FAA SEEKS 'EMERGENCY' ACTION ON DRONES

Reaction score
This was in AOPA's Drone Pilot web page;

The FAA has been swamped with requests from Part 107 drone pilots seeking to navigate controlled airspace, and reports of drone safety incidents have also surged. Believing that frustrated drone pilots are flying near airports without waiting for airspace authorization, the agency has sought “emergency” clearance to quickly implement electronic authorization.

FAA seeks 'emergency action' on drones - AOPA

Well why the hell are "All" drone pilots waiting anxiously at every airport fence pining to get in and loft their aircraft into the engines of jets and helicopters....? Give me a break.

Well why the hell are "All" drone pilots waiting anxiously at every airport fence pining to get in and loft their aircraft into the engines of jets and helicopters....? Give me a break.
This is for Part 107 people. The school of thought is that 107 holders are not waiting to hear back on waivers because of the time involved to get one so they just fly anyways. This will shorten the time so people will do it correctly. A strange way to combat rule breakers.

Reactions: sar104 and FLYBOYJ
This is for Part 107 people. The school of thought is that 107 holders are not waiting to hear back on waivers because of the time involved to get one so they just fly anyways. This will shorten the time so people will do it correctly. A strange way to combat rule breakers.

It was always the FAA's intention to implement automated authorization. They are just accelerating it, which I am grateful for. They are fixing a problem they created in the first place. Waiting 90 days for an airspace authorization is not practical from a business perspective.

This 107 Exemption for airspace approval is such a joke - the FAA is making my business less safe and less accurate - I am a real estate inspector - I use my drone to inspection roofs that are unsafe to walk or not easily seen from the ground - I fly no higher than 50 feet for about 10-20 minutes - when I talked with the FAA about a solution they told me to apply for a 107 exemption for airspace for all the airport in my metropolitan area - how ridiculous (all i would be doing is preparing exemption paperwork ready for rejection) - I don't have any idea where I will be until I get a call from a client and then I have a day or two to get the job done - the FAA needs to recognize a drone is a tool and businesses use them in many ways - none of us want to fly around an airport or in a no fly zone - there needs to be an automated / online / fast clearance method developed - any maybe, just maybe some effort by the FAA to find out how businesses actually use a drone - all too often the exemption process is ignored and folks fly a drones to do what they need to do to run their business

This 107 Exemption for airspace approval is such a joke - the FAA is making my business less safe and less accurate - I am a real estate inspector - I use my drone to inspection roofs that are unsafe to walk or not easily seen from the ground - I fly no higher than 50 feet for about 10-20 minutes - when I talked with the FAA about a solution they told me to apply for a 107 exemption for airspace for all the airport in my metropolitan area - how ridiculous (all i would be doing is preparing exemption paperwork ready for rejection) - I don't have any idea where I will be until I get a call from a client and then I have a day or two to get the job done - the FAA needs to recognize a drone is a tool and businesses use them in many ways - none of us want to fly around an airport or in a no fly zone - there needs to be an automated / online / fast clearance method developed - any maybe, just maybe some effort by the FAA to find out how businesses actually use a drone - all too often the exemption process is ignored and folks fly a drones to do what they need to do to run their business

The LAANC system will fix this issue for a vast majority of flights. The FAA fumbled the ball bad on this one and is playing catch up. The challenge will be going back and educating pilots to use the new system and getting the message out there. Unfortunately, you are in the same boat many of us are in...I've lost quite a bit of business because someone else was willing to bust the airspace and I wasn't.

The LAANC system will fix this issue for a vast majority of flights. The FAA fumbled the ball bad on this one and is playing catch up. The challenge will be going back and educating pilots to use the new system and getting the message out there. Unfortunately, you are in the same boat many of us are in...I've lost quite a bit of business because someone else was willing to bust the airspace and I wasn't.
So far only 29 airports have volunteered to beta test the program - not a good sign - if this LAANC works as well as before you fly then we are all doomed

Reactions: cfd701
It was always the FAA's intention to implement automated authorization. They are just accelerating it, which I am grateful for. They are fixing a problem they created in the first place. Waiting 90 days for an airspace authorization is not practical from a business perspective.
FAA was told by congress in 2011 to address the drone issue - in six years they have come up with nothing original - the UAV pilot certification is a joke - the stuff the have you learn - such as decoding airport weather forecasts - is useless to a drone pilot - when I get out of my truck and the flags are standing 90 degrees off the pole its too windy, if my windshield is wet its raining.........the FAA has failed in drone regulations and I doubt seriously this LAANC will be any better......

The FAA has been swamped with requests from Part 107 drone pilots seeking to navigate controlled airspace, and reports of drone safety incidents have also surged. Believing that frustrated drone pilots are flying near airports without waiting for airspace authorization, the agency has sought “emergency” clearance to quickly implement electronic authorization.

Class D is controlled even if you are miles away from the airport - they (FAA) created this nightmare and there is no motivation to fix it -

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
FAA was told by congress in 2011 to address the drone issue - in six years they have come up with nothing original - the UAV pilot certification is a joke - the stuff the have you learn - such as decoding airport weather forecasts - is useless to a drone pilot - when I get out of my truck and the flags are standing 90 degrees off the pole its too windy, if my windshield is wet its raining.........the FAA has failed in drone regulations and I doubt seriously this LAANC will be any better......

Do you feel better now? I mean...complaining on a message board certainly will fix the problem, right? LAANC is being developed in conjunction with private companies, so I have better than average odds it will work much better than you might think. Second, just because only 29 airports are on it right now, doesn't mean jack squat. You do realize the FAA can just mandate all the airports use it, right? And that's exactly what they will probably do. Patience grasshopper.

The system only gets better with pilot input and working with the FAA to fix the problems. Yes, they caused it. Yes, the Part 107 test needs to be improved. But honestly....as a first stab at all this, I was pretty impressed with some of the thought that went into it. The implementation can use some improvement, though. And it will get better.

Reactions: Kentrol72
Do you feel better now? I mean...complaining on a message board certainly will fix the problem, right? LAANC is being developed in conjunction with private companies, so I have better than average odds it will work much better than you might think. Second, just because only 29 airports are on it right now, doesn't mean jack squat. You do realize the FAA can just mandate all the airports use it, right? And that's exactly what they will probably do. Patience grasshopper.

The system only gets better with pilot input and working with the FAA to fix the problems. Yes, they caused it. Yes, the Part 107 test needs to be improved. But honestly....as a first stab at all this, I was pretty impressed with some of the thought that went into it. The implementation can use some improvement, though. And it will get better.
I would love to share your optimism - but so far the track record is speaking for itself - if I can participate in any trial I would welcome the opportunity but none of the 29 airports in the beta phase are in Texas

I am very empathetic to the challenges the FAA faces in policing Part 107 drone activities. If Part 107 pilots spent a day on the FAA side of the coin, they'd probably have a different opinion of the waiver process and associated delays and frustrations.

That said, the one thing that never made sense to me is that 107 pilots **MUST** jump through the waiver hoop online (and wait up to 90 days, with their client waiting in the wings), while hobbyists (who have not been tested) can simply pick up the phone and call the tower for a verbal clearance (about 15 minutes total). Same day; same mission; same airspace >> the hobbyist gets "instant" clearance over the phone, while the Part 107 pilot (presumably more experienced, tested, and versed in airspace procedures) has to sit tight for up to 90 days. I just don't get it...

Drone pilots not pirates ...sweet.. Okay....so pirates is still business as usual....setting standards....innovation....pushing the envelope ...beta testing... 3rd vigilantes...."
20171013_131350.jpg living on the edge so you dont have too"

What business with a drone would be so crucial you would need to fly in the "pipe" human hearts. Kidneys...?... Fly around sdf in the "pipe" and ups heavys will make cannon fodder of you....if the foo fighters dont...they are feared .....lol

I am very empathetic to the challenges the FAA faces in policing Part 107 drone activities. If Part 107 pilots spent a day on the FAA side of the coin, they'd probably have a different opinion of the waiver process and associated delays and frustrations.

That said, the one thing that never made sense to me is that 107 pilots **MUST** jump through the waiver hoop online (and wait up to 90 days, with their client waiting in the wings), while hobbyists (who have not been tested) can simply pick up the phone and call the tower for a verbal clearance (about 15 minutes total). Same day; same mission; same airspace >> the hobbyist gets "instant" clearance over the phone, while the Part 107 pilot (presumably more experienced, tested, and versed in airspace procedures) has to sit tight for up to 90 days. I just don't get it...

You can thank Congress for this one. The FAA didn't want it this way, but until the law is changed, they have no choice.

I've been waiting since July for a Class E waiver. I've asked for 100' and I'm about 10/15 miles from a Class D airport. The area I'm requesting is on the outside edge of an extension box that facilitates 2 instrument approaches. I'n no where near any traffic would be, you would think this would be an easy approval. The FAA - the efficiency of the US Postal Service combined with the compassion of the IRS!

What business with a drone would be so crucial you would need to fly in the "pipe" human hearts. Kidneys...?... Fly around sdf in the "pipe" and ups heavys will make cannon fodder of you....if the foo fighters dont...they are feared .....lol
That isn't the point. The FAA has established an approval process that for one reason or another isn't working or being made not to work. There are 107 pilots out there that are being denied work because of a broken bureaucratic system that congressmen, who knew little or nothing about aviation put together.

BTW nice Phavic - how's it working for you?

That isn't the point. The FAA has established an approval process that for one reason or another isn't working or being made not to work. There are 107 pilots out there that are being denied work because of a broken bureaucratic system that congressmen, who knew little or nothing about aviation put together.

BTW nice Phavic - how's it working for you?
While it certainly may be plausible that Capitol Hill is responsible, that remains argumentative. You could come to a clear conclusion only if you had comprehensive first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of the system. Personally, I think the system is far bigger than we realize. Again, I give the FAA the benefit of the doubt, although I remain as frustrated as the next guy. Put simply, the FAA just didn't see this coming. It's like writing a memo on safe beekeeping when you're inside a hive full of pissed-off bees.

While it certainly may be plausible that Capitol Hill is responsible, that remains argumentative. You could come to a clear conclusion only if you had comprehensive first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of the system. Personally, I think the system is far bigger than we realize. Again, I give the FAA the benefit of the doubt, although I remain as frustrated as the next guy. Put simply, the FAA just didn't see this coming. It's like writing a memo on safe beekeeping when you're inside a hive full of pissed-off bees.

What part of the law do you need knowledge of the inner workings of the system to interpret? There is nothing argumentative about it. It's a certainty. A judge has already ruled against the FAA once in attempting to regulate hobby pilots. (Requiring hobby sUAVs to be registered) No, I would disagree. Congress didn't see this coming. But does this really surprise you? Yes, the FAA is slow to fix the Part 107 airspace authorizations, but by their own actions in filing for an emergency declaration, they fully realize it must get better....fast. Until the law is changed regarding hobby pilots, there is nothing the FAA can do to even the playing field between hobby and Part 107.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing