Extreme Long Range with Tree Antenna and Phantom 3 PRO

Thanks for the video about channelizer, i will get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,seems to be exactly what is needed to figure out wifi interference,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here is something interesting for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my so called "friend" has found a hacked version of the DJI pilot app that gives him all 32 channels of video. He showed me images by text of the app with the 32 channels. He also did a video of the distance but is editing it. Im sure he plans on selling a lot of this but, so far has not been so easy to work with. He claims to have gotten distances of over 30,000 feet so far.

worthless.gif

Reactions: sbarton
Last edited:
Whoever can solve this problem is a genius, truly ! IF you read previous thread i talked about how i am not getting range anymore with my phantom 3 pro and a mod to my radio. The mod is good, i have now used 4 different radios with mods for testing. I mistakenly believed the loss in range was due to the recent firmware upgrade which reduced the number of video channels from 32 to only 8., What i learned today from my installer friend, is that , when we were flying before and were able to fly 2 plus miles to the beach, the DJI firmware had already been upgraded to the newer firmware which only has 8 channels. So here is the 64,000 question. Why was i getting over 2 miles about 3 weeks ago and now only getting 2000 feet tops. Recall i am using a tree antenna and a cable attached to that. However, when we had a 50 foot crane behind my house testing, we had direct line of vision to the beach and still could not get past 2000 feet. Its only now that i am stuck at 2000 feet., Why did we get the range before but now nothing???!! My installer friend believes that someone in my area is using a wifi or signal jammer which could very well be. When i fly to a certain area over the canal, i lose signal, mostly the HD side, actually i believe it is entirely on the HD side. Arent both the RC and HD using 2.4 frequency? Anyway, i have tried everything, from using no boosters to using 2,3,4,6,10, and 20 watt booster all do nothing extra. i havent upgraded the antenna on my phantom which i will do shortly but even with the anticipated additional range, i am still at only 2000 plus feet. Thanks all fo reading this.

Yo said that you have installed antennas on top of trees. On high frequencies such as 2.4GHz cable attenuation is very high (no matter how good a cable you are using), my guess is that most of the transmitter power is being lost in the cable and the power amps (boosters) you have installed are getting much less power than they should. Therefore, your antennas on top the trees are radiating even less power than the stock ones. Keep in mind that the received signals (telemetry and video) are not being amplified by your boosters and that they are also being attenuated by the long cable runs from the trees to your transmitter. My suggestion, forget about the trees and use no more than 3 feet of cable from your transmitter to your antennas or boosters. Be careful with possible adverse health effects of being exposed to high power radio frequency radiation at close distance. Even 2W of 2.4GHz radiation at close distance could be risky. If possible don´t use any power boosters, just use good directional antennas and don't stand in front of them. Hope these helps.

HI, Thanks for your reply and information! I didn't fully understand the separation between the RC side and the video. I have done a lot of testing so far with my set up. We are using (2) omni directional antennas (basically looks like a straight rod) so wondering if that is good or what you suggested is better. Also, i tried using one antenna vs two antennas and for some reason the two antennas work better, thats one going out of each side. To answer the other person, i dont think the area i live in is too congested but its certainly not rural, there are houses around me, also lots of water, canal and beach. If you are getting 3 miles, than definitely dont need any upgrade to your system. My house sits inside lots of trees so thats why i have the tree antenna. As far as the boosters, did not know much of what you said either so that helps. I have tried lots of different booster, 2 amp, 3 amp, 10 and 20 amp. The 10 amp seems the best, but, if i understood what you explained, if i were to use an attenuator, that may work out better and maybe get some more range and better efficiency with the boosters? What is an attenuator? How do i buy one, what size, where?

IM also working on changing out the antenna inside the phantom,

Thanks much.
If you look at the blue lights on your amps , one will be solid blue and the other one will be flickering really fast . The solid blue one is your control and the flickering one is your video. On my controller the right one is video and the left is control . I hope that helps a little .

If you look at the blue lights on your amps , one will be solid blue and the other one will be flickering really fast . The solid blue one is your control and the flickering one is your video. On my controller the right one is video and the left is control . I hope that helps a little .
I hooked the sunhans up for the first time today and had excellent radio signal but my video was crapp distance was halved from flying without them not sure whats wrong.

Also you might want to take a look on fpvlr.com. Tony has a new bird side video amp modification. I had him do the modification for me and I should be getting my bird back Wednesday or Thursday and I'll post my results with it . The penetration should be awesome with amp on the video side with a 2.4 ghz dipole and he also put 2 2.4 ghz dipoles on the control side as well. I can't wait to try this modification .

Tony @ fpvlr.com is doing some awesome work!! The amp is very light at 15 grams and the power comes from the main smart battery .

Attachments

• 1450188228652.jpg
    1450188228652.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 416
  • 1450188237624.jpg
    1450188237624.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 429
I hooked the sunhans up for the first time today and had excellent radio signal but my video was crapp distance was halved from flying without them not sure whats wrong.
Have you check the obvious stuff like the cable connections . Making sure the correct ends match up. Once I had the 2 male ends connected together and that didn't work too well lol . You could have a bad cable that happened to me and my distance went to crap on the video side . If you have some different csbles I would try switching them out. Or you could switch the rc and video cable and see if the problem switches to the rc distance .

Have you check the obvious stuff like the cable connections . Making sure the correct ends match up. Once I had the 2 male ends connected together and that didn't work too well lol . You could have a bad cable that happened to me and my distance went to crap on the video side . If you have some different csbles I would try switching them out. Or you could switch the rc and video cable and see if the problem switches to the rc distance .
Lol as soon as I typed that message I was like Doh there is obvious problem with the video connection sure enough checked the power cable i made and had a negative wire loose.problem solved looking forward to the next test flight :)

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Lol as soon as I typed that message I was like Doh there is obvious problem with the video connection sure enough checked the power cable i made and had a negative wire loose.problem solved looking forward to the next test flight :)
Glad you got it fixed . Happy safe flights !!

Post your problems on FPVLR's Facebook page. Tony answers problems/questions within the hour during most of the day. Excellent customer service.
Security Check Required

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31