FAA Drone Registeration Relaxation

Reaction score
A victory for drone hobbiests everywhere. An appeals court has struck down an FAA ruling that would of required for hobbyist and enthusist to register their drones. The FAA has long been concerned about the safety aspects of flying a drone as many professional pilots complained about a few close calls. The reason for the appeal was after John Taylor, a hobbyist went to Washington to appeal the FAA ruling.

FAA Ruling reversed. .png

Attached is the text of the ruling, the FAA have 7 days to review and respond to the court before the ruling is finalized. Note this ruling will not change requirements for commercial drone operators.

Attachments

• faaruling.pdf
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,213
Yes - but I'm not sure that hobby fliers are going to be celebrating in the long run. I suspect that this will be the trigger for Congress to overturn the Special Rule, which will open the door for far more regulation.
Agreed. Personally, I see this as always an ongoing battle. Probably lost on a technicality.

Commercial drone operation is under different statute, so it simply is not within the scope of this ruling. With the current administration's demonstrated desire to 'de-regulate' whenever possible and to avoid the imposition of new regulations, there could be a fair chance that this will not lead to additional regulation. Time will tell.

Agreed. Personally, I see this as always an ongoing battle. Probably lost on a technicality.

If you mean the recent decision was on a technicality, I think that I disagree. By even the most creative argument (and the FAA certainly tried to be creative), the statement that the 2015 regulatory action did not contrave the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 was hardly tenable.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
A victory for drone hobbiests everywhere. An appeals court has struck down an FAA ruling that would of required for hobbyist and enthusist to register their drones. The FAA has long been concerned about the safety aspects of flying a drone as many professional pilots complained about a few close calls. The reason for the appeal was after John Taylor, a hobbyist went to Washington to appeal the FAA ruling.

View attachment 82656
How is this a "victory"? The public perception is that drone user's will do anything to not have to comply with laws. The flagrant postings on the web by the law breakers, of their latest exploits, only reinforces that perception. If the good folks in this hobby do not rally together and support regulations that drive the lawbreakers into the shadows, like the cockroaches that they are, this hobby is doomed. Commercial & Public Service use of drones will grow dramatically, (as it should), while the recreational use of drones withers on the vine, (as it should).

Commercial drone operation is under different statute, so it simply is not within the scope of this ruling. With the current administration's demonstrated desire to 'de-regulate' whenever possible and to avoid the imposition of new regulations, there could be a fair chance that this will not lead to additional regulation. Time will tell.

With NAS safety on the table and a background of widespread public dislike of drones for noise, nuisance and privacy issues, I would not expect a blanket dislike of regulation to prevail here.

Reactions: BigAl07
How is this a "victory"? The public perception is that drone user's will do anything to not have to comply with laws. The flagrant postings on the web by the law breakers, of their latest exploits, only reinforces that perception. If the good folks in this hobby do not rally together and support regulations that drive the lawbreakers into the shadows, like the cockroaches that they are, this hobby is doomed. Commercial & Public Service use of drones will grow dramatically, (as it should), while the recreational use of drones withers on the vine, (as it should).

exactly, how does the 5 dollars every 3 years with no other requirement translate into a real hindrance to your hobby.

Reactions: BigAl07
Unfortunately our community is relatively new and we have next to nil lobby representation. Not what we want to hear, but with the current foreign and home-grown terrorist threats and DHS knowledge of the potential of drones being weaponized or used as surveillance and hacking platforms, their voice with that of the FAA may sway leadership towards more strict control. It's something we will obviously need to watch play out.

I'm 100% with sar104 and Crack The Sky here.

As a group we should be looking at the BIG PICTURE and realize that if John Q. Public feels like any drones is a renegade drone and there are no restrictions on them (registration etc) then you can sure bet more will be shot down and MORE regulations will be created when John Q. Public speaks with their voting power. Like it or not John Q. Public had some degree of comfort (right or wrong) from the fact that all drones over 250gr needed to be registered with the FAA. I for one completely agree and think ALL should be and then some.

While we may "think" we are a large group the reality is we aren't when compared to the general population here on Planet Earth and more specifically in the US of America. We have large numbers when we are talking drones as a group or on the forums etc but in the real world we are few and still look like over grown kids showing off our new toys. IF we can't demonstrate we are willing to register, regulate and PROVE we can be safe then UAS as a hobby could be out the window. All it would take it one major drone incident and WHAM we're stuck.

Unfortunately our community is relatively new and we have next to nil lobby representation. Nothing that we want to here, but with the current foreign and home-grown terrorist threats and DHS knowledge of the potential of drones being weaponized or used as surveillance and hacking platforms, their voice with that of the FAA may sway leadership towards more strict control. It's something we will obviously need to watch play out.

In the US, at least, I think it is likely more of an issue with safety and nuisance than with perceived risks of drone terrorism. Elsewhere the balance is clearly different though.

Reactions: Crack The Sky

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav