External Antenna Mod for the FC40 cam :)

robinb said:
There is an app in play store, dji fc40

amazon products do not use the app store. They are forced to use the amazon app store.
He would need to download the apk file online and side load it (if its compatible with his device)

But when I use my kindle fire even before I moded that i was getting even farther range by its self then i could with a good repeater/range extender. So with range extender it was actually a range shortener with the kindle which with out the extender was getting me out to about 350m.

Is there an app on the kindle fire? I have a fire hdx and can't find an app to use with the FC40.
Thanks[/quote]

sideload the 1mobile app for tablets by going to 1mobile.com/app/market/ and clicking the green download button which will download the 1mobile market app. Then once you have the 1modile app installed you can use that to go and search for apps that are meant for regular android tablets. and search on 1mobile for DJI FC40 and install it. They also have the battery count down app that also works on the kindle. Just sucks tho that I will not let me install the app for the phantom vision cause that needs android 4.something to be able to install and the kindle is a lower version. I'm a lil bit PO that to use the vision I just got that I will be forced to use the smart phone and a repeater to get less range then I can for the fc40. :-(

Also here is a link showing how to install the 1mobile app on any kindle http://www.lovemyfire.com/side-loading- ... -fire.html Big thing is you just have to make sure you change the setting to allow installation of 3rd party apps.

Dragonash, I just got the MR3040 and cracked it open to do the external antenna mod. I tried to follow the video you posted but couldn't tell where the positive and negative connects to. How did you wire this up?

Oliver84 said:
Dragonash, I just got the MR3040 and cracked it open to do the external antenna mod. I tried to follow the video you posted but couldn't tell where the positive and negative connects to. How did you wire this up?

congrats on getting the case apart. You just completed the toughest part!

this should help
http://www.minipwner.com/index.php/foru ... ntenna-mod

click on the picture in the thread. they get larger

Thanks for your help Dragonash! I did it but the signal isn't as great as I was hoping for. I moved this over to another thread though since this one is more about a mode with the camera and not the repeater. Check out my post under "Extending the wifi range of the FC40 camera". Felt like it was more appropriate there. I'll check back here when I'm ready to open up the camera! =)

dragonash said:
IIVII said:
am on a biz trip , but i have an idea and i just need to do some actual testing .. if it works u guys will enjoy at least 1500m wifi link to the FC40 cam and possibly the GoPro without openin' them up :cool:

just hang in there till next week :)

I have never been able to successfully link my gopro with my ddwrt router or the tp-link router.

i don't have a GoPro , but i think it should work .. take a look at the links below !!

http://www.goprofanatics.com/gopro-hd-h ... o-pro.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRWhywTOnpk

Hi, got the lead, got the front off, and the small screw out, then couldn't get the rest out of the case.
I see you've taken the back off as well. Are there more screws holding it all togeather?
Kim..

Oliver84 said:
I just tried it with my Nexus 7 and I got maybe 150m? Something doesn't sound right. I even tried with a desktop router Linksys E1550 as a repeater and I could only get about 150m...
Hey guys. New to the forum. I found that by making a tin foil parabola around my iPhone, tripled my range on my fc40 camera. I just held it on top of my phone facing the camera and I got 980 feet.

tin foil parabolas do work petty good.

I made a sun shield for my phone and taped it just above the phone facing the camera and it worked great.

So the phone is in the clamp with the sun shade around it and then you taped foil to the back side and top of the phone/shade and kept the camera facing towards the back of the TX?

Or is the tin foil acting as the sun shield?

Guys, believe me, you really don't want anything metal near your Phone/transmitter unless your using it as a way to import/export a signal between an amplifier and the device. But Duck tape is fine....It's got no metal in.
It's abit like having an X-ray with a lead suit on, ut less exstream. Think about the GPS receiver in the Phatom, it's got a Shield (which with out looking I'd guess was tied to Ground to stop stray signals from the receiver/Naza upsetting the GPS module. Wrapping stuff even in sticky tin foil will become a barrier, as the signal WILL find a way to it's ground, or be shielded from a an external signal.
Hmmmmm did I explain that ok? I must take the lid off the Phantom and do some exploring, just for the hell of it.

Ex. G7JYT now another callsign

Talking of that..... I wonder if there is any type of suppression on the prop motor coils, or for those that have them gimbal motor coils. I don't know I haven't looked, but I will. I don't know brushless motors, but having magnetic coils to work, with what I'm going to guess is PWM means that if they aren't screened, the could at least cause spike in a signal when energising and de-energising....

Well you dont want to wrap the antenna in metal and block the signal if using a reflector. a reflector is to bounce the single thats radiating the other direction and focus it making it more directional and more going towards the direction you want it in.

Which is a totally different thing then using metal to shield some thing from interference or to conduct interference and around and away from some thing. but the copper shielding under the gps sort of both shields it from any stray interference from underneath but also acts as a reflector to bounce some of the gps signal of the top of the metal back towards the Gps antenna.

The dji Re700 range extender also uses shielding to do both. On the back side its got copper shielding to help block any interference coming in threw the back side and it also can help to bounce some of the signal out towards the phantom.

Hi Guys

I really wonder what's the range you got? Any improvements? because i cant wait to mod my cam :)

I'm curious if the random drop outs still occur after this external antenna mod. I get them within 30 feet of the phone, with or without the wifi repeater.

tmartin62 said:
I'm curious if the random drop outs still occur after this external antenna mod. I get them within 30 feet of the phone, with or without the wifi repeater.

Which area are you flying in?
Is there too much wifi interference around?(like in residential areas?)
That could be one reason.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj