FAA Remote I.D.

So, will my P4P v2 be illegal to fly once this becomes law?
(I’m assuming a firmware update won’t be able to do what’s required)
As it stands now most likely YES!
Way too early to go out on a limb.
My take on all this is I toss my Phantom 3 in the trash and call it a wash. Another win for Big Brother. It was fun while it lasted.
i need a new ipad my mini 2 sux. if i need a new ipad and a new drone then no way to much $$ for me. plus all the hassel from people hating drone users and confusing laws that people and citys dont understand. seems like as @Lucky 777 said it was fun while it lasted. :-(

i need a new ipad my mini 2 sux. if i need a new ipad and a new drone then no way to much $$ for me. plus all the hassel from people hating drone users and confusing laws that people and citys dont understand. seems like as @Lucky 777 said it was fun while it lasted. :-(

I don't think it's going to be AS bad as most are making it out to be but fact of the matter is we don't really know until everything is finalized and officially added to the Regs. I am fairly confident what was proposed is NOT the same as what will be finalized but that's just a best guess and has no validity what so ever.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If they turn up out here in the middle of nowhere where I just fly safely, obey all the rules and enjoy myself I'll alert you......Peace

Read this on UAV Coach forum if true everyone needs to comment real soon:
One other thing some of you might not be aware of, if you don't comment on the NPRM then you don't have "standing." Which means that if the FAA modifies the ruling they will be required to submit for another public comment and only those that commented on this NPRM will have standing to comment.

I got the same Pop-Up on all 4 of my devices yesterday and I didn't do any updates LOL! So apparently DJI has some "communication loophole" built into their app that doesn't need an update to utilize. Interesting . . . .
It looks like the app automatically checks for updates when there is available internet. I think dji probably just inserted that popup into the update list. So you would see it on every drone you connect because it looks for firmware updates too.

For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …
ADS-B for drones, ( Mod Removed Language )flight tracker web sites are already cluttered with commercial and civilian planes I can only imagine what they will look like with with drones added, it's crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
So it becomes very apparent that the only DJI drone that will not be covered under this regulation will be the Mavic Mini at just under the regulated 0.55 Lbs 250 Grams limit it makes sense. is that why I'm seeing so many Phantom pilots switching to the Mavic Mini? If that's the case time is running out for Phantom pilots. I was wondering why the sudden surge in used Phantoms on the market in the US and I think this might explain it. Who wants to go through the hassle of equipping your Phantom with remote ID, when you can fly a Mini have the same photo/video results with no requirements. This is making me think twice about Phantoms unless I move to another country lol. I know the regulation is still in the future, but what if the FAA decides to step up the timetable?

Last edited:
So it becomes very apparent that the only DJI drone that will not be covered under this regulation will be the Mavic Mini at just under the regulated 0.55 Lbs 250 Grams limit it makes sense. is that why I'm seeing so many Phantom pilots switching to the Mavic Mini? If that's the case time is running out for Phantom pilots. I was wondering why the sudden surge in used Phantoms on the market in the US and I think this might explain it. Who wants to go through the hassle of equipping your Phantom with remote ID, when you can fly a Mini have the same photo/video results with no requirements. This is making me think twice about Phantoms unless I move to another country lol. I know the regulation is still in the future, but what if the FAA decides to step up the timetable?

Buy NoLimitDronz

For those of you, like me, with an interest in drones for photography … take a look at what is coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-28100.pdf

Unbelievable … 319 pages !!

If they’re going to require ADS-B out for drones, why not make it for any drones flying above 400 ft., or those applying for waivers to fly in controlled airspace …

Imagine what your TCAS will look like when all drones have ADS-B out ??

And what about the problem w. limited numbers of ADS-B towers and little low-altitude coverage .. thousands more towers??

After 12/31/19 you can ‘comment’ on the proposed rule here: Public Inspection: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I urge you to pass this around, and consider commenting …

I know this is old news now but ADS-B is not going to be an option under the proposed NPRM. They are going to develop a new system that will be in essence a pay-to-fly service that you connect to via the new 5G network. In the NPRM it specifically states that ADS-B will not be used because the FAA is worried that 100s of thousands of UAS pilots will potentially overload their system.

Oddly enough, this new system will not communicate directly with ATC and the information disseminated directly to the people who need the information most, but it is supposed to be passed on third-hand (eh?) if I read it right. I have filed and requested to be grandfathered in as I already operate with an ADS-B transceiver. The big question now is whether it will be approved or a get doubly shafted. That ping2020i ran $2K.

Reactions: dronesky
I know this is old news now but ADS-B is not going to be an option under the proposed NPRM. They are going to develop a new system that will be in essence a pay-to-fly service that you connect to via the new 5G network. In the NPRM it specifically states that ADS-B will not be used because the FAA is worried that 100s of thousands of UAS pilots will potentially overload their system.

Oddly enough, this new system will not communicate directly with ATC and the information disseminated directly to the people who need the information most, but it is supposed to be passed on third-hand (eh?) if I read it right. I have filed and requested to be grandfathered in as I already operate with an ADS-B transceiver. The big question now is whether it will be approved or a get doubly shafted. That ping2020i ran $2K.

Of course it won't be approved. And since nothing required you to invest in ADS-B out to begin with, I'm not sure why you think that's the FAA's fault. As for how the information gets to ATC - that's just the same principle as was used for LAANC - i.e. the FAA doesn't have and isn't funded to set up the necessary infrastructure to handle the collection of those data, and so it is being contracted out.

Of course it won't be approved. And since nothing required you to invest in ADS-B out to begin with, I'm not sure why you think that's the FAA's fault. As for how the information gets to ATC - that's just the same principle as was used for LAANC - i.e. the FAA doesn't have and isn't funded to set up the necessary infrastructure to handle the collection of those data, and so it is being contracted out.

So you work for the FAA and are handling my request? Good to know.

I'm of the opinion that if the NPRM is approved as written, then the days of folks doing their best to operate within the rules will be over. The reason I think that is because for a rule or law to be effective and deliver the desired effect, the community (of operators in this case) needs to generally agree that its a good idea. Since most don't think the as written plan is appropriate, there won't be a whole lot of effort to abide by aspects of it. I think that is really unfortunate. We all want this to work. Admittedly, all just my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that if the NPRM is approved as written, then the days of folks doing their best to operate within the rules will be over. The reason I think that is because for a rule or law to be effective and deliver the desired effect, the community (of operators in this case) needs to generally agree that its a good idea. Since most don't think the as written plan is appropriate, there won't be a whole lot of effort to abide by aspects of it. I think that is really unfortunate. We all want this to work. Admittedly, all just my opinion.

It wasn't really written for us. It was written for Jeff Bezos and the like so they have their BVR flight without the waiver hassle. We are just along for the ride to subsidize the 5G network all this is going to take.

Looks to me ike there will be a lot of Drone Outlaws.....

Jerry

There will be that too but airports, or at least major airports, are deploying the electronics to detect the control signals and track it back to the owner/pilot in real time. Doubt it will make it to the local Class D and Class E airpatches but the Class Bs definitely have them.

I'm confused. I know drones don't need ADS-B transmit, but from what I am reading, ADS-B receive is now required in controlled airspace. Since I only fly in uncontrolled, it doesn't matter.
HOWEVER, what about the 30 mile surface extension around major airports. I was planning to take my old drone to Vegas when I visit. Am I not able to fly a non-compliant drone at all? the 30 mile circle would pretty much include the entire valley.

I'm confused. I know drones don't need ADS-B transmit, but from what I am reading, ADS-B receive is now required in controlled airspace. Since I only fly in uncontrolled, it doesn't matter.
HOWEVER, what about the 30 mile surface extension around major airports. I was planning to take my old drone to Vegas when I visit. Am I not able to fly a non-compliant drone at all? the 30 mile circle would pretty much include the entire valley.
ADS-B is required now on manned aircraft to operate in controlled airspace; not UAS flights. The NPRM specifically stated that ADS-B was an option not being considered for UTC. What finally becomes a reg has yet to be seen and probably won't be seen for at least another year if not more. So for now, you are required to follow the existing regs for commercial (107) or recreational flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31