FAA 107 Certification

Reaction score
Hello,
What is the best way to prepare for the 107 test? For those who have it, is it a difficult process?
Thank you very much.
Terry

You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study guides here.

Hello,
What is the best way to prepare for the 107 test? For those who have it, is it a difficult process?
Thank you very much.
Terry
You'll need to study for quite a while - it can be a tough test. There are a number of online courses that people seem to really like. I personally studied for about a month on my own - there's lot of stuff online to help you. Maybe the hardest part is becoming an expert on reading sectional maps. Go to iFlightPlanner.com and look at the sectionals. When you can identify everything on it you've acquired the knowledge for ONE part of the test.

This is what I did to pass the 107 and some helpful tools.

BUY THIS BOOK! (Most helpful thing!)
Rod machado's Private Pilot handbook
Read chapter 2, chapter 6, chapter 7, chapter 9 very important, chapter 10 chapter 12 weather, chapter 13 Metar chapter 17 miscellaneous

FAR AIM 2017 (book)
READ PART 107 (a big fat book of rules, make sure to get the newest addition with 107.)

Download the Airman knowledge testing supplement for sport pilot, recreational pilot, and Private pilot PDF.
Download
Use this with www.DroneKnowledgeTestPrep.com
Get a membership it's only $35 for 6 mo.
(This site refers to the figures in the supplement)

Chart_users_guide_12thEd.pdf (how to read the chart)

Los_Angeles_99.pdf (VFR sectional chart) GET THE ONE FOR YOUR AREA.

Part 107 Knowledge Test (41 Questions Answered & Explained) - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA
(good info here)

ALWAYS NOTIFY ALL HELIPORTS!
Airmap app. For flight planning find nearby heliports to notify (this app gives you the airspace info and heliport names and numbers)

Airnav.com/airports. For phone numbers not listed in airmap. Just search the heliport name in the /airport section.

1800wxbrief.com (file UOA here under UAV's, and get weather briefs) file UOA Notice for all 107 flight, can do for hobby too.

Remember to keep some kind of log book.(not required but recommended)
I like mine on paper.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Wow! What a wealth of information. Thank you all.
Terry

Is liability insurance a huge expense?
Terry

so is this exam a mandatory one as getting FAA registration? I am taking baby step to this whole drone world so don't think I have enough time right now to prepare for the same...

so is this exam a mandatory one as getting FAA registration? I am taking baby step to this whole drone world so don't think I have enough time right now to prepare for the same...

upintheair, you can go here sUAS Registration - Create Account create an account and register as a model aircraft (for non commercial use - i.e. just for fun) and pay $5 to register.
You only need to take the test to use your drone commercially.

Reactions: upintheair
Just passed my FAA Part 107 exam yesterday. As a licensed fixed wing pilot, you can take the exam free on the FAAsafety.gov website as long as you have had a flight review within the past two years. Many of the questions can be familiar to licensed pilots and I would highly recommend this method of getting the drone pilot rating as there is pre study material and the final exam is free.

Congratulations, Sir. I hope to get the 107, but have Dementia and not sure if that will keep me from remembering the information. I'm going to try and prepare for it, anyway.
Terry

Reactions: runxtc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119