FAA Regulations--Please Read

Reaction score
Here is a post of a conversation I recently started with another member:

Good morning everyone. I am an inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) at their Garden City, New York office. I can certainly appreciate the fun involved in flying a drone--I am a retired airline pilot myself. And, I admit that if I were not in this line of work, I too, would be unaware of the regulations and laws that drone operators--you all--must adhere to.
Basically you are not allowed to fly higher than 400 feet above the ground. I understand that this puts a damper on your activities; but how would you feel if your drone collided with a commercial airliner and hundreds of people were to die? I know that is not something you would want to go through the rest of your life with. I'm not exaggerating, either. A large airliner such as a Boeing or an Airbus is not designed to withstand ANY impact once in the air. I assure you, I'm not using "scare tactics." If a drone were to collide with an airplane of ANY size, the potential for disaster is enormous. I am sure that many of you are young, and honestly haven't thought about it too much. I recently bought a Phantom for my son; so please understand I have no issues with drones. I only ask that you obey the regulations. Please vist WWW. FAA.GOV/UAS for the current guidelines on flying drones. We refer to them as "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" (UASs).
If you have any questions, I will periodically log in to this forum and be happy to answer them.
Thank you for your time.

Here is a post of a conversation I recently started with another member:

Good morning everyone. I am an inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) at their Garden City, New York office. I can certainly appreciate the fun involved in flying a drone--I am a retired airline pilot myself. And, I admit that if I were not in this line of work, I too, would be unaware of the regulations and laws that drone operators--you all--must adhere to.
Basically you are not allowed to fly higher than 400 feet above the ground. I understand that this puts a damper on your activities; but how would you feel if your drone collided with a commercial airliner and hundreds of people were to die? I know that is not something you would want to go through the rest of your life with. I'm not exaggerating, either. A large airliner such as a Boeing or an Airbus is not designed to withstand ANY impact once in the air. I assure you, I'm not using "scare tactics." If a drone were to collide with an airplane of ANY size, the potential for disaster is enormous. I am sure that many of you are young, and honestly haven't thought about it too much. I recently bought a Phantom for my son; so please understand I have no issues with drones. I only ask that you obey the regulations. Please vist WWW. FAA.GOV/UAS for the current guidelines on flying drones. We refer to them as "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" (UASs).
If you have any questions, I will periodically log in to this forum and be happy to answer them.
Thank you for your time.
Yet another uninformed government employee yes there is a advisory that asks us to limit our Altitude to 400 ft but contrary to his post or his understanding there are no laws on the books. For drone use. Yet at least in the new FAA rules will not going to affect for a minimum of two years by the time it gets through Congress

Last edited:
Seems odd.
Didn't ID him or herself, cite any docs.

Probably a troll.

Yet another uninformed government employee yes there is a advisory that asks us to limit our Altitude to 400 ft but contrary to his post or his understanding there are no laws on the books. For drone use

Please do an internet search for "The Pirker Case." The NTSB has RULED that drones are to be treated as aircraft. In order to operate them OUTSIDE the realm of the FAA's Model Aircraft Advisory Circular 91-57 (please see online), you need a pilot's license, etc. I agree it may seem counterintuitive, but it is in fact a law.

Please do an internet search for "The Pirker Case." The NTSB has RULED that drones are to be treated as aircraft. In order to operate them OUTSIDE the realm of the FAA's Model Aircraft Advisory Circular 91-57 (please see online), you need a pilot's license, etc. I agree it may seem counterintuitive, but it is in fact a law.
No one is going to take you seriously unless you identify yourself.

Do you have anything new?

This is just a rehash of the same OLD stuff.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I totally agree with the FAA guy until there is collision avoidance incorporated into UAV's. Which will be soon.

. Maybe you should do a little more reading that case was lost in court and it was only trying to enforce it on commercial use which in the current law still has no case to stand on as they have no rules in effect on the books yes this is a new proposed rules and laws but those are not in effect and have not yet been approved by Congress

Reactions: J.James
The FAA has the hobby guidelines listed here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft

In the following statement, they clearly state that these are guidelines -- rather than rules and/or US laws:
"Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines"

Even those these are not FAA rules or US laws, the FAA can still fine you if you fly recklessly. So, it would benefit everyone as a whole if these guidelines are followed.

I'm in the "We need regulations and licenses" camp and even I'm rolling my eyes at "Govman". Yeah, you certainly do need to identify yourself better if you wish to be taken seriously.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Please visit www.faa.gov/uas. I am only reporting the current regulations.
And as stated hundreds and hundreds of times both online and in forums as a recreational flyer the US currently has no rules that are enforceable yes there are pending rules in the pipeline but nothing that is been approved or Will hold up in court of law if tried to be enforced

Why I should give my real name on this forum? Why not go to the FAA's website and read for yourself, or do an internet search for "Pirker." I am simply an FAA employee attempting to avoid a catastrophe between a drone and a larger aircraft by spreading the word on what's legal and what's not. These rules aren't mine. Why all the hostility?

Why I should give my real name on this forum? Why not go to the FAA's website and read for yourself, or do an internet search for "Pirker." I am simply an FAA employee attempting to avoid a catastrophe between a drone and a larger aircraft by spreading the word on what's legal and what's not. These rules aren't mine. Why all the hostility?

The same reason I give my real name. If you aren't willing to stand by what you say, no one will take you seriously. My entire background is easily checked therefore I can't pretend to be someone else or make things up without getting called out. We're not being hostile, but making a username called "Govman" and acting like you're official is pretty silly. <shrugs> Good luck with this. :cool:

Just another guy high and mighty on authority with laws and rules that he thinks exist. Happens all the time. Like the whole cell phone video vs cops thing, where cops actually broke the law, actually they violated a US amendment.

Because you aren't the first "FAA Employee" that has come one here with this stuff. You don't need to be employed by the FAA to gain access to those documents, and since there are plenty of others on here already doing what you're doing, I question the value-add of you being here. Unless, of course, you are an FAA employee and can shed some light on things we don't already know or have access to freely.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
" Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to follow safety guidelines, which include:"

i dont hear squat about what i MUST do all i hear is what im strongly encouraged to do -,-

I, for one, have no problem with Govman's post. Nor do I think he needs to identify who he is because I've seen some real WackJobs on every forum I've participated in and I'm not going to give anyone my name!

He is entitled to his interpretation and has the right to make statements as he chooses. Frankly, I see good intent in his post...

The same reason I give my real name. If you aren't willing to stand by what you say, no one will take you seriously. My entire background is easily checked therefore I can't pretend to be someone else or make things up without getting called out. We're not being hostile, but making a username called "Govman" and acting like you're official is pretty silly. <shrugs> Good luck with this. :cool:

The funny thing is that I really am an FAA inspector. But even if I were not, have you gone to www.faa.gov/uas? Have you done an internet search for the "Pirker Case"? The facts are what they are regardless of who I claim to be.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic