FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.
Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.
While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:
  • All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
  • We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
  • At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.
Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team
The FAA has clearly seen no demonstrated need, for many decades, to implement anything like this. So the evidence for blame points directly toward the multi-rotor users, of which I am one.
I was honestly hoping the FAA would have required a certification for use of multi-rotor aircraft before a retailer could sell one to a user.
So as this is truly a non-issue that this requirement is now in place, I predict the same renegades will continue to operate outside the law, and will force the FAA, and law enforcement agencies, to impose very strict user requirements that will eventually make it not profitable for manufacturers of what might have been superbly crafted photo and video utilities for those who treat this with the seriousness it deserves.

There's an exception to everything. Not sure about yours, but there's not much play in my battery compartment of my p3. Putting anything in there, sticker or paper is not going to work. I'm sure plenty of people will put them on the outside of their machine, if space allows. I was just throwing out an example. You understand what a hypothetical is?
I was just going to pencil it in. I think it will acomodate a few nanometer of graphite. I will let you know. I have a P3P too.

I guess that's going to depend on the registration number length. Personally, I won't put a piece of paper in the battery compartment, that's asking for a fire.
Put 1/4 of number on each arm, alternate between top side and bottom side.

We see stupid criminals on the news everyday.

I'm not concerned because it will be used for a 'nefarious' reason. My concern is some people that don't want to register, will just use someone's number, just in case they're ever asked, no nefarious intent. Then one day a malfunction or just a dumb crash into a house/car/airplane and bam... my number is on their unit and the FAA is fining me.
I only worry about myself. Let FAA worry about that someone else. Theybare paid to. I am not.

Well you have a choice to do it or not. So you are volunteering to do it, should you choose to do so. There are plenty of folks who have been told "you have to do X" by federal government (think EPA) who chose not to do so. With differing results.

You saw the penalties section right?

Yeah damitjim, what do have to hide? ;-/

Guys, if this database IS going to be public and searchable, is it really so hard to understand why this is so concerning to many of us????

Forget the person trying to mask his "nefarious" intentions by stealing your number...... What about the angry neighbor, beach goer, guy at the park who just doesn't like you. What about the local news reporter who fancies himself the next Bob Woodward?... What about the police?

There's a reason car license plates are not on a public website providing names and addresses to any stalker with a smartphone!
Your neighbors already knows where you live, presumably your name, you car license plate number, who lives in your house, what kind of dog you have, when you leave and come back. And maybe your credit card number if your mailbox is just on the side of road.

What information can they get that they don't already have if they wanted to? Just curious.

Your neighbors already knows where you live, presumably your name, you car license plate number, who lives in your house, what kind of dog you have, when you leave and come back. And maybe your credit card number if your mailbox is just on the side of road.

What the hell kind of neighbors do you have? They go through your mail?

This registration is for one purpose and one purpose only. Contract law. The FAA has no jurisdiction below 400 feet until you register with them and submit yourself to their fabricated authority.

The FAA and any government sponsored/endorsed agency can threaten and lie to you all day because in 2012 the NDAA legalized this type of propaganda: The NDAA Legalizes The Use Of Propaganda On The US Public

I will not be registering any drone I ever own or fly with these scoundrels. If a drone I am operating ever causes damage, I don't need the government's assistance to make it right.

How? Your drone's serial number isn't recorded in the registration process. How do you prove you don't own something?
Because he doesn't need to. It will be government job to proof he has association with drone in question. Burden of proof is with prosecution.

At least here in America. I am jot sure where you are.

Holy crap, these posts have been going on for over 24 hours now(btw damitjim is a classic assuming it's a star trek reference)! But can I ask something seriously. There's been on here complaining one way or another and at some point I had to work and couldn't go but has ANYONE actually been out to fly their multi rotor today? It seems this one topic that we all knew about has got so many in knots that their forgetting about the hobby itself. While we all clearly won't agree one way or the other about this, one thing is painfully clear....we all are passionate and love flying our rc's. And frankly this soon to be 800+ post is F-in ridiculous. So if you live where it's daylight or are simply able to, do me a favor and GO FLY and remember why you bought or built your bird in the first place.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Let me state categorically that it is my believe that I am more likely to have my P3P does an unexplained fly away and in the process damaging properties or hurting someone than someone stealing my registration number.

Anyone thinks otherwise?

Just to elaborate a bit on what I said.. they are looking to establish precedence and they will need registered drone operators to do it "legally".

Once they have established a historical legal precedence, we're all effed, they're registration rates and regulations will continue to increase, and our children will need to a license, registration, and insurance to operate a drone.

Holy crap, these posts have been going on for over 24 hours now(btw damitjim is a classic assuming it's a star trek reference)! But can I ask something seriously. There's been on here complaining one way or another and at some point I had to work and couldn't go but has ANYONE actually been out to fly their multi rotor today? It seems this one topic that we all knew about has got so many in knots that their forgetting about the hobby itself. While we all clearly won't agree one way or the other about this, one thing is painfully clear....we all are passionate and love flying our rc's. And frankly this soon to be 800+ post is F-in ridiculous. So if you live where it's daylight or are simply able to, do me a favor and GO FLY and remember why you bought or built your bird in the first place.
......I've flown mine multiple times including at work. I get on here while my batteries charge back up ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Your "question" strikes me as being rhetorical in nature, so might I ask how you would?
I wouldn't ask. And figure they can't, but you indicated yiu would rat them out to FAA so I was curious how you are going to go about that.

Rat them out is the same thing as tattle to your generation.

Reactions: damitjim01
I don't know what "rat them out" means. ....

Snitch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT