FAA Study Guide & Test??

Reaction score
Been thinking about possibly taking my FAA test so I can fly commercially and maybe make a few dollars at something I enjoy doing. What is the best study guide or the best way to go about studying for this test? Are there any links I can check out for taking this test?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have a few resources that might be helpful here.

GundoLarry, will do. Thanks!

Reactions: GundoLarry
So is there any other test that someone needs to study for?

I've spent the last 2 hours studying DroneTribes free FAA's sample questions and his answers
and taking 3DR's 105 sample test.
I got 78% correct on 3DR's test.

Pretty easy stuff, considering I only knew the answer to 3 of the questions, before I took the test.
I knew the age requirements for registration, weight of the drone for the license and who is responsible for the drone while in flight.
I have never even looked at an aviation chart that closely before.

Luckily, the most of the answers can be figured out, with the info included within the question, or is common sense, or just good guesses, lol.

I do need to study a little more reading the charts.

Is there anything else that is challenging or requires studying for?

I did find one question, on 3DR's test that seemed incorrect. Question 30.

Last edited:

I've spent the last 2 hours studying DroneTribes free FAA's sample questions and his answers

Maybe METARs, weather charts, determining lat/long and knowing if an airspace authorization is required based on location, calculating apparent weight due to load factor

Reactions: auen1

Pretty easy stuff, considering I only knew the answer to 3 of the questions, before I took the test.
I knew the age requirements for registration, weight of the drone for the license and who is responsible for the drone while in flight.
I have never even looked at an aviation chart that closely before.

Luckily, the most of the answers can be figured out, with the info included within the question, or is common sense, or just good guesses, lol.

I do need to study a little more reading the charts.

I did find one question, on 3DR's test that seemed incorrect. Question 30.

Awesome, happy to hear that it helped!

I took a look at the 3DR question 30, you are correct, they list the wrong answer.

It should be 38 pounds which isn't listed as an option (they incorrectly list 31 pounds as the answer).

With the angle of the bank to be 30°, the load factor is 1.154.
The product of the airplane weight (33 pounds) and the load factor is 38 pounds
(33 pounds x 1.154 = 38.082 pounds).

This chart from the 3DRs website is helpful in determining the load factor vs. the bank angle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.05.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.05.57 PM.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: auen1
The other question that seems incorrect on the 3DR test.

"The elevation of the Shoshone County Airport"
Doesn't have an answer.
I think the question should have read,
"The elevation of the St. Maries airport"

No biggie, good practice anyway.

To bad my nearest FAA testing site is 600 miles away, by airplane. :-(

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 281
Agree re: 3DR's practice test questions. Typo's and a couple of incorrect answers, but a more than decent practice environment.

Agree re: 3DR's practice test questions. Typo's and a couple of incorrect answers, but a more than decent practice environment.

LOL. Not to be an terd but a test should have 100% correct answers to it. How does a test have wrong answers? This should be fundamental an illogical idea.

The other question that seems incorrect on the 3DR test.

"The elevation of the Shoshone County Airport"
Doesn't have an answer.
I think the question should have read,
"The elevation of the St. Maries airport"

No biggie, good practice anyway.

To bad my nearest FAA testing site is 600 miles away, by airplane. :-(

Dude, you live in Alaska. lol.

LOL. Not to be an terd but a test should have 100% correct answers to it. How does a test have wrong answers? This should be fundamental an illogical idea.

I agree completely! Earlier in the thread we noted which answers were wrong. You just can't beat 105 free questions to study for the test.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Junebug
It's very confusing for people trying to learn when practice questions have the wrong answer.
However, when you are able to take the practice test and identify that the wrong answer is being given, you're probably ready for the real thing. ;)
Either way, I don't think having the wrong answers is helpful nor is it a good reflection on the quality of the course.

Reactions: N42742
As long as the questions cover all the material on the test. Any questions that don't are irrelevant. How many questions are on the 107 cert exam itself?

As long as the questions cover all the material on the test. Any questions that don't are irrelevant. How many questions are on the 107 cert exam itself?
The questions don't cover everything on the test. I took dozens of practice tests from different companies and when I took the test only about 15 out of 63 were similar to what I had seen before. You really have to know the material. My test had 63 questions but only 60 count. They don't tell you which ones don't, so you have to answer them all as though they're real.

What happens if you fail?
Someone want to explain how No. 5 is 1,549 MSL instead of 1,548?

Last edited:
Totally off subject but could you imagine creating charts? Jesus. That looks like some painstaking work.

No idea. I didn't write the test. Just sharing a link to a practice test that was developed very early in the 107 process rollout. Not to be a terd.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31