External Antenna in a Tree or Pole

Reaction score
Folks, I would like to know how difficult it would be to mount an external antenna to a pole or tree so that I could get additional range in an urban area. I currently have the Titan Conquer antenna system on my Phantom 4 controller. I was thinking of placing an antenna in a tree, running the cable back to my controller. Why? Because I don't think no one has done it. I love to see different ideas you guys have with drones! I think it would be cool to fly my bird from my living room. I don't care how much sense it makes I just want to know if anyone could tell me how to do it.

I use high quality aluminum/fiberclass telescoping tailgate flagpoles for the job. I have a 20' and a 28' and use one, the other, or put one on top of the other. I have a steel sleeve in the ground embedded in concrete for the base. You can also take it on the road and use a tire mount type of base.

https://www.amazon.com/TopFlight-Te...06272976&sr=8-1&keywords=top+flight+flag+pole

https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Go-Fiberglass-Portable-Flagepole/dp/B002KV57SM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1506273033&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=28'+tailgate+flag+pole

Aluminum Wheel Stand for 20' Telescoping Flag Pole

DCP_7069 — Postimage.org

With a receiver mount, you can fly, lower the telescoping pole, drive a short distance, then raise it and fly again

Trailer Hitch Mount for 20' Telescoping Flag Pole

If you want to get serious, you'd make a tilt-over tower.

How to build a Tilt Over Tower

Don't cheap out on the cable. I like CA400

CA400 Coax By the Foot | Equivalent to LMR400

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent10
My concern is the heavy loss of RF in the transmission line. There is a point where range gained from increased height is offset by cable loss. You should consider LMR 400 at least for cable. There are more with less loss but they get hard to flex. I would suggest building a directional antenna and run it at a lower height. The direction antenna directs most of the RF in the desired direction while rejecting interference from others. You can find a very good 2.4GHz dish antenna that provides some 21 DBi gain, on AMAZON for about $45.00. If you need 5.8 GHz, these are also available and a lot smaller. Of course the dish needs to be turned as the drone changes azimuth.

Keep posting on your results.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

My concern is the heavy loss of RF in the transmission line. There is a point where range gained from increased height is offset by cable loss. You should consider LMR 400 at least for cable. There are more with less loss but they get hard to flex. I would suggest building a directional antenna and run it at a lower height. The direction antenna directs most of the RF in the desired direction while rejecting interference from others. You can find a very good 2.4GHz dish antenna that provides some 21 DBi gain, on AMAZON for about $45.00. If you need 5.8 GHz, these are also available and a lot smaller. Of course the dish needs to be turned as the drone changes azimuth.

Keep posting on your results.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF
Great information, Thanks!

I use high quality aluminum/fiberclass telescoping tailgate flagpoles for the job. I have a 20' and a 28' and put one on top of the other. I have a steel sleeve in the ground embedded in concrete for the base. You can also take it on the road and use a tire mount type of base.

https://www.amazon.com/TopFlight-Te...06272976&sr=8-1&keywords=top+flight+flag+pole

https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Go-Fiberglass-Portable-Flagepole/dp/B002KV57SM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1506273033&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=28'+tailgate+flag+pole

Aluminum Wheel Stand for 20' Telescoping Flag Pole

DCP_7069 — Postimage.org

If you want to get serious, you'd make a tilt-over tower.

How to build a Tilt Over Tower

Don't cheap out on the cable. I like CA400

CA400 Coax By the Foot | Equivalent to LMR400

Good luck
Outstanding ! Thanks

Folks, I would like to know how difficult it would be to mount an external antenna to a pole or tree so that I could get additional range in an urban area. I currently have the Titan Conquer antenna system on my Phantom 4 controller. I was thinking of placing an antenna in a tree, running the cable back to my controller. Why? Because I don't think no one has done it. I love to see different ideas you guys have with drones! I think it would be cool to fly my bird from my living room. I don't care how much sense it makes I just want to know if anyone could tell me how to do it.
BillyF, another caution is worth noting, watch out for power lines!!!

A good source for antenna construction and feedline loss is ARRL's Antenna Book. Hams use it extensively to design and build antennas. Might note as the frequency increases the antenna size decreases and the cable loss increases. The 2.4 GHz band is quite high and has lots of room for users. Google "Building wifi antennas" and see what's possible.
Thanks!
Jim
WA5TEF

How about this.... Get another drone.... Tie the antenna to that.... Fly it high.... Then use your other drone.... Get best signal ever [emoji4]

Last edited:
Yep, any other means to support an antenna higher up also has to support the considerable weight of the feed line.

No one has asked but wouldn't you out distant your battery power with such an increase antenna gain? My P4 has been out to 7,500 feet in Litchi waypoint missions and returned with only 36% power remaining. I could have gone further but to me it was not worth it. Example, soppose you use half of your battery going out 10,000 feet would you be sure to make it back?
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Ideally you'd fly out in the open like from a field (good) or a mountain (best). In those cases, you wouldn't want or need a mast. I think the idea is that in some environments, range is limited due to interference, unfavorable deflected signal phase shifts, LOS problems, etc. An antenna mast solves some of these problems.

Ideally you'd fly out in the open like from a field (good) or a mountain (best). In those cases, you wouldn't want or need a mast. I think the idea is that in some environments, range is limited due to interference, unfavorable deflected signal phase shifts, LOS problems, etc. An antenna mast solves some of these problems.
Mark The Droner- interesting info. I wonder how much of a problem the phase shift of the spread spectrum signal is? I understand the workings of reflected signals and phase shift of a traditional FM or CW signal is but I know nothing about the frequency hopping signal and the results of phase shifts in them. I tend to think the two would be similar considering how rapid the frequency shift is but I can imagine complications if part of the digital signal gets reflected differently than others parts. It would be intresting to find out!!!
Thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel