FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what a 5lb Seagull can do to a small plane. About the same weight as my Phantom, a bit lighter than some of my other quads:

I would have had to put on clean pants after that one. Whew doggy!

Reactions: Jeff48920
A friend of the family is a real airline pilot and I spoke to him last night about these hitting a plane and he said, they hit birds all the time and it doesn't really cause a problem. plastic is no tougher than bone.
so even in the very rare chance one of these got sucked into an engine, it's probably not going to bring it down. I certainly wouldn't want to find out. but there isn't any real evidence that panic is warranted either.

Planes also fly hundreds of miles per hour at 20-40k feet typically. I doubt our little drones are going to be able to catch up with one..

save someone doing that while they are on the ground at an airport. but in that situation, those folks are intending to do harm no matter what. making people register or keep drones LOS, isn't going to change that one bit.
I am not disagreeing with you, but your friend is only partially right if that all he said. Unmodified drones (P3s and others) and ones with older firmware can reach altitudes of 15K - 16K feet. That is more than high enough to get sucked into a turbofan engine. Once inside, just like a bird, damage will occur. How much? Ask Capt Sullenberger. If you are unfamiliar with the name, he had to land on the Hudson River a couple of years back - because of birds. Not every bird strike causes catastrophic damage, but any damage to a jet engine is potentially deadly. Continuing to fly with power applied to a damaged engine can cause the damage to get worse, enough to cause the engine to explode. That has happened and is in the public record. An exploded engine can cause debris to get into the other engines on an aircraft. That is also on record. The chances are low but it has happened. Even with the firmware modifications our P3s have today, in the right place, at the wrong time they can create utter havoc to commercial and private aircraft. Our P3s can cause a major accident/crash, but that doesn't mean they will or even have to. The PO determines the risk of accident by his/her actions. I completely agree that someone intending to do harm will not be deterred by the FAA Regs & Rules. They are there to prevent an accidental occurrence. I don't agree with all the FAA says or does, but rules are really only to keep the good folks within limits of good sense. Never think our small drones are not a danger to Jumbo Jets, Piper Cubs, or even Ultra-Lites.

Yep it's called Phoenix Flight Sim and it ROCKS!

I actually have used that very same airport to do some Sim Instruction with one of my RC students a while back. I just didn't know they had added the Phantom to the model list.

Here's a screen shot of that same flying site but using a high wing airplane
beaver.jpg
Fantastic and Yowza. Guess I owe Steve another YouTube example of a drone over a airfield. LOL
Maybe this would qualify......

Reactions: BigAl07
where exactly is your campaign to repeal it,

What is the process to repeal a rule? Complain? Done. You can't vote out employees of the FAA. Congress 'thought' they had restricted the FAA enough, but FAA lawyers have decided otherwise. Are you going to fund a fight of this, because I don't have the money or the time it'll take and the AMA isn't interested in fighting it.

What happens when a person who likes to fly where they shouldn't sees me flying my registered UAV, with my new registration number plastered on the side decides he is going to put my number on his UAV? He then flies where he shouldn't like he normally does and now if it crashes or flies away he just high tails it out of there. How can I prove that the UAV I have at home isn't one I didn't list in my registration or didn't just buy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you don't want to ride the wave, I would suggest staying out of the water.

Yeah, I'll do that by registering like any mature and responsible person ........ that has a friggin brain.
Do I like it, not necessarily .... but I have lived long enough to know when I'm dealt a bad hand, I can bluff (like some here are) or fold ..... and look forward to the next deal.

So I can expect Feds lurking around my local park after the 21st. That's laughable. This is "fear of getting caught" enforcement. I will shocked and amazed if I ever get asked for my certificate, which I plan on purchasing because of the fear of getting caught.

Reactions: FotoGeek
It will take a federal court challenge to the rule and it will take some harm to be alleged. At this point, I think that until someone is on the end of an enforcement action, there will be no challenge.

Okay Steve. You can be such a smug and picky guy. You know darn what I mean when I say illegal but for those who don't I will clear it up by saying that certain guidelines are currently endorsed by the FAA. With the exception of the so called "No Fly Zones" these guidelines are nothing more than recommendations and can only be enforced if someone is also engaged in a practice that the FAA considers actionable under its power to enforce actions against persons acting in a reckless and/or dangerous manner.

My post also contemplates the fact that someday these same activities will be codified as regulations that are enforceable on their own.

Some examples on YouTube that might get the attention of the FAA and could lead to an investigation into whether the operator was licensed or not.

Airport

Over 400 ft

over stadium while game is on
You first video is legal if he notified the manager. The second was recently made a no no, the third is not illegal but against the suggested guidelines.
At the current time there are very few laws that can be enforced.

What happens when a person who likes to fly where they shouldn't sees me flying my registered UAV, with my new registration number plastered on the side decides he is going to put my number on his UAV? He then flies where he shouldn't like he normally does and now if it crashes or flies away he just high tails it out of there. How can I prove that the UAV I have at home isn't one I didn't list in my registration or didn't just buy?

You must think you are required to tow a banner with your registration number visible from the ground??
Read the information - your number can be affixed inside the battery compartment where it not visible.

Next.

RC copters and planes have been flown for god knows how long, then quads/drones come out, and all of a sudden the FAA wants to get involved?

Reactions: Tommymonkey
So I can expect Feds lurking around my local park after the 21st. That's laughable. This is "fear of getting caught" enforcement. I will shocked and amazed if I ever get asked for my certificate, which I plan on purchasing because of the fear of getting caught.

I'd bet everyone here who has a drone that falls into the FAA category will purchase their registration certificate..for fear of getting caught!

RC copters and planes have been flown for god knows how long, then quads/drones come out, and all of a sudden the FAA wants to get involved?

Yea but did they have the ability to fly a mile high..and were there there millions of them in the skies?

You can't. You'll just have to accept that the gov't is here to protect you and pay the fine. Be a good citizen, for the safety of the children.

Reactions: yorlik
Part of me wants to have an ID card made with the registration number. Carry it in a wallet and if anyone hassles me about flying my drone whip it out and say "I am a REGISTERED pilot. Back off!" Perhaps that's just making lemonade from lemons though.
You're required to have the "Certificate" available (either printed or electronic) which should do the same thing should the need arise. Take advantage of the tool if you can.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yea but did they have the ability to fly a mile high..and were there there millions of them in the skies?

Yeah...guess your right. Technology will only get us into more trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94