Experimenting with combinations of damper on H3-2D

Reaction score
Twiddling my thumbs a bit today as caught up on all my work so thought I'd have a play....

Decided to experiment with the different dampers supplied with the Zenmuse H3-2D. As you guys who have got them will know, the Zenmuse comes with three flavours of damper, Black (as fitted on delivery), grey and white. Each one varies in it's stiffness, black being the most stiff and white the softest.

I was one of the very first to get my hands on a Zenmuse in the first week of July and to be honest have just left the default black dampers on the thing as shipped.
However, in certain conditions (very bright sun, flying fast forward etc) I have noticed some jello - not a lot, but it's there.

It wasn't until today that I've really had the chance to experiment with the different bits of rubber. It's a faff to swap them over, take off, fly, land, swap them, take off... blah, blah etc etc.

Anyway - today is pretty much perfect flying conditions here in the midlands - sunny, not a breath of wind so I gave it a go....

And the best results I have come up with (to save everyone the headache of doing the same test) is:

Two black dampers on front and back and two white dampers left and right. !!!

This gives me Zero - and I mean ZERO jello in any attitude, angle to the sun or fast flight or ascents. Took me around two hours trying every combination and then reviewing the results but I am very happy that I appear to have completely eliminated that last remaining bit of jello.

Obviously this is only one test but the results so far are looking very good.

Re: So I had some spare time on my hands today .......

This is FANTASTIC. Been too lazy to do it myself and kept hoping that eventually someone would take one for the team and do the work. :)

Would not have thought of mix-and-match -- very interesting solution. I'll have to try this myself. Keep us posted if you find any "better" combinations in the future!

MrMediaGuy said:
This is FANTASTIC. Been too lazy to do it myself and kept hoping that eventually someone would take one for the team and do the work. :)

Would not have thought of mix-and-match -- very interesting solution. I'll have to try this myself. Keep us posted if you find any "better" combinations in the future!

Yup - I was surprised that a mix seemed the best. My theory is that most jello is going to be caused by a side to side motion and having the softer dampers on the side mounts absorb more vibration.
When I tried all four white ones there was still jello evident as I think the overall damping was a little too sloppy.

Anyway - best solution I've found so far and testing today produce absolute zero jello.

Well done The Editor. Never would have thought of tests and if I did never would have though of mixing them. Will be changing my outer ones to white and see if I get similar results. Thanks again.

But how would this make sense? Do you mean less jello when you move along a single axis? The second you start going sideways the white ones become your front and back no?

The camera and Gimbal are still pointing to the actual front of the craft so it would be a sideways motion on them.

yalag said:
But how would this make sense? Do you mean less jello when you move along a single axis? The second you start going sideways the white ones become your front and back no?

You can theorise to your hearts content as to why it shouldn't work/make any difference - All I'm saying is it does (for me).

If in doubt - Try it.
If you do not like the results - swap them back !

In what definition/frame rate?

The Editor said:
yalag said:

You can theorise to your hearts content as to why it shouldn't work/make any difference - All I'm saying is it does (for me).

If in doubt - Try it.

I'm not trying to disprove you. In fact, I want it to be true badly! But I just wanted to know exactly what you mean. Did you mean that with that configuration you were getting less jello while travelling in all directions?

yalag said:
The Editor said:
yalag said:

If in doubt - Try it.

I'm not trying to disprove you. In fact, I want it to be true badly! But I just wanted to know exactly what you mean. Did you mean that with that configuration you were getting less jello while travelling in all directions?

Well I only had Jello on the Zenmuse in fast forward flight at full speed and then only in certain conditions. I have to admit, I do not really fly at full speed sideways.
For me it was the best combination and has eliminated Jello completely, either while traveling or stationary hover. I tried the three different colours that shipped with the gimbal and the best combination I could come up with was this one.

The way I did it was to wait for a day that gave me conditions I knew would show up the Jello (very sunny, no wind and about 45 degrees into the sun and fast forward flight). I confirmed the Jello was there with the black dampers then started different combinations as well as just all four white or all four grey. On each swap out I took the Phantom up to the same place and flew the same pattern while keeping the sun at the same angle to the quad - my current combination of black front and rear and white on the sides gave me the best results.

Would be interested in other peoples findings....

This is a very interesting finding and it would be good to see whether others have this same, or some other result. However I fear this thread may not be read by many potentially interested parties because of the fairly uninformative subject text: "So I had some spare time..."

To increase the likelihood that more forum members benefit from your inspiration and hard work, I suggest editing the subject line to something more descriptive of the topic, or if that is not possible, creating a new thread with a descriptive subject line pointing to this thread.

Just a thought...

Steve

The Editor said:
Twiddling my thumbs a bit today as caught up on all my work so thought I'd have a play....

Decided to experiment with the different dampers supplied with the Zenmuse H3-2D. As you guys who have got them will know, the Zenmuse comes with three flavours of damper, Black (as fitted on delivery), grey and white. Each one varies in it's stiffness, black being the most stiff and white the softest.

I was one of the very first to get my hands on a Zenmuse in the first week of July and to be honest have just left the default black dampers on the thing as shipped.
However, in certain conditions (very bright sun, flying fast forward etc) I have noticed some jello - not a lot, but it's there.

It wasn't until today that I've really had the chance to experiment with the different bits of rubber. It's a faff to swap them over, take off, fly, land, swap them, take off... blah, blah etc etc.

Anyway - today is pretty much perfect flying conditions here in the midlands - sunny, not a breath of wind so I gave it a go....

And the best results I have come up with (to save everyone the headache of doing the same test) is:

Two black dampers on front and back and two white dampers left and right. !!!

This gives me Zero - and I mean ZERO jello in any attitude, angle to the sun or fast flight or ascents. Took me around two hours trying every combination and then reviewing the results but I am very happy that I appear to have completely eliminated that last remaining bit of jello.

Obviously this is only one test but the results so far are looking very good.

deluge2 said:
This is a very interesting finding and it would be good to see whether others have this same, or some other result. However I fear this thread may not be read by many potentially interested parties because of the fairly uninformative subject text: "So I had some spare time..."

To increase the likelihood that more forum members benefit from your inspiration and hard work, I suggest editing the subject line to something more descriptive of the topic, or if that is not possible, creating a new thread with a descriptive subject line pointing to this thread.

Just a thought...

Steve

Hmmm.... Good point. As Jean Luc Picard would say..... " I shall make it so"

Hi The editor... just to be sure, you did like a X configuration ? front left and back right both black, and front right and back left , both white ?
thanks !

tiagobaracho said:
Hi The editor... just to be sure, you did like a X configuration ? front left and back right both black, and front right and back left , both white ?
thanks !

No - The H3-2D doesn't fit on the Phantom as an 'X'. It's at right angles to the axis of the quad. All I did was have the front and rear dampers as black and the left and right as white (still have). I did try swapping them back out but came to the conclusion (again) that this was the best combination.
I think it's a try it and see scenario since it may not work for everyone - there are so many variables out there.... Different size props, different prop material, upgraded motors, V1 and V2 of the Zenmuse.
All I'm saying is it worked for me (and continues to)

Hi Editor, could you tell me the hole diameter on the zenmuse plate that accepts the rubber ball. I have a cheap anti-jello plate that uses rubber balls and am wondering if the zenmuse balls will fit.

Thanks,

The editor,
sorry my mistake... your right... the zenmuse plate when installed is not like a X when installed.... i just thought in my mind the plate in my hand, thats why i asked... but now its clear... front and rear black and sides white !.. i will try...

I do get jello even after fine prop balancing, using all black, all white or all gray... but here there is always some wind.. .so i believe it has more to do with the wind.... i just bought the vision 2 prop to check if gets better ... i only do not get jello with 1080p, 60 fps.... check out this video 1080p 30 fps... you can see Jello sometimes.... not when hovering...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlK4Ghe8A8 (1080p 30 fps) ( re-focus hero3+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwR0m44kN9M (2.7k , 30 fps) ( re-focus hero3+)
I am using carbon fiber propeller dynamic balanced ( hours to get it done)
I would like to record more 2.7k , 30 fps with no jello.....

Dave Pitman said:
Hi Editor, could you tell me the hole diameter on the zenmuse plate that accepts the rubber ball. I have a cheap anti-jello plate that uses rubber balls and am wondering if the zenmuse balls will fit.

Thanks,

Looks to be about 9mm. don't quote me on that as I do not have a pair of calipers, I only measured via a steel rule and eye.
It's definitely smaller than 10mm and bigger than 8mm !! :D

The Editor said:
Looks to be about 9mm. don't quote me on that as I do not have a pair of calipers, I only measured via a steel rule and eye.
It's definitely smaller than 10mm and bigger than 8mm !! :D

Perfect. I don't think the rubber balls would fuss about a 1/4 mm.

Hi, First post. This thread prompted me to join as it is doing my head in.

Can some one please explain to me how the gimbal mount can have a front, back, left and right? I can only see two front points and two rear ones. When my phantom moves in a forward direction the front two corners of the plate are in parallel with each other. i.e. it has two front, two rear - or two left and two right.

Can anyone see my confusion?

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20