EXIF altitude - GPS or baro? meters or feet?

Reaction score
Which source is used in the EXIF data - the barometric altimeter or the GPS? And is the value in meters or feet? My assumption has been GPS, because it is recorded in the data block labeled "GPS", and meters, as it is recorded to four decimal places. (A tenth of a millimeter is slightly less absurd than a ten-thousandth of a foot.) But it is so wildly wrong in both meters and feet that it could be either. I've scanned the previous postings which involve EXIF altitude, and there is no consensus other than general inaccuracy. Making matters worse, there is consensus that DJI have changed sources, possibly several times back and forth, over the years. Maybe the best answer is to ignore it, and add captions or notes with best-guess altitudes when doing post-processing. But that just seems wrong, with all this sophisticated hardware in the beast.

Which source is used in the EXIF data - the barometric altimeter or the GPS? And is the value in meters or feet? My assumption has been GPS, because it is recorded in the data block labeled "GPS", and meters, as it is recorded to four decimal places. (A tenth of a millimeter is slightly less absurd than a ten-thousandth of a foot.) But it is so wildly wrong in both meters and feet that it could be either. I've scanned the previous postings which involve EXIF altitude, and there is no consensus other than general inaccuracy. Making matters worse, there is consensus that DJI have changed sources, possibly several times back and forth, over the years. Maybe the best answer is to ignore it, and add captions or notes with best-guess altitudes when doing post-processing. But that just seems wrong, with all this sophisticated hardware in the beast.
Up to 1.4 firmware, DJI showed barometer altitude in the exif data but from 1.5.3 they have swapped to GPS altitude data for a reason that no-one knows.
GPS is totally for altitude accuracy as during the time of a flight it can swing +/- 200 feet or more.
I have read that they still have barometer data in the exif for raw files but GPS for jpg.
I haven't checked that but it makes even less sense.
Here's the good old baro data in v1.4 firmware
i-H7gLW9v-L.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers