FAA License Anticipation

Reaction score
I had a part 333 waiver in the works under the old system and it wasn't approved before the FAA changed the game and came out with the new UAS Pilot certification available Aug 29.

I completed the required test for FAA certified pilots the first day it was available on the FAA site. The only other step for me is to bring my logbook to prove I am a current pilot and a filled out application to the FAA. I have most FAA licenses and have dealt with Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)s before. I thought I might get an appointment so I can manage the rush that I expect.

I called. No answer. Emailed. No answer. Called and got a person - she had no idea what I was talking about and had me leave a message on someone's machine who she said would be back to work in a few days.

I got a call back today, to my surprise, and I explained what I was trying to do. I was told that there are no appointments. - They may not even start on the 29th "you know how government offices work" (She freaking said that!). And to just keep going to the FAA website to see how things are going.

Hey, it's just my business...

So all I really need is the specific application form to fill out, and it doesn't exist yet.

I'm glad the FAA opened up the commercial UAS world to people who aren't pilots, but dealing with the Feds can be frustrating.

If anyone has any different insights on how to get certified, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

FSDO is going to be overwhelmed when they start taking on part 107 certs. I have a friend who is a designee. I talked with him about signing me off on the 107 certification and he too didn't know anything about it. He told me he would check on it and see what hoops he has to jump through to get an authorization to sign off on a UAV temp certificate. I'll try to call him tomorrow and see if he has had any luck and what the going rate is. Can't be too much. No oral, no flight check, just a signoff.

What's funny is even the people who are working on this for the FAA don't have the needed forms etc yet. I am good friends with one of the leading UAS guru with the FAA and even though he is helping to create this "stuff" he can't even fill out the form until it goes LIVE on Aug 29th.

He's very active on this group in FB and VERY helpful. FAA Part 107 & Section 333 Exemption

I talked with my buddy who is a DPE. He said he's been busy and it slipped his mind about checking with FSDO on whether he'll be able to sign off on the Part 107 cert. That would save ME a trip to FSDO. He promised he'd check and call me back.

05208cb992f2165bcf99d0b6d0a9a19a.jpg

Mission accomplished. It wasn't easy because this is new for everyone.

I was working with a flight instructor who also had to electronically sign the form on the FAA website, on the phone from our homes.

In order to electronically sign it though, we had to be on the same computer.

What a pain.

Nice to be done, very anxious to make some money with my P4 flying camera...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20