FAA Requirements And VR Goggles

Reaction score
Hi, I have been flying awhile. By when must we have passed the FAA certification exam to fly legally? Where can I find a concise directory of what we must know? I have a problem navigating the FAA website. I don't even know what kind of certification I need. And I actually worked as a contractor for the FAA building air traffic control systems. But that was a long time age. I am retired now.
Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 6.50.39 PM.png
Just trying to find out what I need to know and by when.

Also, here are 2 sets of VR glasses. Any insights as to why the $350 version is not adequate? Thanks in advance.

If flying strictly for fun you do not need any kind of certification. Your drone needs to be registered but that's it. You should be able to find everything you need to know here. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

VR glasses are a sticky point. The problem is if you're wearing them you can't technically see your drone so you're not flying line of sight. But it does look like you could use them if you have a second observer with you.
" Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you. "

If you want to use it for money or have less restrictions then you can get you Part 107 certificated

Reactions: ron-ep
Right! I didn't think of the line-of-sight issue and needing to monitor. I usually fly by myself. Thanks

Reactions: jwcfbd
Your drone needs to be registered but that's it.

Only a slight correction here....
Flying under recreational rules you do not actually register your drone(s). You register yourself with the FAA and then place that number on as many drones as you have.

Reactions: TontoFAC and jwcfbd
By when must we have passed the FAA certification exam to fly legally?
At this moment you do not need to pass any exam to fly under recreational rules. The FAA is mandated to establish some sort of competency test even for recreational pilots but the exam and time line for it have not yet been establishe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj