VR goggles and new FAA registration

Reaction score
Once we agree to the rules and register it seems we can forget the ability to fly with VR Goggles so I guess I'm glad I didn't get them.

We agreed to fly line of sight and here is their definition:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2). 1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model. 2 Such devices would limit the operator’s field of view thereby

That's OK, those rules preclude use of almost everything anyone uses here.

Everybody who has always kept their Phantom in view at all times please raise their hands.

Anyone?

Next question: Who reads all of the EULAs on software?

* Crickets *

Reactions: aka1ceman
Yes, that's what I was trying to convey when I received the response below:

Capture.JPG

I'm pretty sure flying out of LOS is reckless even if you have FPV. Hell, for some people flying with in LOS is still reckless -- running into trees and crap. Didn't they see the **** tree before they started flying?

So I have the Sony HMZ-T3W and they are indispensable for getting a really good view of an interesting place or feature I am flying. Critical to getting the proper exposure and framing and I am a foolish amateur. My wife will go with me on any flight just to get the chance to wear the goggles, she thinks they are awesome. Handed them to my dad the other day when they were plugged in and I was not using them and he would not give them back. Take the rubber sun shades off them and you can look above them and have LOS and look down and see the controller display. Who says FPV is history, come fly with me joker. lol!

So I have the Sony HMZ-T3W and they are indispensable for getting a really good view of an interesting place or feature I am flying. Critical to getting the proper exposure and framing and I am a foolish amateur. My wife will go with me on any flight just to get the chance to wear the goggles, she thinks they are awesome. Handed them to my dad the other day when they were plugged in and I was not using them and he would not give them back. Take the rubber sun shades off them and you can look above them and have LOS and look down and see the controller display. Who says FPV is history, come fly with me joker. lol!

They don't want you to ever take your eyes off the bird, I believe is the intent.

Good point tho......
Regardless of ANY rules, regulations or registrations...many (make that most) will never follow them explicitly.
How many laws and rules are broken per second? Probably millions.
But at least they DID something.

I think you can still legally use them on your private property...but you might check to be sure.
If...you're inclined to play by the rules that is.

They don't want you to ever take your eyes off the bird, I believe is the intent.

Good point tho......
Regardless of ANY rules, regulations or registrations...many (make that most) will never follow them explicitly.
How many laws and rules are broken per second? Probably millions.
But at least they DID something.

I think you can still legally use them on your private property...but you might check to be sure.
If...you're inclined to play by the rules that is.

They are simply a part of the flying experience. I could fly without my pants on, but especially today, since it is snowing, I am not going to.

lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub