FAA Remote I.D.

Reaction score
It’s like on the this clip at about 2:35 where the guy comes out out and calls about drone flying at his location. There is no internet and he has to call a USS.

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I agree, this is something that has many thinking they need both on the standard RID. I believe internet is more for joe public first then FAA. Broadcast will be mainly FAA. Either or.
The USS system is intended to provide data to organizations and users not within range of the direct broadcast.

sar104

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It’s like on the this clip at about 2:35 where the guy comes out out and calls about drone flying at his location. There is no internet and he has to call a USS.
He's not calling a USS - he's calling the facility manager who looks up the flight on a network RID website.

Reactions: BigAl07

sar104

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I think I found it.
9. Message Transmission
The FAA is proposing in § 89.310(i)(1) that standard remote identification UAS be capable of transmitting the message elements in proposed § 89.305 through an internet connection to a Remote ID USS. Additionally, the FAA is proposing in § 89.310(i)(2) to require that standard remote identification UAS be capable of broadcasting the message elements in proposed § 89.305 using a non-proprietary broadcast specification and radio frequency spectrum in accordance with 47 CFR part 15 that is compatible with personal wireless devices. The FAA envisions that remote identification broadcast equipment would broadcast using spectrum similar to that used by Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices. The FAA is not, however, proposing a specific frequency band. Rather, the FAA envisions industry stakeholders would identify the appropriate spectrum to use for this capability and would propose solutions through the means of compliance acceptance process. This requirement would ensure that the public has the capability, using existing commonly available and 47 CFR part 15 compliant devices, such as cellular phones, smart devices, tablet computers, or laptop computers, to receive these broadcast messages.

Reactions: xspwhite
Reaction score
It's nice to know that DJI is NOT in favor of the USS element of the proposal. The live broadcast is sufficient IMO.

According to this statement by DJI, the FAA is going far beyond what the ARC members suggested with the USS/network element.

Quote/
the ARC produced a final report that did not recommend mandatory internet-based services. Rather, the consensus recommendation was for drones flying under existing FAA rules to perform Remote ID via a radio broadcast, with network solutions an optional alternative. The ARC’s many months of work demonstrated how broadcast technologies scored best for inexpensive retrofit, ease of compliance, and performance. Network-based solutions involved the highest costs, burdens, and privacy intrusions.
/Quote

Last edited:
Reactions: xspwhite
Reaction score
After the 60 day comment period and then a review period by the FAA of the MANY comments. Then then can even change their proposal to try and meet the demands of the commenters or they can push it through as-is.

Worst case ( push it as is) would be at least 6 months before it became law and even then it would be roughly 36 month implementation time.

In terms of “always flying with internet access” that’s but one of the options. Having an aircraft that can Self Broadcast also meets the requirements.
From what what i understand there are only 3 options to comply the first 2 both require internet and the 3rd limits you to 400ft and you must be in a special area. Also you need a subscription? Even if you can do it without internet that will still essentially make older drone's illegal as it would probly be cheaper to buy a new drone with remote id than try to rig it up on a old drone. It would just really stink to not be able to (legal'y) fly drones not equiped with it without being in some special area. If they would do what i am told the uk does and just allow special privaliges to those who use remote id and let the rules for the rest of us stay the same i think i would be happy.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordFlasheart