may be intercepted, detained and interviewed by Law Enforcement/Security Personnel. They may also be subject to the following actions: 1. The FAA may take administrative action, including imposing civil penalties and the suspension or revocation of airmen certificates; 2. The United States Government may pursue criminal charges, including charges under Title 49 of the United States Code, Section 46307; 3. The United States Government may use deadly force against the airborne aircraft, if it is determined that the aircraft poses an imminent security threat.

See HERE for the FULL TFR and details

It shocks me at how many people think it would be a good idea to fly something above something so major.
I totally agree. Many think it's their "Right" to fly there just because they think they should.

Many still think they can get a wavier, I told them about the TFR over my city after the fires and it was put in place per request of the National Forestry. Some TFR's just don't allow room for special clearances to fly.

Reactions: andy.spilos
When the president is at Mar a Lago in Palm Beach, the TFR is for a 30 mile no fly zone. Thinking he was leaving on the 30th I went to my regular flying which is on the edge of Class C airspace and my P3Pro was not allowed to take off since I was well within the no fly zone. He left on the fifth, and everything went back to normal.
Anyone who thinks they can fly over the Super Bowl must not be aware of the TFR.

• Wow
Reactions: qdehpbn
Are all drones equipped with GPS supposed to "update" with TFR's and Airport No Fly Zone's so they don't take off in space when it's restricted?

Are all drones equipped with GPS supposed to "update" with TFR's and Airport No Fly Zone's so they don't take off in space when it's restricted?

Negative! The OPERATOR is expected to check those things personally and not simply rely on the device to self update and DENY the flight.

A couple of years ago a hobby operator took off within a TFR, flew well beyond VLOS, lost contact with the UAS, it went into RTH and collided with an military UH-60 Helo. All because he didn't check, didn't update his device, and mistakenly flew illegally.

I would say that Dji is the most Geofenced system. But those from other manufacturers may have no Geofencing and especially DIY kits, so it falls back on the individual/operator to obey the rules. This is where the concern of both drone pilots and FAA watch with breath being held to see if someone will find a way to violate the rules.

Negative! The OPERATOR is expected to check those things personally and not simply rely on the device to self update and DENY the flight.

A couple of years ago a hobby operator took off within a TFR, flew well beyond VLOS, lost contact with the UAS, it went into RTH and collided with an military UH-60 Helo. All because he didn't check, didn't update his device, and mistakenly flew illegally.

100% Noted. Got my attention with that for sure. It's a tool of sorts but shouldn't be used as a substitute for actually checking the zones/TFR's/etc/. God knows there's already too many negligent accidents that happen.

Reactions: BigAl07
100% Noted. Got my attention with that for sure. It's a tool of sorts but shouldn't be used as a substitute for actually checking the zones/TFR's/etc/. God knows there's already too many negligent accidents that happen.

You are 100% correct. Also it's important to note that DJI can (and has) made mistakes in their "GEO FENCING" and we would have to have their mistake cost US our liberties.

Safe Flights :)

Hmmm. The entire concept of relying on a Chinese company to ensure the US national airspace's security.....?
It baffles me, for sure. Like saying "hey Putin, mind watching over my bank account while I'm away?"
I think I'll just stick to making sure I'm the only one responsible for my actions.

Hmmm. The entire concept of relying on a Chinese company to ensure the US national airspace's security.....?
It baffles me, for sure. Like saying "hey Putin, mind watching over my bank account while I'm away?"
I think I'll just stick to making sure I'm the only one responsible for my actions.

Huh? This isn't relying on anything other than the operator knowing to check before they fly. This is the NOTIFICATION so that all responsible pilots (manned, unmanned etc) are aware of the situation.

This is so much bigger and broader than simple DJI GeoFencing. Think BIG PICTURE and not just restricted to our DJI bubble here.

Exactly what I mean Al. Anyone that would rely on a foreign government's software to tell them it's okay to do something is asking for trouble.
Sorry if that wasn't clear from the way I posted.

IMG_9777.jpg

Been at this drone thing possibly longer than anyone and when the first DJI drone surfaced I predicted by 2020 the intended use of drones would forever be lost. Regretfully 95% of the pilots who fly them are respectable to others and follow procedures - Regretfully a small group of morons have ruined this forever . . ..

Mike

Been at this drone thing possibly longer than anyone and when the first DJI drone surfaced I predicted by 2020 the intended use of drones would forever be lost. Regretfully 95% of the pilots who fly them are respectable to others and follow procedures - Regretfully a small group of morons have ruined this forever . . ..

Mike

Just looking at your avatar picture takes me back a good long time. I don't miss those crazy long (and fragile) antennae at all LOL!

When did you get started in R/C?

Regretfully a small group of morons have ruined this forever
Welcome to human race. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Some moan that about ANY activity.
What's ruined forever, droning?
No its not.
30 miles...can't imagine dozens of hobbyists NOT unknowingly
flying their drones 10-30 miles from stadium, they don't visit
drone forums, they don't consume current events, they are not
football fans, etc.
I'm 10.1 mi from stadium with clear view from beach.
Hobbyists quite common, not going to call authorities
if I see drone in air -- unless its peeking into my
upper floor residence...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers