Effect of warmer air

Reaction score
Im wondering if warmer temperature of the air can be the cause of my drone not being able to fly as far as it did earlier this year. I know warm air or mainly hot air is lighter and the drone would probably have to work harder to remain in flight. Any help with this would be appreciated. These last two months not a day has been under a 100 degrees.

Thank you

While it would create a change, I doubt you'd notice it. You mention not being able to fly as far.... why? I'm guessing the battery is draining down so you cannot fly as long (not restricted to distance)?

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I would be more concerned about humidity than heat. The P4P is tested to be able enduring temperatures up to 110 degrees. I have seen people fly them in places like Egypt and North Africa, and I hear the U.S. military uses them in Iraq as well.
But humidity has a greater effect on electrical components than heat itself, whereby at 98 degrees, with high humidity, the heat index is actually much higher.
On that note, I personally have several friends in the Philippines who fly their Phantom drones in 90 degree weather with high humidity levels, and none of them have ever mentioned any problems.

Im wondering if warmer temperature of the air can be the cause of my drone not being able to fly as far as it did earlier this year. I know warm air or mainly hot air is lighter and the drone would probably have to work harder to remain in flight. Any help with this would be appreciated. These last two months not a day has been under a 100 degrees.

Thank you
Density Altitude - AOPA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31