external hard drive for P4P ??

Reaction score
do any of you guys use a hard drive to upload your videos and photos?
can you hook up an external hard drive directly to the aircraft or the RC to upload photos?
if you're out in the field doing work how would you transfer the photos from the aircraft to a hard drive?

Reactions: Photographicsteve
The short answer is no, not without some intermediary interface.
Buy enough fast SD cards - expect to use up to about 10GB - 12GB per battery in 4k/30 - and swap out each battery

If you're out in the field doing work how would you transfer the photos from the aircraft to a hard drive?

I do most of my swapping round at home where it's warm and cosy...
But...
No I don't.
No I can't.
Out in the field with nothing at all?.... Even when flying I'm rarely far from my car and in that situation I would slot the SD card into my laptop and (assuming its internal battery had already run out), would power it from an inverter to write everything to a 4GB portable hard disk. Memory storage is dirt cheap nowadays....

do any of you guys use a hard drive to upload your videos and photos?
can you hook up an external hard drive directly to the aircraft or the RC to upload photos?
if you're out in the field doing work how would you transfer the photos from the aircraft to a hard drive?
They have, in the field hard drives that you can dump your sd card into.

Reactions: CANEKiTA
are there any external hard drives that you can insert a MicroSD right into.
I have an iPad 2017 what would work with that?

They have, in the field hard drives that you can dump your sd card into.
Yes- I use a WD portable that has a file server built in (wifi or USB3 connectable) and a really good feature is the SD card slot. I simp directly to it in the field and connect with my iPad or phone to make sure the transfers were good before reformatting the SD’s in the AC.

Yes- I use a WD portable that has a file server built in (wifi or USB3 connectable) and a really good feature is the SD card slot. I simp directly to it in the field and connect with my iPad or phone to make sure the transfers were good before reformatting the SD’s in the AC.
would you have a model number for that

would you have a model number for that
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=KMFOWry5OIfp8wex6qSICA

Here's a faster and cheaper solution:
i-hhbjm5f-L.jpg

Reactions: Filip
thanks guys I really appreciate the help.
I just ordered the WD 2tb Wireless Pro, looks like a great product. Thanks again for the input

Reactions: Tom D - OHIO
I think I put together a pretty good setup so far, pretty happy with it. now that it's after the holidays I started studying for the 107 certification I only got part way into it in my head is ready to explode .
talk about a bunch of BS that we don't even really need to know about. Don't understand why I A hobbyist need to know the markings on an airport landing field, when I'm not even allowed within 5 miles of it. Oh well got to do what I got to do.

I have a 128GB uSD card in the drone (P4P) and have never needed to swap it out during the day and only when I return at the end of the day do I remove it from the drone and copy the files to my PC. When travelling the PC is a laptop but when home its a desktop. I also make copies of the files onto removable HD's of 2TB and 4TB size. I have about 8 externals of 2TB or 4TB so I try to have three copies of all files. Some HD's are for my still images (DSLR's) and others for video and drone video. In addition to that I have a 512GB Samsung external SSD that I use mostly when travelling owing to the speed -- after a long day of shooting it can take hours to download and copy 100GB or mroe of video files between the drone and my 4K video/still camera (Panasonic G85).

My desktop has, at present, two 6TB HD's -- one for drone video and the other for my still and video cameras. I will probably need to add more storage within the next year. 4K video at 100Mbps eats through storage like its going out of style...

Brian

I have a 128GB uSD card in the drone (P4P) and have never needed to swap it out during the day and only when I return at the end of the day do I remove it from the drone and copy the files to my PC. When travelling the PC is a laptop but when home its a desktop. I also make copies of the files onto removable HD's of 2TB and 4TB size. I have about 8 externals of 2TB or 4TB so I try to have three copies of all files. Some HD's are for my still images (DSLR's) and others for video and drone video. In addition to that I have a 512GB Samsung external SSD that I use mostly when travelling owing to the speed -- after a long day of shooting it can take hours to download and copy 100GB or mroe of video files between the drone and my 4K video/still camera (Panasonic G85).

My desktop has, at present, two 6TB HD's -- one for drone video and the other for my still and video cameras. I will probably need to add more storage within the next year. 4K video at 100Mbps eats through storage like its going out of style...

Brian
The way I'm going and have to get my own cloud. Thanks for the info

The way I'm going and have to get my own cloud. Thanks for the info

Cloud storage sounds appealing, but when you need to upload 100GB of data you're going to bust through data caps pretty fast with a smartphone and transfer times using a hotels wifi can be unbearable -- and that's before you count the cost of having cloud storage of TB's. There are some undeniable benefits to cloud storage and for me the big one is redundancy offline storage so it your house burns down you still have a copy.

Brian

That sounds like you are conscientious about backing up .... yet you keep a whole day's eggs in a 128 GB flying basket?

That sounds like you are conscientious about backing up .... yet you keep a whole day's eggs in a 128 GB flying basket?

Yes, this thing about swapping cards has been around since the first DSLR's and there is one school that says to swap out the card every flight or, in the case of a DSLR, every hundred or so images. This concept SEEMS to make sense, but in 15+ years this has never been a problem for me. Bear in mind that every time you swap out the card you run the risk of damaging or losing it -- this is a major fear of mine when out in the field and less of a concern at home. You press the card and it pops out and then you go -- WTF did it go?

So, there are trade-offs to the swap the card theory and as for me I use top quality cards, always format the card when I put it back in the drone, and use care when removing and inserting the cards. What would be nice is a dual card system like many DSLR's have and being able to write all files to both would lessen that risk. There is no free lunch...

Brian

Reactions: thatsanicepicture

Brian
What in the beJesus are you guys taking pictures of? Oh, trees and buildings and grass? Oh OK. Yeah those are getting scarce. :)

The way technology is just flying, somebody's going to run out of storage room somewhere.
15 years ago my wife and I went to Poland to adopt our two children, while we were there I noticed that people there had cameras in their flip phones .I said look honey they have cameras in their phones.
that's only 15 years ago , look at where technology is now.
And where were we 15 years before the flip phone?
holy crap where we going to be in 10 years?
and you really realize how fast technology is going think about this, everything were using and doing right now will be obsolete.

From the first compact cassette tape invention to come out on the market until the first compact disc came out on the market was 20 years

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl