Editing

Reaction score
what is the best devise for editing video? I have read the Mac book pro is the best. If so, which one?

The question is usually what software is best. If you want to process 4k video, you will need a seriously powerful device, either Windows or Mac.Most reasonable spec devices will cope with 1080, remember very few people have a 4k screen to view your videos.
Many professional editors using Adobe software opt for Macs, but they seem to work well for me on a Windows machine.
Software ,I use Premiere, but Davinci is free, and very good, and will do 4K.
A poor spec device will just choke on 4k, it will take hours to render a few minutes of video, I use a high spec gaming laptop with a 4k screen and it works very well.

Mac Pro with free iMovie app gives you good results

Jayfdee, I also upgraded my home computer to a high spec gaming computer which is liquid cooled and I also use Adobe Primear. I am going purchase a Windows based laptop this year to use when I travel. What model laptop do use?

I went round and round about this topic recently myself. My criteria were capability to work with 4K, convenience, and price.
I ended up buying the latest 10.5" iPad Pro, as it met all of my criteria. It easily edits 4K video, and I use it as my flight device, so it is convenient in that regard, and the price was a lot less than a Mac Book.
Most of my flying is with other people, so being able to instantly review/edit the video footage on the iPad right after a session is a plus. I use an Apple SD Card Reader to Lightning Port adapter to load the files onto the iPad, and I use an app called LumaFusion to do my video editing. Last I knew, this app was only available for iOS.
This is not a 'professional' setup by any means, but I don't see my P4 as being a 'professional' UAV either. That's not to say that this would not be a great setup for somebody doing basic real estate shots and the like. They could have all of their photos and edited videos shared with the customer from their Google Drive before they even left the site...
Two more things to mention: The official Apple SD Reader to Lightning Port adapter is the only way to go. I made the mistake of buying a third party adapter first, and it required a third party app that was very buggy, so back it went. Also, the 10.5' iPad Pro requires an extender for the P4 remote, and although it's just a bit heavier than my prior iPad Air 2, the weight difference is negligible.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...4842033&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+sd+card+adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Gigibon-GG-0...166&sr=1-6&keywords=phantom+4+remote+extender

Jayfdee, I also upgraded my home computer to a high spec gaming computer which is liquid cooled and I also use Adobe Primear. I am going purchase a Windows based laptop this year to use when I travel. What model laptop do use?
I use a Dell inspironI5 7000 gaming with core I7, it is very fast with Premiere and 4k, but a bit noisy when working hard as the fans kick in.
It has a 15.4 screen with 4K display. Works for me.

There are few other questions that you should ask yourself. What are you planning to do with your videos? Are you knowledgeable about video editing? Many editing software programs rely on the GPU for much of the heavy lifting. Financially you will get much more bang for the buck with a Windows Desktop. On top of that, upgrading down the road with more memory better video Card is possible. Most laptops are significantly more difficult to upgrade.

Davinci resolve 14 which is free, will do everything you will ever need a NLE to do and it is one of the industry standards for Color Grading. If you do not like Free, you can purchase Davinci resolve Studio for $299.00 which will provide deinterlacing and Noise Reduction and a handful of features that you will never use like having the ability to have several editors to work on the project together at the same time.

I use an ASUS desk top I7 32gigs of ram and a GForce 750ti which shall be upgraded to aGforce 1070 in a few weeks.

For serious editing, you don't want to use laptops and tablets.

The main reason is that the displays are too small and most are incapable of displaying 4K video. (However they are suitable if all you want to do is to cobble something together for Facebook or other social media). 15 inch displays just won't cut it.

If you're an Apple fan, "the best" that you're asking for would be something like the new iMac Pro with it's 27 inch 5K monitor.

Slightly off topic editing question. I’m shooting 1080P@60fps. My video looks great on my 28” monitor and iPad. However, attempting to look at it on my 60” TV is awful. Is there a certain rendering profile that works best for DVD? I can watch TV shows on this TV that are 720P that look fine. My videos don’t. I suspect I haven’t found the right formula. Are there any norms I should be working with?

Geo

Slightly off topic editing question. I’m shooting 1080P@60fps. My video looks great on my 28” monitor and iPad. However, attempting to look at it on my 60” TV is awful. Is there a certain rendering profile that works best for DVD? I can watch TV shows on this TV that are 720P that look fine. My videos don’t. I suspect I haven’t found the right formula. Are there any norms I should be working with?

Geo
This is what works best for me, I have Corel video studio pro10 ultimate, not expensive and easy to use with plenty of options for me. Samsung smart tv only 42" but can play 1080p@30fps (it can't run 60fps). My satelite dish comes in at 720 and the image is real good. I Shoot in 4K , 5400 temp, -1, -1, -1, Dcinelike or none and sometimes vivid when all is dull and render in 1080@30fps in a 3840x2160 frame at 40Mbps and I find the results almost as good as the dish (almost). For my TV I tried shooting in 1080 and it was so so, 2.7 rendered to 1080 big improvement, 4K even better. For editing I got me a lenovo ideapad Y700 (it's a gamer but I don't game, bang for the buck) had this for about a year now and it never crashed (yet) with a 17 inch screen and it can run 4K and looks real good but all my friends and family can't run 4K so I render what I want to share in 1080. If I don't reduce the sharpness..etc to -1 in GO the image on my TV is not very good, it's looks way over sharpened and grainy and the brightness pulses. Reducing to -1,-1,-1 was the major factor and it took several batteries and flying the same path with different settings to get to what works best for me. What got me to this point is from having read other post here and testing out the numbers, most of these numbers come from various other pilots and I thank all the guy's for narrowing down the variables for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: wmclements2003
Transcoding your footage to an “edit friendly” CODEC will help any machine regardless of specs. Converting to ProRes allows me to edit hiccup free on my MacBook Pro and you’d be hard pressed to see any footage degradation....

For serious editing, you don't want to use laptops and tablets.

The main reason is that the displays are too small and most are incapable of displaying 4K video. (However they are suitable if all you want to do is to cobble something together for Facebook or other social media). 15 inch displays just won't cut it.

If you're an Apple fan, "the best" that you're asking for would be something like the new iMac Pro with it's 27 inch 5K monitor.
Or build a hackintosh.....

Geo
Are you trying to view video directly from the sd card in the phantom? If so, the most likely issue is that your TV cannot natively process 60fps, Progress video or both. Use an editor to convert the footage to 1080i.

I went round and round about this topic recently myself. My criteria were capability to work with 4K, convenience, and price.
I ended up buying the latest 10.5" iPad Pro, as it met all of my criteria. It easily edits 4K video, and I use it as my flight device, so it is convenient in that regard, and the price was a lot less than a Mac Book.
Most of my flying is with other people, so being able to instantly review/edit the video footage on the iPad right after a session is a plus. I use an Apple SD Card Reader to Lightning Port adapter to load the files onto the iPad, and I use an app called LumaFusion to do my video editing. Last I knew, this app was only available for iOS.
This is not a 'professional' setup by any means, but I don't see my P4 as being a 'professional' UAV either. That's not to say that this would not be a great setup for somebody doing basic real estate shots and the like. They could have all of their photos and edited videos shared with the customer from their Google Drive before they even left the site...
Two more things to mention: The official Apple SD Reader to Lightning Port adapter is the only way to go. I made the mistake of buying a third party adapter first, and it required a third party app that was very buggy, so back it went. Also, the 10.5' iPad Pro requires an extender for the P4 remote, and although it's just a bit heavier than my prior iPad Air 2, the weight difference is negligible.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...4842033&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+sd+card+adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Gigibon-GG-0...166&sr=1-6&keywords=phantom+4+remote+extender

I was doing this for a while with great results until I purchased my iMac. I even started a thread about too. It’s a very easy and cheap way to edit and provide a nice device for flying. All of my earlier videos were all edited on a device. The Apple card reader is a must if you are going this route.

Editing Video with an IPad!

I will look into your suggestions. What if you had to render to a standard DVD, is there a formula for best picture? Seems like there is plenty of room on a DVD for my short videos but I realize there are other limits.

Geo

I tried several different “formats” today and all the same results. Low image quality once converted for dvd or burned directly to dvd. (jagged edges on straight lines for example) My puzzlement is this. A prerecorded dvd looks fine. Why doesn’t my video since the source looks fine at 1080p. I’m no video expert and didn’t even realize regular dvd’s are only 480i/p. But even so, factory dvd’s Look great. I’m trying to get them on a dvd for a friend who lives in assisted living and that’s the only equipment they have. Any ideas are appreciated.

Geo

I have the Director Suite 5 from Cyberlink, using powerdirector 15 for editing right now.
Works well.

Using a 4k 27" acer predator monitor with a powerful desktop and a 1070 graphics card

Last edited:
There are few other questions that you should ask yourself. What are you planning to do with your videos? Are you knowledgeable about video editing? Many editing software programs rely on the GPU for much of the heavy lifting. Financially you will get much more bang for the buck with a Windows Desktop. On top of that, upgrading down the road with more memory better video Card is possible. Most laptops are significantly more difficult to upgrade.

Davinci resolve 14 which is free, will do everything you will ever need a NLE to do and it is one of the industry standards for Color Grading. If you do not like Free, you can purchase Davinci resolve Studio for $299.00 which will provide deinterlacing and Noise Reduction and a handful of features that you will never use like having the ability to have several editors to work on the project together at the same time.

I use an ASUS desk top I7 32gigs of ram and a GForce 750ti which shall be upgraded to aGforce 1070 in a few weeks.

You will enjoy the 1070. Use mine for gaming and editing works awesome!!!

Reactions: Samuraiz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl