FAA exemption

60 days? Not hardly. Under "normal" circumstances they are allowing 120 days but due to a HUGE influx of submissions I would expect that number to go a little higher.

What's funny is that some people either "know someone" or just are very lucky and somehow slide to the head of the pack. I saw one that was posted to the public docket last week that had only been submitted 3 weeks ago. *shoulder shrug*

What happens is you "submit" your request to the FAA via their "Public Docket system". At some point in the distant future the "Docket system" will pick up your submission and post it to the Public Docket for comments. Once it's posted at some point in the distant future the next department goes though the docket and case by case reviews each one and makes the decision to approve, deny, or request additional information. What's funny is once the decision is made you get an email immediately and the details are mailed to you but the "Public Docket" doesn't get updated for at least another 30 days.

I watch it every single day and it's down right comical to see how many are posted to the docket each day (not many). Heaven forbid it's a day before or right after a holiday weekend because it gets REALLY slow LOL! That is your tax dollars hardly at work (see my play on words there?).

Here's where you would go to "search" your tracking # (emailed to you once you submit your request)
http://www.regulations.gov/ (enter your # into the search field)

Once it is submitted you can see it on the public docket at
Regulations.gov

As of today they are posting new submissions to the public docket that were submitted on or around July 8th, 9th, 10th.

Also posted to the docket today (this is just an example) is an approval for a request that was submitted April 13th, 2015 and approved August 26th, 2015.

There is no charge for the Section 333 Exemption Request or approval. The fees come from "complying" to the requirements: Pilot's License (~$10k) and aircraft registration (N#) which is only $10 per aircraft.

Can someone clarify this for me... If I want to shoot aerial images and video and start a business doing so, what is the cost to get all the correct exemptions/approvals/licenses. Trying to decide if it's worth going through for occasional odd jobs totaling a few grand a year.

Can someone clarify this for me... If I want to shoot aerial images and video and start a business doing so, what is the cost to get all the correct exemptions/approvals/licenses. Trying to decide if it's worth going through for occasional odd jobs totaling a few grand a year.

The actual "Exemption" is free if you do all the writing etc yourself.

Aircraft Registration $10 and I think that's annually

Pilot Certification $5K up to . . . . depending what certification you're shooting for. I'd guess that Sport Pilot could get in around $5k

The actual "Exemption" is free if you do all the writing etc yourself.

Aircraft Registration $10 and I think that's annually

Pilot Certification $5K up to . . . . depending what certification you're shooting for. I'd guess that Sport Pilot could get in around $5k

Do I have to get a pilot certification to sell aerial images?

Cerone that's a touchy question . . .GadgetMan gave the correct answer (In my honest opinion) but that topic is up for debate. Many MANY people think that "there are no actual laws on the books concerning Aerial Photography so you don't have to get 333 Exemption".

If you are looking to fly within current "regulations" you will need to get your Section 333 Exemption. In order to fly within the guidelines of a Section 333 Exemption the PIC (Pilot In Command) is required to be a licensed pilot. This could be as simple as a Sport Pilot or all the way up to Airline Transport Pilot.

The PL requirement has nothing to do with you learning to fly a full sized airplane (because the two aren't very similar in terms of flying ability) but because this is the only way (currently) that the FAA can know for sure you've been Trained, Tested, and PASSED the details and procedures for Weather, National Airspace, ATC actions and Radio Communications.

Hope this helps.

Cerone that's a touchy question . . .GadgetMan gave the correct answer (In my honest opinion) but that topic is up for debate. Many MANY people think that "there are no actual laws on the books concerning Aerial Photography so you don't have to get 333 Exemption".

If you are looking to fly within current "regulations" you will need to get your Section 333 Exemption. In order to fly within the guidelines of a Section 333 Exemption the PIC (Pilot In Command) is required to be a licensed pilot. This could be as simple as a Sport Pilot or all the way up to Airline Transport Pilot.

The PL requirement has nothing to do with you learning to fly a full sized airplane (because the two aren't very similar in terms of flying ability) but because this is the only way (currently) that the FAA can know for sure you've been Trained, Tested, and PASSED the details and procedures for Weather, National Airspace, ATC actions and Radio Communications.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone been fined or slapped on the wrist for selling aerial images?

I came across a local pilot who is selling a book of his aerial images and he told me he has no special licenses.

Has anyone been fined or slapped on the wrist for selling aerial images?

I came across a local pilot who is selling a book of his aerial images and he told me he has no special licenses.
There are some pending (I've yet to actually see this documented) but with that being said I know of no actual fines etc. All I know for sure are letters sent out to "educate" the business and awaiting a reply from the business as to their future actions.

With that being said... I'm confident that at some point there will be some highly publicized actions taken and I for one don't want to be any part of that. Just my 2 cents :)

Reactions: Cerone
Yea aircraft registration is a rocket ship compared to Section 333 Exemption processes. Mine took maybe 10 days? N828AN here :)
That was fast. My registration process has been going on about 30 days now. Seems like there's always one additional document to complete that shows up in the mail. So far it has cost $25, which really is nothing. I'm looking forward to getting my number. I don't plan on flying commercially. I see the number as providing a little more legitimacy to when I fly, and allow me to use Flight Service.

That was fast. My registration process has been going on about 30 days now. Seems like there's always one additional document to complete that shows up in the mail. So far it has cost $25, which really is nothing. I'm looking forward to getting my number. I don't plan on flying commercially. I see the number as providing a little more legitimacy to when I fly, and allow me to use Flight Service.

I'm going on about 2 weeks now, not sure how long it'll take. Haven't gotten any other documentation in the mail, and just paid the $5.00 fee.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl