FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cop sees a guy flying a drone in a questionable way or questionable area. Goes over, asks to see registration. No registration? Sorry, bud. We'll have to take that from you

Unbelievable! Do you really think a cop has the legal authority to walk up to you and just take your personal property??? THEY DON'T!
They can cite me or arrest me for breaking a law that falls within THEIR jurisdiction....Period! Short of that, I don't have to interact with them in any way and they sure as hell better keep their hands off my stuff!

Reactions: speedytwenty
This registration is for one purpose and one purpose only. Contract law. The FAA has no jurisdiction below 400 feet until you register with them and submit yourself to their fabricated authority.

The FAA has jurisdiction 5ft above your chimney!

I will not be registering any drone I ever own or fly with these scoundrels. If a drone I am operating ever causes damage, I don't need the government's assistance to make it right.

You can choose to ignore the jurisdiction of the FAA which is all the air above the US from the ground up, but they can impose significant fines. You will wish you paid the $5!

Unbelievable! Do you really think a cop has the legal authority to walk up to you and just take your personal property??? THEY DON'T!
They can cite me or arrest me for breaking a law that falls within THEIR jurisdiction....Period! Short of that, I don't have to interact with them in any way and they sure as hell better keep their hands off my stuff!

Pretty sure cops can stop you if they have a reasonable suspicion that you may be doing something you shouldn't be. And I am also pretty sure they can enforce federal law although they are not obliged to do so.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Holy crap, these posts have been going on for over 24 hours now(btw damitjim is a classic assuming it's a star trek reference)! But can I ask something seriously. There's been on here complaining one way or another and at some point I had to work and couldn't go but has ANYONE actually been out to fly their multi rotor today? It seems this one topic that we all knew about has got so many in knots that their forgetting about the hobby itself. While we all clearly won't agree one way or the other about this, one thing is painfully clear....we all are passionate and love flying our rc's. And frankly this soon to be 800+ post is F-in ridiculous. So if you live where it's daylight or are simply able to, do me a favor and GO FLY and remember why you bought or built your bird in the first place.
I went out and flew my P3P, Blade Mach 25, and picked up a nano quad - Blade Inductrix. Batteries are charging right now. Had a great time in the cloudy 43 degree Puget Sound weather!

I am so glad there are so many talented, knowing people on here to tell me what to do, otherwise I would just be a wreck, a flippin wreck!

Pretty sure cops can stop you if they have a reasonable suspicion that you may be doing something you shouldn't be

Wrong....they can DETAIN me if they have reasonable suspicion I am doing something illegal as in breaking a law that falls within their jurisdiction. Unless they arrest or cite me, it's going to be a very short visit!

Reactions: WingedRyno
You may want to look up the "LAW ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE FOR SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED UAS OPERATIONS" document.

Here is a couple of interesting things in there like this little gem...

"The agency recognizes though that State and local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) are often in the best position to deter, detect, immediately investigate, and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop unauthorized or unsafe UAS operations."

and

"FAA aviation safety inspectors, who are the agency’s principal field elements responsible for following up on these unauthorized and/or unsafe activities, will often be unable to immediately travel to the location of an incident."

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Wrong....they can DETAIN me if they have reasonable suspicion I am doing something illegal as in breaking a law that falls within their jurisdiction. Unless they arrest or cite me, it's going to be a very short visit!
Well, let me just say this. Ido not disagree with you. But if I need to call a lawyer to come down to police station to get me released and tell the cops they are stupid, I have already lost more then $5 in time and money. What do I win?

I doubt I will have hit any pay dirt, it is not like LEO doesn't know how to **** with you just enough to get away with it.

Last edited:

Yes, they can detain you and hand you over to federal authorities.

You may want to look up the "LAW ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE FOR SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED UAS OPERATIONS" document.

Here is a couple of interesting things in there like this little gem...

"The agency recognizes though that State and local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) are often in the best position to deter, detect, immediately investigate, and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop unauthorized or unsafe UAS operations."
See my problem with this is, what 1 person might consider unsafe another would consider safe. Many times depends on the LEO'S frame of mind at the time.

The agency recognizes though that State and local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) are often in the best position to deter, detect, immediately investigate, and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop unauthorized or unsafe UAS operations

Quite a gem indeed..... Now show me where it says a local cop can arrest someone for violating this purely federal regulation

Guys, I'm bowing out of this mess. It's obvious there are two schools of thought here and neither side is going to change the others position. Also, given the fact I've been put on notice that my failure to register will be reported to the authorities or constitutes "unsafe" operation, I won't be back. Have fun all!

Yes, they can detain you and hand you over to federal authorities.
would them coming over to you while flying be considered bothering flight crew because the only reason we have to register is because congress decided drones are considered aviation vehicles which makes the flyer the flight crew

would them coming over to you while flying be considered bothering flight crew because the only reason we have to register is because congress decided drones are considered aviation vehicles which makes the flyer the flight crew
I believe you are referring to a rule pertaining to manned aircraft and I would think a representative of the law in the process of an investigation would not be considered to be bothering you.

This new regulation sure has been good for a few laughs at the overreactions and interpretations people come up with.
I was having a chuckle at some of the things being tossed around over on DJI's forum and this one gets the prize.
dji need to revise their warranty for the drone registration
so there is a part of dji warranty that states any modifications done to the drone (incuilding wraping a drone) will void its warranty. since the faa needs us to put stickers on the drone wouldnt that void the warranty? i need some clarification
And from his further posts, it seems he was serious!

Reactions: Reed L
Actually they can, it is called civil forfeiture. I had a Homeland Security officer walk into my shop and take a customers computer with out a warrant. He gave me a receipt of property but no warrant or subpoena and told me I had no choice but to give it to him.

Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The role of the task force was to (quickly) provide recommendations regarding how to shape and execute a much-needed registration policy.
I agree that rogue drone flyers are a real problem that must be addressed. Done correctly, registration could be a part of the solution. But make NO mistake .... we have morons out here flying quads into 300 year old church stained-glass windows, and crashing into stadium crowds. They are NOT good for a free society.
We are very quick to rebel when there is a need to do something to fix a problem, but look the other way as the problem becomes untenable.
I am playing, and I'm turning in anyone who I see without a registration.

I don't know what "rat them out" means. Maybe rats are something you know a lot about ....

There, as others have said, for your generation.

Quite a gem indeed..... Now show me where it says a local cop can arrest someone for violating this purely federal regulation

Guys, I'm bowing out of this mess. It's obvious there are two schools of thought here and neither side is going to change the others position. Also, given the fact I've been put on notice that my failure to register will be reported to the authorities or constitutes "unsafe" operation, I won't be back. Have fun all!
Its really a shame isn't it. I got on here for help with what I consider to be a very finicky drone, now I think I'll end my time because like you said, there are two schools, neither is budging, and its just getting tiring. If we cant stand together as a group, we cant stand period.

Actually they can, it is called civil forfeiture. I had a Homeland Security officer walk into my shop and take a customers computer with out a warrant. He gave me a receipt of property but no warrant or subpoena and told me I had no choice but to give it to him.

Yes, but that was a federal agent. Local police would not be able to seize property based on a federal regulation. I don't see the FAA employing a bunch of field agents to be snatching up drones.

You weak cowardly immoral unthinking dependent statist slaves that worship the government make me wish there was a hell for you to burn in when you die. It's unthinking slaves like you insisting that we all need your daddy government's permission to breathe that makes this world a living hell as it is.

I don't comply with liars, murderers, and thieves, especially the ones that call themselves government.

Wow, lol.

Reactions: Buckaye

You fell for the oldest scam in the books. Lol. Look, I have a badge, note gives me that computer. And here's your receipt. Bye (sucker)

You weak cowardly immoral unthinking dependent statist slaves that worship the government make me wish there was a hell for you to burn in when you die. It's unthinking slaves like you insisting that we all need your daddy government's permission to breathe that makes this world a living hell as it is.

I don't comply with liars, murderers, and thieves, especially the ones that call themselves government.

I like.

Reactions: speedytwenty

Wow is right VGT :eek:
Bye speedy :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member