Epoxy motor reinforcement mounts to repair stress cracks

Reaction score
I have 2 Phantoms with stress cracks. Has anyone tried to used printed motor reinforcement mounts and epoxied them to the shell to repair the cracks? I figured that if this doesn’t work, I can always still replace the shell.
Also, does DJI still offer shell replacement services at a cost?

Not on a phantom but did have a crack on my Mavic mini arm.
It would open up if I held it up by motors.
I reinforced it with epoxy and light fibre glassing mat..
I had to rough up the plastic with some sandpaper first , put the epoxy on , flexed it to open the crack and made sure to get epoxy into the crack, then massage the mat into it to get it nice and flat. Has lasted over a year with lots of flights so far.

Reactions: MTO
What model? I installed metal backing plates under motors on all my P3s, prevented cracks from forming or spreading. Held with screws. Similar plastic ones didn’t work.

I have a P3S and P3P with the same issue. Since they are cracked already, I have to glue the bracket to the case. I thought the plastic brackets would epoxy to the case better than aluminum. I have completed the P3S and it seems to work well with only 1 flight. The motors are mounted solidly.

Attachments

• 53901887-BE1D-479E-8EFE-7C7C0BCE6C4C.jpeg
    53901887-BE1D-479E-8EFE-7C7C0BCE6C4C.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: brigerdrones
I have a P3S and P3P with the same issue. Since they are cracked already, I have to glue the bracket to the case. I thought the plastic brackets would epoxy to the case better than aluminum. I have completed the P3S and it seems to work well with only 1 flight. The motors are mounted solidly.
When you say solidly, do you mean won't be able to replace motors if they need to change them? This is mine but without epoxy.

Attachments

• 20220117_174615.jpg
    20220117_174615.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 93
You can access all 7 screws to remove motors or separate the shell. The original part did not have a hole for the screw at the tip, but I drilled the access hole. I when I say solid, I mean that the motor support was very soft before the repair and the motor would vibrate and props would hit the shell. Now the motors are solidly attached to the shell now and don’t vibrate at all.

You can access all 7 screws to remove motors or separate the shell. The original part did not have a hole for the screw at the tip, but I drilled the access hole. I when I say solid, I mean that the motor support was very soft before the repair and the motor would vibrate and props would hit the shell. Now the motors are solidly attached to the shell now and don’t vibrate at all.
I see, always understand the opposite😀, Looks cool though and at the same time reinforced. Fly safe!

I have 2 phantoms that I outfitted with the metal plates, no epoxy:

Both have done the job beautifully... on my "daily driver" I decided to do a full shell replacement, and when I was done, I fitted the plates back on as insurance.

I like the idea of fiberglass. It is heavy so you would want to go lite but is it also strong too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.