FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got a point there... I don't need a license to pilot a pleasure boat but I do have to register it with the state, same with snowmobiles, etc. Why not register the drone vs. the operator?
That holds up, except for my scooter. They didn't register it in mo. As a matter of fact, I tried to register it because I was going through some states that required license plates, but they wouldn't give me plates for it, even though I could run it into a school bus, or run down a grandma walking across the street. I just wonder how long it will be before you have to insure drones in order to get registration.

That holds up, except for my scooter. They didn't register it in mo. As a matter of fact, I tried to register it because I was going through some states that required license plates, but they wouldn't give me plates for it, even though I could run it into a school bus, or run down a grandma walking across the street. I just wonder how long it will be before you have to insure drones in order to get registration.
Thats because you were under the .55lb limit... er I mean 50cc limit. Same diff. :)
In NY you need to register it but you don't need a motorcycle endorsement.
I bought one of these so I can keep flying legal! :D ONAGOfly Quad Only 140g
If only the government would move so quickly to stop people from spraying bullets into crowds. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Meta4
You're kidding yourself if you think it won't go up in the coming years. This is the birth of another bureaucracy, one that will come bloated and heavy handed in its enforcement in the future.
GA registration has been $5 for decades. That's where I am getting my best guess from.

JKDS .. You need to read and understand posts more rather than just seeing them as an opportunity to push your ideology and get argumentative with anyone that disagrees with it.
From sitting here reading 11 pages straight,I see Both sides push their ideology and get argumentative with anyone that disagrees with ' their' preferred side.

My problem with this FAA decision is that I have to register my UAV but the illegal immigrant down the street doesn't need to because our "leaders' want their vote.

Reactions: Reed L
From sitting here reading 11 pages straight,I see Both sides push their ideology and get argumentative with anyone that disagrees with ' their' preferred side.
Well.....isn't that how humans act?

Obviously, the AMA lobbyist didn't spread enough money/gifts around.

I don't think that was the case. IMO, AMA screwed us all by playing games. Look at their own announcement:

"Registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes."

"While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections."

They were looking out for themselves. As I saw it, they were delighted to see us "evil drone" people need to register, but not their "responsible" RC model flyers.

United we stand, divided we fall. They took an elitist approach and pushed for registration on the "little people." The plan backfired, and the FCC took the advice of the AMA to implement registration. Only the FCC decided to do it in a fair manner and no pick and choose.

The AMA should have stood up for everyone and took a hard line against any registration. Once they opened the door, it was all over.

I live and operate in the UK and can see the CAA likely to be influenced by the new regulation requirements demanded by the FAA in due course.Currently their whole focus is to bring awareness of existing rules and regulations as well as to educate and promote safe and responsible UAV operations.

However, things can and do go wrong as witnessed by stories of operator-at-fault crashes or unforeseen malfunction. As far as I can see, no mention in this thread has been made of the need to be insured for Public and Third Party Liability. I have this at reasonable cost to a limit of £25 million. This covers me financially in the case of any monetary claims but does not absolve me of any fault/wrongdoing on my part. It only covers me when adhering to the rules and regulations.

I would like to see it compulsory to require obtaining a suitable level of Public and Third party Liability as this would go some way in helping to restore the negative UAV press image in the media and the need by the regulating authorities to promulgate ever increasing draconian rule and regulations.

Wait till DJI has ya put your numbers in the go app or it don't fly :eek:
........its only a matter of time. Its coming. Many of us have been down this road before.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
.........so what happens if I register, put my # on a sticker, and it blows off in the wind????

This story of new drone registration requirement is all over my local news (Atlanta) and the national news!! I guess it's finally here.......... :(

Reactions: aka1ceman
I live and operate in the UK and can see the CAA likely to be influenced by the new regulation requirements demanded by the FAA in due course.Currently their whole focus is to bring awareness of existing rules and regulations as well as to educate and promote safe and responsible UAV operations.

However, things can and do go wrong as witnessed by stories of operator-at-fault crashes or unforeseen malfunction. As far as I can see, no mention in this thread has been made of the need to be insured for Public and Third Party Liability. I have this at reasonable cost to a limit of £25 million. This covers me financially in the case of any monetary claims but does not absolve me of any fault/wrongdoing on my part. It only covers me when adhering to the rules and regulations.

I would like to see it compulsory to require obtaining a suitable level of Public and Third party Liability as this would go some way in helping to restore the negative UAV press image in the media and the need by the regulating authorities to promulgate ever increasing draconian rule and regulations.
What is a reasonable cost in the UK?

Reactions: Skylark
This story of new drone registration requirement is all over my local news (Atlanta) and the national news!! I guess it's finally here.......... :(
It's been here 366 post back :)

Keep in mind it is not a final rule (an interim rule until comment period ends), I would suggest people opposed file comments on the register when it is available, I can not find it yet. I hope someone sues to stop this....and will put off registration as long as I can....come on AMA!!! The docket number is FAA-2015-7396 and the website for comment is Regulations.gov. It may be worth emailing the AMA asking them to represent us and file suit. I am against it because it is pointless bureaucratic waste of time and money, ours and taxpayers...In how many incidents were they unable to track down the person responsible?

I pay £33 per year and it also covers me for loss through theft etc.
For 25million in coverage?!?! I think it would be different here. Insurance co's are notoriously greedy in the US

My question was not what is the penalty but who has enforcement authority. The local PD don't have resources or authority, let alone interest. Does the FAA have air police?

If I continue to fly safe and sane, there will be no intersection of my activity with the system. If by some rare chance I run afoul of the regulations, the Feds are seriously going to spends tens of thousands of dollars to come after me?

Newsflash, I don't make enough money to pay the fine. Jail me, I lose my job and then I can be one more person on public support while I get my three hots and a cot.

It took them 211 pages of garbly-gook to try and sell/justify this crap after a handful of "reports" of which only a subset were even substantiated. How many actual incidents occurred? Is there a single documented case of a hobby drone causing damage of significance to rise to the level requiring federal intervention?

******* Don crashes into the neighbors car, he pays to get it fixed.
****** Ron clips some person on the ground he pays medical and damages.

This is what the civil courts are for, to handle claims of negligence.

This is just more knee-jerk, "think of the chirrens", over reach by the Feds to justify their existence and hire more unskilled mass to suck up tax dollars and then demand more. It only serves to appease the mental defectives who are offended by drones, the confederate flag, and high fructose corn syrup for no reason other than someone told them they should be.
Yep!

Reactions: aka1ceman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor