FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so what exactly is achieved by this? What do we "get" out of playing their game? I already have a means to contact me listed on my drone. Who does the enforcement? I work for a local police agency and I know that they have no plans (let alone authority) to enforce FAA regulations.

Sorry, I don't plan on playing.
Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

this goes for all RC aircraft correct... Planes too? (If they fit the weight requirements)
Yes all RC aircraft fit into UAS. If it's between between 0.55lbs and 55lbs and flown recreationally this is your registration portal.

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
I'm sure you're thinking that same thing I am... YEA RIGHT! I find it hard to digest those fees. With that being said I am registering but I seriously doubt those fees will stick.

Certificate of Registration
FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CONFUSED.. NO THIS IS NOT A N NUMBER TYPE OF THING... NO NEED TO STCI ANYTHING TO YOUR DRONE....

This is not correct. All UAVs including hobbyist drones for which require only the owner to be registered ARE required to carry a sticker or other visible evidence containing the registrant's ID number

"Subpart C – Aircraft Marking

§ 48.200 General.

(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with this part unless the aircraft displays a unique identifier in accordance with the requirements of
§ 48.205 of this subpart.

(b) A unique identifier is one of the following:

(1) The registration number issued to an individual or the registration number issued to the aircraft by the Registry upon completion of the registration process provided by this part; or

(2) If authorized by the Administrator and provided with the application for Certificate of Aircraft Registration under § 48.100 of this part, the small unmanned aircraft serial number.

§ 48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.

(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool. "

Those penalties would be for bringing down an airplane. Not like you'd get slapped w/ 3 years in jail for flying in a municipal park...

Reactions: BigAl07
Those penalties would be for bringing down an airplane. Not like you'd get slapped w/ 3 years in jail for flying in a municipal park...
No doubt you are correct but it is still amazing that they could impose that draconian a set of penalties under any circumstances.

Reactions: JKDSensei
this goes for all RC aircraft correct... Planes too? (If they fit the weight requirements)
Only if they meet the definition of UAV in the Regulation

Ok I missed that part of the FAQ... Anyways nothing out of this world.. This does lil to nothing to prevent idiots from doing stupid ****.. Either way, I will register all my drones and engrave the #s on each of my crafts...

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok I missed that part of the FAQ... Anyways nothing out of this world.. This does lil to nothing to prevent idiots from doing stupid ****.. Either way, I will register all my drones and engrave the #s on each of my crafts...
Remember you only "register" yourself and once given a registration # it's the same and goes on all your hobby/recreational aircraft. Unlike commercial where each aircraft gets it's own N#.

Remember you only "register" yourself and once given a registration # it's the same and goes on all your hobby/recreational aircraft. Unlike commercial where each aircraft gets it's own N#.

Even better..

This could have been much worse. $5 every 3 years is nothing and you only have to do it for yourself not each aircraft. Thank goodness because some of us have accumulated several over the years.

But keep in mind IF you fly commercially this registration does not cover that aircraft. You still have to use the N# registration system and have that # on the aircraft you use commercially.

The documents says per model aircraft or per fleet for non model aircraft. Wouldn't the Phantom 3 fall under the category of model aircraft?

I think this is ONLY true for non-model aircraft (you can register a fleet). I beleive the Phantom is considered model aircraft, right? If so, you have to register each aircraft.

Can we still fly now? I wonder if when we register if we get a number at that point or have to wait. I see this applies even on you own property.
.. if you've already been flying you've got until February to comply. If you're getting your UAV for Xmas... you have to register before the first flight.

I think this is ONLY true for non-model aircraft (you can register a fleet). I beleive the Phantom is considered model aircraft, right? If so, you have to register each aircraft.

Model aircraft are defined in the regulation but a Phantom can be either as for model or commercial use. If just for model (or hobbyist) use the aircraft itself does not get assigned a unique number. The operator of Model aircraft is assigned a unique number and he then puts this number on ALL his UAVs. If a Phantom is used for any commercial purpose it requires its own unique N number which is only for that particular aircraft

The documents says per model aircraft or per fleet for non model aircraft. Wouldn't the Phantom 3 fall under the category of model aircraft?
Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?

A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS.

Ok, so what exactly is achieved by this? What do we "get" out of playing their game? I already have a means to contact me listed on my drone. Who does the enforcement? I work for a local police agency and I know that they have no plans (let alone authority) to enforce FAA regulations.

Sorry, I don't plan on playing.

What you get is not fined if you caught with an unregistered drone. The requirement is not that you have identifying information on the drone... it's that it's registered.

The FAA and local law enforcement will enforce the rule. Local law enforcement should refer these matters to the FAA to enforce the rule.

Model aircraft are defined in the regulation but a Phantom can be either as for model or commercial use. If just for model (or hobbyist) use the aircraft itself does not get assigned a unique number. The operator of Model aircraft is assigned a unique number and he then puts this number on ALL his UAVs. If a Phantom is used for any commercial purpose it requires its own unique N number which is only for that particular aircraft
Exactly correct.

Commercial gets an N#
Hobby gets an Operator specific ID # for all nonCommercial aircraft.

I plan to register but I think the 250 gram threshold is silly. I'll ask again. It's ok to fly now? When will it become illegal if not registered? I'm sure the system will get bogged down at first. I have a V262 Cyclone. With foam protector it weighs about 300 grams. Range and flight time is very limited but it will not pass without registration. This thing couldn't hurt anyone. Take off the foam guard and it's only 224 grams and it doesn't need registration but with exposed props might be able to poke you in the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic