FAA registration refund information

This information is available on the FAA's website here.

Odd... they can charge and register you online but can only manage to unregister and refund if you complete a form mail it to them.

Of course, we know why this is... because they farmed the registration out to another company who took our $5 and not that the FAA has to correct their own mistake, we (again) have to pay for this out of our pocket. $5 to register and $.50 to unregister.

Here is the truth... the FAA never had the right to collect $5.00 from people. They have all of our contact information. The onus should be in their to return what they did not have a right to take.

But I guess when you are the Federal Government you don't need to abide by the courts ruling.

Anyone still think the FAA is doing a good job with UAV's or that they have our interest in mind?

What NEEDS to happen is a motion needs to be filed in the same case having the court now rule that the FAA needs to refund the money without a request. That motion should be a slam dunk and take no time at all.

What NEEDS to happen is a motion needs to be filed in the same case having the court now rule that the FAA needs to refund the money without a request. That motion should be a slam dunk and take no time at all.
Agreed. They took it off my CC, they should be able to put it right back on. But....you want to bet it will be waaaaaay more complicated than that? ;)

Agreed. They took it off my CC, they should be able to put it right back on. But....you want to bet it will be waaaaaay more complicated than that? ;)

Lets complicated then a room full of people going through thousands of letters and matching up the information in their system.

_Clearly_ a money grab by the FAA. Stuff like this pisses me off to no end.

What's even more complicated is the FAA has not changed FAR 48 so you have a Federal court ruling and a Federal Aviation Regulation in conflict with each other.

Reactions: cfd701
Lets complicated then a room full of people going through thousands of letters and matching up the information in their system.

_Clearly_ a money grab by the FAA. Stuff like this pisses me off to no end.
Mine was free. Many also participated during free period.

Hardly seems clearly like a grab.

$1.67/yr really pisses you off?

"Bummer man" (the Dude)

Reactions: HIWEEL
So... do I have to return my cool registration card also? ;)

Actually I've shown it to a couple jerks who complain I am doing something unsafe and then show the card.

I got multiple years.. I don't remember how many. I think it was 35 or 36..not sure. But I'm just gonna leave it.
Sounds like you went through a 3rd party. It's $5 for 3yrs through govt.

In effect the "registration" means little to the authorities that will harass you in the municipalities, parks, etc. I keep the name of the local police sergeant who gave me the clearance to fly in our parks - with obvious restrictions around people or events. So far other officers have talked to me during flights and I had that information and all was good to continue. Some areas have other very strict regulations, of course.

Well... initially that (registration) was one of the first things the FAA told local LEOs to verify.

Reactions: HIWEEL
Mine was free. Many also participated during free period.

Hardly seems clearly like a grab.

$1.67/yr really pisses you off?

No.. but I thought I addressed that point.

Let's get on the same page. Lets say only 1/2 of the 820,000 people paid the FAA $5.00. That means that the FAA collected $2,050,000. Let's just call that 2 million dollars. Is that a lot of money?

So the FAA _illegally_ collected $2 million dollars and the _only_ way they are going to give it back is if someone completes a form, given out their credit card information or bank information and puts a stamp on it and mails it to the FAA for _consideration_.

If it's been determined in a court of law that someone took your information and money illegally, they should be simply required to delete that info and give you your money back. That is how it works. You should not need to get a court ruling that it's owed and then also jump through made up hoops to ask for it back.

So I take $2 million from you. The courts rule that I had no right to take that money. You are then okay with the rules I make up as to how you can ask for this money back?

So it's not about $5.00 per person. It's about the FAA being told that they were not entitled to our information and money and then coming up with some stupid dance we need to do to get those millions of dollars refunded and our personal information erased from their system. It should be on the FAA to correct their illegal act.... not each of us.

So you remember the FAA and DOT's press conference and them explaining why we needed to register. It was for safety reasons and they then told people that the problem was not getting the drone... it was matching the drone to the owner that was the problem. With 820,000 people registered, want to know how many times the registry information was used to match the drone to the owner? No really, guess! If your answer was ZERO, you'd be right on the money. The FAA flat out lied to people then and now that they have $2 million in illegal profiuts they want each and every person to jump through their hoops for them to correct their wrongs.

Does my $5.00 bother me? Nope. Does the FAA lying to people and then attempting to keep $2 million in illegal funds bother me? What do you think?

I paid the $5.00 less than a month ago knowing full well that registration had been knocked down in the courts. I paid it so that any future ruling reinstating the registration requirement would be less likely to affect me. I don't want it back- my number is on my Phantom- the cheesy semi-official looking card is in my kit. I have more to worry about. Just my opinion- you're welcome to yours...)

No.. but I thought I addressed that point.

Let's get on the same page. Lets say only 1/2 of the 820,000 people paid the FAA $5.00. That means that the FAA collected $2,050,000. Let's just call that 2 million dollars. Is that a lot of money?

So the FAA _illegally_ collected $2 million dollars and the _only_ way they are going to give it back is if someone completes a form, given out their credit card information or bank information and puts a stamp on it and mails it to the FAA for _consideration_.

If it's been determined in a court of law that someone took your information and money illegally, they should be simply required to delete that info and give you your money back. That is how it works. You should not need to get a court ruling that it's owed and then also jump through made up hoops to ask for it back.

So I take $2 million from you. The courts rule that I had no right to take that money. You are then okay with the rules I make up as to how you can ask for this money back?

So it's not about $5.00 per person. It's about the FAA being told that they were not entitled to our information and money and then coming up with some stupid dance we need to do to get those millions of dollars refunded and our personal information erased from their system. It should be on the FAA to correct their illegal act.... not each of us.

So you remember the FAA and DOT's press conference and them explaining why we needed to register. It was for safety reasons and they then told people that the problem was not getting the drone... it was matching the drone to the owner that was the problem. With 820,000 people registered, want to know how many times the registry information was used to match the drone to the owner? No really, guess! If your answer was ZERO, you'd be right on the money. The FAA flat out lied to people then and now that they have $2 million in illegal profiuts they want each and every person to jump through their hoops for them to correct their wrongs.

Does my $5.00 bother me? Nope. Does the FAA lying to people and then attempting to keep $2 million in illegal funds bother me? What do you think?
You make toooooo many assumptions to arrive at your point.

I paid the $5.00 less than a month ago knowing full well that registration had been knocked down in the courts. I paid it so that any future ruling reinstating the registration requirement would be less likely to affect me. I don't want it back- my number is on my Phantom- the cheesy semi-official looking card is in my kit. I have more to worry about. Just my opinion- you're welcome to yours...)

Same reason I'm not bothering, reinstatement is going to happen at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72