Electromagnetic interference crash

Are you speaking scientifically or from independent first hand knowledge? Because it's widely known with ham radio operators that high solar activity certainly does interfere with radio frequencies across the spectrum.

I've flown through these doomsday 'K Days' with no affect.

Are you speaking scientifically or from independent first hand knowledge? Because it's widely known with ham radio operators that high solar activity certainly does interfere with radio frequencies across the spectrum.
Here's the basis for my comment:
UAV Forcast for today Thursday October 8, 2015 | DJI Phantom Forum
Your Phantom will encounter all kinds of radio interference in the sky over different environments and in different conditions but there's no sign of any serious effects from K index of the magnitude mentioned (and higher).

Here's the basis for my comment:
UAV Forcast for today Thursday October 8, 2015 | DJI Phantom Forum
Your Phantom will encounter all kinds of radio interference in the sky over different environments and in different conditions but there's no sign of any serious effects from K index of the magnitude mentioned (and higher).

There are more reasons to not worry about it that just a phantompilots's moderator... but if that's all it takes, that is good for the newbies.

I agree that it is very hyped.

Just wanted to report back to some of u guys on what ended up happening to my "electro" problem since u took the time out to reply. First of all I live in Lexington, Ky. USA, in September I had an incident with my p3a in which I encountered an electromagnetic interference icon to prompt on my screen then it seemed my quad kept wanting to pull to the left of my field of view no matter which way it was facing. I battled this as I attempted to get it back to land as I was in a wooded area yet had a clear line of sight and was only about 1500 ft down rage. I kept thinking do I trust return to home.. I made headway on approach until striking a small branch about 15 yards (5. Something meters) from my landing and smashed into the concrete from about 35 feet elevation. Cracked two arms, broke gimbal attachment plate on a corner, broke props, one motor seized. I called DJI waited for about 15 min., spoke with a rep and followed protocol. I Sent it to DJI through fed ex to California free of charge with a short handwritten note explaining the circumstances and nature of crash. To my astonishment I received my notice that the repairs had been made free of charge and my quad arrived back at my residence in Kentucky in 9 days. No kidding and I'm not a plant. Just a guy who grew up in Appalachia who can now fly due to this innovation. I know people who had to wait 2-3 months for parts back in June, however I wanted to share my experience of two weeks in September 2015.

Reactions: SirAchie
I crashed my phantom3 adv last night after encountering a red icon on the screen saying electromagnetical interference when closing in on my house. The bird veered on the last directed course correction and i battled to get her in. About 30 ft from touchdown with no wind, and out of my normal position.. i clipped a limb and came down on concrete. Banged in on one side/cracking the body in two spots. Camera still looks works, I can move it through controller however one of the 4 corners on the base that holds the camera/gimble to the base dampers (circular) is broken. Getting a message No Attitude from controller, and the electromagnetic interference prompt in areas I have never received it before incident (obviously wont calibrate).. Not looking for the whole new camera/gimbel assembly!?!??? Not sure I can resolve these issues own my own due to the prompts. Also one motor seems more resistant than the others that may have not experienced any trauma. I didn't want to push it and make more problems for myself, so any help on getting repairs conducted efficiently and promptly would be greatly appreciated. Please help an ole Kentucky boy, who could finally fly for the past several months. My daughter enjoys it as much as I, and is also very disappointed. (She wittnessed my sorrow yesterday and is an aviation kidd as well) Any help would be soooo appreciated. Thanx in advance.
BTW: I have over 50 flights and had only encountered the electromagnetic interference before moving to a different area to take off, but over 30 of those flights were in the same area of the crash. It never happened in that area.
K indexes and the condition of the ionosphere are probably not responsible for your crash. Why? Because no amount of upper atmosphere ionization can cause 2.4ghz RF to "duct" in from elsewhere. It just never happens. Some 2.4ghz signal from elsewhere isn't going to appear and blind your bird. The earth's magnetic field fluctuations might cause your compass to go off, but it isn't an effect that happens for 20 seconds in a pulse. It's gradual shifts...might cause compass calibration to be off... What is more likely is a local source of high power RF for a short duration. These can occur from Ham radio stations, Illegal CB's and public service 2-way radios. From what I've seen, the Phantom's radios are not resistant to being blinded by RF in the range of UHF and VHF signals. Within 500 ft of ANY broadcast tower (especially cell), you are likely to loose communications with the Phantom. The best way to keep a link with the phantom is to keep it close and use something like a windsurfer reflector to keep the signals up.

Follow up a little late: DJI fixed it, and stated there was a problem in the positioning system. No charge. Sent from Kentucky to the valley. It was back in my hands with no charge in about 11-12 days.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SirAchie and Reed L
Follow up a little late: DJI fixed it, and stated there was a problem in the positioning system. No charge. Sent from Kentucky to the valley. It was back in my hands with no charge in about 11-12 days.

Glad to hear you're back in the air.

Would you be able to attach the .txt flight log file that you upload from the device used with the GO app?

All I have left of that incident is comment 11 or 12 on this set of post. It's the map. I rebooted my card.

Data should be on your tablet not on the sd card of the bird /DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord. It is a TXT file.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4