Examples of our aerial mapping services

Reaction score
I'm Senior VP of an environmental consulting and engineering firm. Our core business is the investigation and remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater. We have fully-implemented drone aerial mapping into our project workflow. I thought I would share some examples of our work. Please feel free to download the aerial maps for best viewing.

The below link is an orthomosaic aerial map of a 145-acre area comprised of 460 overlapping images collected by a Phantom 4 Pro from 350 ft. above ground level. The ground sampling distance of the aerial map is 2 in./pixel.

https://wilcoxenvironmental-my.shar...lJvEsnXoQF1wYBVKllpWIXQe7Dk_b8cgLNxA?e=I7tV4W

The next link below is an aerial site plan processed from the above original aerial map, including map scale, soil boring locations, monitoring well locations and topographic contour lines.

https://wilcoxenvironmental-my.shar...JHszCVxpGqaYcBQ10R7soi3UtXzx69T2pPfg?e=D8r5Ek

The last link below is a 3D model of the 145-acre area processed from the original aerial map.

a8fb6e9c89_JNANCEINSPIRE - 3D model by DroneDeploy

It's very nice that our clients see the value of high-resolution drone aerial imagery and our drone services are growing rapidly. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
nice pics, do you use drone deploy for processing? how did you do the borehole/contour overlay?

Thanks, yes, we use DroneDeploy for our initial map processing. The contours were generated using a combination of DroneDeploy's digital terrain model and existing survey data from the site. All groundwater monitoring wells and some soil borings at the site were surveyed and georeferenced prior to collecting the drone imagery. Our aerial mapping workflow typically begins with initial map processing using DroneDeploy, then further processing using ArcGIS.

Yes, we use ground control points when data generated from a project site requires a GIS spatial component, which further requires a high level of absolute/global accuracy (longitude, latitude, elevation). Of course, not all of our project sites require a high level of absolute/global accuracy. In those cases, relative accuracy suffices.

Last edited:
Reactions: econodrone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl