External Antenna Mod for the FC40 cam :)

J.James said:
Being its a phone ya that sounds about normal even a lil bit better then some get on just a smart phone. My Lg only gets a tad over 100m tho 100m is the range DJI rates them at.

But the Linksys E1550 repeater I would of assumed would have better range then that but I just did some poking around the net real quick and see lots of reviews saying it really sucks for range.

yeah, i dont think that linksys router has external antenna.

Correct, it doesn't have an external antenna. I just thought it would be better suited since it's an "N" router compared to my old wrt54g which isn't an "N" router. However, my 54g does have external antennas so I think I'll just turn that into a repeater and see how that goes.

I'm basically trying to see how far I can go before I need to add an external antenna to the cam or modifying anything. Like that I have a good comparison when I do the external mod. Some of you have said that I should be getting close to 1,000 ft in urban areas but I'm not getting anywhere near that. I'll try getting my 54g running as a repeater and see if that gets me any closer to that.

Has anyone modded their camera yet? I am still curious about the range.

Oliver84 said:
Correct, it doesn't have an external antenna. I just thought it would be better suited since it's an "N" router compared to my old wrt54g which isn't an "N" router. However, my 54g does have external antennas so I think I'll just turn that into a repeater and see how that goes.

I'm basically trying to see how far I can go before I need to add an external antenna to the cam or modifying anything. Like that I have a good comparison when I do the external mod. Some of you have said that I should be getting close to 1,000 ft in urban areas but I'm not getting anywhere near that. I'll try getting my 54g running as a repeater and see if that gets me any closer to that.

you will need to install DDWRT. Search this forum, there are instructions on how to do that.

dragonash said:
you will need to install DDWRT. Search this forum, there are instructions on how to do that.

Yea, I've already got DD-WRT running on it. I'm actually using it as a bridge right now but I'll just swap it and use that one as the repeater for my FC40.

Oliver84 said:
dragonash said:

Yea, I've already got DD-WRT running on it. I'm actually using it as a bridge right now but I'll just swap it and use that one as the repeater for my FC40.

this is what i did to install better antennas on mine
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Mak ... /?ALLSTEPS

however, I recently upgraded to the TP-link and modded it with a directional antenna. The size lets me mount it on my controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIn6D_2YiE

dragonash said:
this is what i did to install better antennas on mine
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Mak ... /?ALLSTEPS

however, I recently upgraded to the TP-link and modded it with a directional antenna. The size lets me mount it on my controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIn6D_2YiE

Holy cow, that's intense! That's a pretty indepth mod for your 54G. Thanks for sharing, I really like the portability of the TP-link since it has an internal battery. I was just concerned about the range of it because of it's size but it sounds like you get pretty good range after you add the external antenna to it.

getting close to 1,000 ft in urban areas is by using a repeater with a built in single booster like a hawking HWREN2 whic will go about 1000 feet. But for the price of one of them some one could get a kindle fire and just use that and it goes out to about 1150 feet in an urban area. without any mods.

Kindle Fire must have much better range than a Nexus 7 then because I'm only getting a max of 200m with my nexus 7.

Ya i think that being the kindle is made to be used on wifi were as phone is made to be used on an expensive data plan so they probably tend to make it so one is less apt to be able to use wifi at any kind of distance

I'm very keen to try this mod on my FC40. Can someone suggest a 'safe' way to remove the front cover of the camera, without snapping the plastic?

Thanks!

A

IIVII said:
u asked for it .. so here it is :cool:

[/b]
X4XWIB.jpg

IIVII -

I have a question.
Is it possible to extend the lens part with some sort of cable (similar to the ar drone camera)?

I would love to test out if its possible to sticky the lens on my gopro, that way I can follow the gopro when I control the pitch

dragonash

i didn't really pay attention to how the cam is attached to the board , but i believe it's soldered directly to it .. so relocating the lens would require microscopic soldering :)

IIVII said:
dragonash

i didn't really pay attention to how the cam is attached to the board , but i believe it's soldered directly to it .. so relocating the lens would require microscopic soldering :)

oh well. worth a shot :)

am on a biz trip , but i have an idea and i just need to do some actual testing .. if it works u guys will enjoy at least 1500m wifi link to the FC40 cam and possibly the GoPro without openin' them up :cool:

just hang in there till next week :)

This sounds awesome! :D

IIVII said:
am on a biz trip , but i have an idea and i just need to do some actual testing .. if it works u guys will enjoy at least 1500m wifi link to the FC40 cam and possibly the GoPro without openin' them up :cool:

IIVII said:

I have never been able to successfully link my gopro with my ddwrt router or the tp-link router.

This is such a cool mod, will be interested in distance and also how you modify a go pro as well.

I found the transmitter on ebay, it says the weight is 400grams is that correct ?

But when I use my kindle fire even before I moded that i was getting even farther range by its self then i could with a good repeater/range extender. So with range extender it was actually a range shortener with the kindle which with out the extender was getting me out to about 350m. [/quote]

Is there an app on the kindle fire? I have a fire hdx and can't find an app to use with the FC40.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20