FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when I am not flying drones, I am occasionally a "real pilot" flying Cessnas on the weekends. My biggest fear is YOUR drone.

I don't mean to single you out, but I couldn't help think of the above quote when I came across this:

Airplanes Hit More Turtles Than Drones

Seems a smart pilot would be more concerned about collisions with turtles than with drones. I will decline expression of my personal opinions on the necessity for FAA registration and regulation of turtles as i don't want to go off-topic.

I dare you to read that story and NOT laugh (even though it is not a joke).

I thought that icon was an admission that you were trolling, by pretending to be curious what quad some random person might fly while actually having a different motive altogether, in a thread where people are hesitant to admit to the federal government that they own quads.

But if I was wrong, and you weren't admitting that you were trolling with that icon, then my apologies up front.

But then in that case I'm not sure what you're suggesting.
No ..I just saw you had joined and not posted anywhere else but this thread .I just wondered what quad you have as many do put that in there signature and like I said was curios .
Some do join here just to argue or get in these heated debates . Not saying you did just saying that's all :)

Lets keep these post a little more on topic. No more made up scenarios, etc.
Facts about registration directly related to flying your Phantom (if you have one) or nothing at all.

Reactions: dirkclod
13. Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum or in the “off-topic” section and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.

Mods, can we just move this thread over to "off-topic" so we can finally discuss the issues that are REALLY at play in this government ordered "Registration"? It's become rather pointless to go any further here in light of the restrictions set forth.

C'mon guys, lets have a REAL discussion about why some of us are unhappy with this. There are obviously strong feelings on both sides. We're all big kids...let the chips fall where they may

Reactions: Navigator181
What if you have 2 Phantoms....can you use the same N number on both??
No. "N" numbers are specific to a particular aircraft.

However, this thread is about the NEW registration requirements. Not about "N" numbers.

And with the new registration process, you will be registering yourself. And you will use that registration number on any/all UAS that you operate.

Mods, can we just move this thread over to "off-topic" so we can finally discuss the issues that are REALLY at play in this government ordered "Registration"? It's become rather pointless to go any further here in light of the restrictions set forth.

C'mon guys, lets have a REAL discussion about why some of us are unhappy with this. There are obviously strong feelings on both sides. We're all big kids...let the chips fall where they may

May I suggest you start a thread in the off topic area and see who joins instead of moving this thread which has significance other than political argumentation

We will probably just close this whole mess up and put a bow on it. (see what I did there :D).
There is no new information that can be gleaned from this. I think everything that can be said that isn't hyperbole, sarcasm or just plain trolling has been said.

Hopefully this will calm down now that the obvious troll has been removed. It is clear he joined this forum to troll it and troll he did.
If anyone else here would like to disrespect all the members and mods here take note, we will not tolerate it.

Carry on with meaningful content that is relative. ;)

No. "N" numbers are specific to a particular aircraft.

However, this thread is about the NEW registration requirements. Not about "N" numbers.

And with the new registration process, you will be registering yourself. And you will use that registration number on any/all UAS that you operate.
Maybe I should not have used the term N number.....just a rookie here, I thought my question was about NEW registration of UAS.
But thanks, you did answer my question.....one number for all UAS I own....

I haven't flown in a few months and haven't been really following the registration conversation.

That said, I was wondering about where the FAA regs would fall out. I kept telling myself, the vast majority of UAV pilots, play by the rules. What is the big deal?

I think the whole issue with the FAA is being able to identify an operator IF their aircraft endangers or causes any accidents with manned flight vessels.

How can a commercial airliner traveling around 250 mph on approach, see and identify a 28 inch uav (probably hovering) at 100 feet off its wing? Did these events REALLY happen? Or is this a witch hunt?

I had cause to go into Frye Electronics in Phoenix a few weeks ago. What I saw were only a *few* "higher-end" UAVs like the DJI models and a couple others I can't recall the names of. All in the high-hundred dollar or thousand dollar range.

But... in the "TOY" aisle on the other side of the store, I also saw close to 25-30 really lower-end models in the $40 to $150 price point.

I got to thinking that these lower end models, with their attractive price and easy-to-fly capabilities are going to be the ones that are the REAL problem the FAA is trying to address. Millions of these will be under the tree this year for Christmas... Mostly flown by potentially irresponsible, unskilled, unprepared, un-knowledgeable operators.

I thought that perhaps a more sane approach by the FAA would have been to exempt anyone, or any UAV from registration if the aircraft had a GPS/flight management system. These systems are all in the higher end models, and those owners are the more serious, more responsible pilots.

As an example, if you try and buy the over the counter decongestant Sudafed (here in the US), you have to provide legal identification and your amounts are limited. (This is because it used to manufacture meth). If they can do this with an OTC medication, they can do it with these inexpensive UAVs.

Why penalize the good guys?

Just my $.02.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Sounds like we could use some pointed humor about now, while staying on topic of course.

For those suspicious of registration I'd like to announce my nephews new business.
This enterprising young man is willing to rent YOUR OWN DRONE back to you on a 99 year lease term, DRONE REGISTRATION INCLUDED!
How it works:
1) You sell him(via paper transfer) your evil unregistered drone for $1.
2) He will "rent" it back to you for 99 years “registration included“.
3) Sole requirement is that you must deliver it to him personally at the end of the lease term.
4) Lesser agrees my nephew is the legal owner of the drone and as such user must maintain my nephew's registration paperwork with the drone at all times. Registration renewals will be posted online for easy down load for the term of the lease.
5) All lesser information will be provided using the "honor's system" To help keep legal costs down.

This is a "limited time offer" because my nephew is moving to Guatemala with his mother and hasn't even been told of the financial windfall I'm about to sigh him up for. He will be so excited!

I SEE LOOP HOLES LARGE ENOUGH TO DRIVE A TRUCK THROUGH! And Doesn’t fix anything!

“his” other idea was to sell copies of his registration on Ebay, I’m sure it would be a big seller. Those “crazy” registration haters would love to have legal proof they aren’t breaking the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor