FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

Just got a monster drone from Gannet that does not have prop guards available, yet. They're concerned about the operation with guards attached but I'm sure they will come up with something, I hope. Probably be some 3D ideas coming up eventually.

Prop guards are going to be the least of your worries. First you have to meet the first safety requirement and be able to provide a means of compliance acceptable to the FAA.
IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_1609256396.256148.jpg

Reactions: dronesky
Prop guards are going to be the least of your worries. First you have to meet the first safety requirement and be able to provide a means of compliance acceptable to the FAA.
View attachment 121091
View attachment 121092
I just had a glimpse into the future of what I can only call Drone Wars : Two Drones colliding into each other at top speed with there bullet proof exteriors and Prop guards made of some gorilla fan polymer strands. This is going to be a Riot , I hate too spend my engineering time designing Prop Guards for something I do not believe will actually go into effect. but I may have to as they seem to be getting Wackadoodle crazy about this.

I might call them Whackadoodles Prop Guards designed to whack away the FAA. UGH !
I just ordered the Carbon Fiber. :mad:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water ,

I just had a glimpse into the future of what I can only call Drone Wars : Two Drones colliding into each other at top speed with there bullet proof exteriors and Prop guards made of some gorilla fan polymer strands. This is going to be a Riot , I hate too spend my engineering time designing Prop Guards for something I do not believe will actually go into effect. but I may have to as they seem to be getting Wackadoodle crazy about this.

I might call them Whackadoodles Prop Guards designed to whack away the FAA. UGH !
I just ordered the Carbon Fiber. :mad:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water ,

You won’t need prop guards if you can prove your drone’s props will not be rotating as it falls out of the sky. There is a product out there that meets the first safety requirement and has the declaration of compliance approved by the FAA and stops all four props as it falls out of the sky. But it comes at a steep price, you know what I’m talking about. Yes you won’t need a waiver but the proof of compliance for the phantom 4 is $1500.00 not including the product.
Maybe you can design a set of carbon fiber wings the pop out like a switchblade and glide that bird home. Just a thought.
IMG_1609260493.781887.jpg

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
It will be interesting to see what retrofit devices become available for older aircraft, and their cost. One problem might be that the market for retrofit devices will be very limited (consisting only of drones old enough to require it) and any potential vendors may not consider it worth development costs. I suppose one other market might be hobbyist-assembled UAs.

It will be interesting to see what retrofit devices become available for older aircraft, and their cost. One problem might be that the market for retrofit devices will be very limited (consisting only of drones old enough to require it) and any potential vendors may not consider it worth development costs. I suppose one other market might be hobbyist-assembled UAs.
I'm seeing as just a waste of money for me, the way I see it I've got three criteria here:
1. something that is small enough for the drone to carry it successfully without sucking power to the point of making the drone useless.
2. something that is powerful enough to reach any receiver: that may be a possibility in an urban or suburban environment, but not here..
3. something that's not insanely expensive.

Pick two, three ain't going to happen.

I can see me just putting the phantom on the shelf with a sign stating "grounded by governmental regulatory overreach" on it, and having to get a Mavic Mini or something to continue flying.

Reactions: MTO and Budman
Fellow hobbyists..I've noticed many posts saying they'll simply become "outlaws"...don't think the FAA doesn't monitor these forums....just a thought...big brother's ALWAYS watching!

I'm seeing as just a waste of money for me, the way I see it I've got three criteria here:
1. something that is small enough for the drone to carry it successfully without sucking power to the point of making the drone useless.
2. something that is powerful enough to reach any receiver: that may be a possibility in an urban or suburban environment, but not here..
3. something that's not insanely expensive.

Pick two, three ain't going to happen.

I can see me just putting the phantom on the shelf with a sign stating "grounded by governmental regulatory overreach" on it, and having to get a Mavic Mini or something to continue flying.

Well, as I read it the device will only need to have a WiFi transmitter that broadcasts in the blind and a GPS receiver to provide the required information. This needn't necessarily be heavy or expensive as long as the battery is kept small. For the typical recreational day's activity of maybe a few hours of flight time such a device should be doable in a matchbox form factor. I don't think it's a difficult thing to do, but there will be development costs and... how many are you really going to sell? Enough to be (financially) worth the effort? To me that seems like the real issue.

Fellow hobbyists..I've noticed many posts saying they'll simply become "outlaws"...don't think the FAA doesn't monitor these forums....just a thought...big brother's ALWAYS watching!
If they'll put forth actual taxpayer-funded resources to come arrest a guy flying 50' AGL on his own property, a half mile from any property line and ten miles from the closest grown-over airstrip, that really says a whole lot more about them than it does about me.

Reactions: Basspig and AWD
They don't have the time to monitor this forum
And i didn't renew my registration
Should i post my address so they can come and arrest me lol?

Reactions: Basspig
Ahh, ok. So we essentially have 30 months to figure out how to get RID on existing phantoms if we want to fly in most places lol.

I didn’t read it that way. Maybe I am wrong, but from what I read if your recreational there is no ID requirement. If your Part 107 licensed for commercial use there is. Did I read that wrong?

Most any drone already has the required hardware (a WiFi transmitter and GPS receiver) onboard, it should be just a matter of some software/firmware tweaks to broadcast the data required by the FAA.

DJI

The technology company released a statement late Tuesday night. Here’s what it says:

DJI has long supported the FAA’s Remote ID initiative because it will enhance drone accountability, safety and security. The FAA’s deliberative process of reviewing over 50,000 public comments has resulted in a rule that will serve the whole industry, as operators move on to more complex drone operations that save lives and benefit society. We are reviewing the final rule to understand how DJI can take steps towards complying with the FAA’s upcoming requirements.

DJI Statement

Certainly, we anticipate that DJI will be making modifications to ensure that any drones in production include the technology by the time Remote ID is required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues