early phantom 1 - fpv & iosd

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my phantom 1 (earliest generation I believe) with a fpv kit and would also want a iOSD module for displaying flight data.
However, it seems that the iOSD module won't work with the early P1s, so I might have to get a NAZA V2 to make this work? Are there any other options?
I'm not really needing/wanting a gimbal right now, however the option of beeing able to use one at some point would be beneficial... so there might not be a way arout the V2 NAZA?
I'm wondering if that would be cost effective, since current p2s come stock with a iOSD and gimbal ready NAZA, right?

Thanks in advance.

There are 3rd party OSD modules that work with the P1. If you search for Naza Lite OSD you'll find them. If you want to use the iOSD, you don't need to change the Naza, but rather you need to swap out the main board. You could get the P1 Upgrade Board or a P2 main board (also works, but requires more fiddling).

I see, thanks.
I also came across a "sarawuth" mod that would allow to use a iOSD on stock electronics... not sure if I'd some additional stuff or if my version would allow this mod.
I'm pretty new to all this, but fog's lifting slowly it seems...

Might sound a bit stupid, but are there any gimbals at all that work with the very first P1s?

Thanks!

If you get the P1 Upgrade board (or the P2 main board), you can use DJI gimbals.
Otherwise, you can use any 3rd party gimbal, such as the Walkera G-2D/G-3D gimbals.

Ok, thanks. Well, I guess I'll have to research gimbals first... Its for a Hero 2 gopro.

Where can I get those P1 upgrade boards?

edit: forget it: found them

So then I guess I'll try that sarawuth CAN-BUS mod to run a mini iOSD module with fps setup, without a gimbal first.
And if I screw up the stock board or if I really should want a DJI gimbal later, I'd still have the option of getting a upgrade board.

I hope I'm not missing something ^^

Last edited:
Okay... looks like I won't be able to do sarawuth's CAN Bus mod, since I've got a way old board, that differs from that in sarawuth's tutorial.
I hope this phantom will at least accept a upgrade board haha

http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-phantom-1-modify-to-have-can-bus-port/

Thats how mine looks like inside...
20150406_175123.jpg

You have the standard P1 main board that all P1's came with. You can upgrade with the P1 Upgrade Board (or a P2 main board). The benefit of the P1 Upgrade board over the P2 board is that it comes with a LED/USB board with a longer cable, whereas you'd need to manually extend this cable for the P2 main board.

Okay, now I'm a bit confused... so if all P1s do look like mine, then what kind of board is the one from the link/sarawuth mod?

Edit: wait... the board from the link is described as P330-H3 -2D board for the H3-2D gimbal... So the H3-2D gimbal comes with its own board, right? Now things make sense... haha

Anyways, thanks fo the answers, I think everything's clear now ;)

Last edited:
The N1-OSD I use is practically plug and play for a P1. No need for other parts. If you don't mind 2 Chinese characters on the screen and metric instead of imperial. There's another one, N2-OSD I think which do have the option to change that. Maybe the N1 has the option too but I couldn't figure that out in the Chinese setup menu.

Look at my thread about testing the N1-OSD on the FC40 (with the cheapest gimbal on the market), in the FC40 forum. The FC40 is basically a P1 but with 5.8Ghz control.

The board from the sarawuth link is the P1 Upgrade board. It does not come with a gimbal. It works with any Zenmuse Phantom gimbal.

Ok, I guess I finally got it... thanks.
All that different kinds of boards, versions and other stuff caused a bit confusion...:confused:

Is there any difference in the reliability or amount of data different OSDs provide?
I think an accurate battery status and GPS sat count are probably the most important things to me.

Also, is there some kind of Gimbal that works fine with all of the gopros? I do have an old Hero2 that I'm not willing to upgrade yet, but maybe will at some point. I don't want to have to buy a new gimbal for each cam...

And one last question (I hope):
Do I need a PMU when using zenmuse gimbals and a iOSD unit to their full potential, or should the sarawuth mod take care of that? Would I lose any feature like maybe the remote pitch control or something?

Thanks for you patience

If you have the Upgrade board (or the P2 board), you don't need a PMU or a GCU. Those are included on the board. You lose no features.

Different 3rd party OSDs provide different amounts of data.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31