FAA: Strategy to prevent drone disruption soon to be released

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
FAA: Strategy to prevent drone disruption soon to be released
The National Security Council (NSC) will soon release a strategy for preventing drone disruptions at major US metropolitan airports, according to the FAA.

The concept of operations (conops) for deploying counter-drone technology will be applied at the FAA’s Core 30 airports—those which serve major metropolitan areas with the highest volume of air traffic. It will be a tactical response plan “with a unified concept that involves all of the relevant stakeholders in the airport environment,” FAA Deputy Associate Administrator Angela Stubblefield told the agency’s Drone Advisory Committee on Oct. 17.

(Read the FULL story at the link below)

Reactions: dirkclod
Maybe it's just me, but these sorts of things always seem like double-edged swords. They start of with (mostly) good intentions, and become an avenue for other and perhaps less than desirable regulations and intervention. Just my opinion. I'd like to hear what the rest of you think.

Reactions: Basspig and MTO
The FAA has a pretty tough job, starting with the management of the US air space with all the competing interests begging for attention. Thus far they have done a great job.

In spite of many complaints, they have done a good job balancing the wants of the drone community with insuring human safety. There is no clear reason that they won’t continue.

IMO if there are less disruptions around airports, there will less drone fobia and fewer bad drone headlines. That’s good.

Reactions: LARA images
I am not against any of these countermeasures at all. It seems like good planning to try to keep aircraft safe around airports. And like Russ said with less disruption there will be less bad press on drones. It just always bewilders me that all this money is being spent when nobody has ever been killed by a sUAV at all but almost no finances are put into making our streets safer as thousands of pedestrians, cyclists and vulnerable road users are killed every year. Where are our priority’s in this country?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues