erratic flight independent of controller

subsequent flights have all had the issue of the VPS system reporting 'on the ground' the entire time
Not a completely correct statement but close. It is very erratic. The second flight also shows the altitude descrpancy, although be it at times reporting correctly. I think either removing the gimbal guard, or turning the VPS off will correct the issue. Personally I leave the VPS off and never use it.

I believe I've confirmed that the problem was my gimbal guard that I foolishly installed when it came unexpectedly with my landing gear extensions, and which blocks the downward sensors. With the guard off, the aircraft performed well/normally/perfectly? on 4 successive flights (the third one with the VPS turned off as well). Am including the logs if anyone cares to look at them.
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com (just hovering, then up slightly above the VPS effective height, then RTH)
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com (similar, but with more manoevering and forward flight, considerably higher, then RTH)...
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com (VPS off, with RTH)
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com (VPS on, manual take off and landing; mostly testing camera/image resolution at specific altitudes)

So, I apologize for taking up your time when the problem was primarily my own stupidity/ignorance. I would also like to express my gratitude for the helpful attitude displayed by several of you, and for the sincere and sustained efforts to help out a rookie.

While I don't plan to bury the forum in questions, this experience has given me confidence that the forum can be a place to seek assistance without being concerned about hostility or impatience like I often see on some other forums. And, I've learned a lot in the course of troubleshooting this issue and reading your suggestions.
Thanks,
Phil

So, I apologize for taking up your time when the problem was primarily my own stupidity/ignorance.
No apology needed. That's why we are here. To assist fellow pilots, rookie or otherwise when needed. As I mentioned earlier, I leave my VPS off anyway, as I as well use a lower gimbal guard. That is not the real reason however. I find that without this I get much smoother landings manually. Although be it with a P3A. If you have any other issues feel free at any time to ask away. ?

I would also like to express my gratitude for the helpful attitude displayed by several of you, and for the sincere and sustained efforts to help out a rookie.
In the real plane world, accident investigation reports are valuable lessons for all pilots to help avoid possibly serious issues.
It's the same here but the consequences are usually much less serious.
Everyone gets the chance to learn and become better flyers as a result.

when the problem was primarily my own stupidity/ignorance.
Respectfully, stupidity and ignorance are two entirely different things.

You're obviously not stupid and, congratulations!, no longer ignorant regarding VPS and gimbal guards. Keep up the good work :)

BTW, I also keep my VPS turned off for all the reasons stated above, landing is much smoother... and also keep a gimbal guard zip tied to the landing gear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.