Eagle Crags at dawn (near Zion National Park, Utah)

Reaction score
P4P+

Do you use filters on the lens to get such great photos? Or RAW conversion? Cheers

I do shoot RAW and convert to TIF for editing. No filters, they would just muck up the barely-adequate lens and sensor the P4P now flies. But good software and editing skills can make up for a lot of what filters do. I have been using Photoshop and a few other editing programs for many years as a semi-professional still photographer, and IMHO good editing is a far larger factor in your image quality than the camera.

Last edited:
I do shoot RAW and convert to TIF for editing. No filters, they would just muck up the barely-adequate lens and sensor the P4P now flies. But good software and editing skills can make up for a lot of what filters do. I have been using Photoshop and a few other editing programs for a many years as a semi-professional still photographer, and IMHO good editing is a far larger factor in your image quality than the camera.
Thanks for the really useful and detailed reply! I’ve always done post processing from RAW files on traditional cameras so will not bother with a filter on drone after seeing your excellent photo! ?

Thanks for the really useful and detailed reply! I’ve always done post processing from RAW files on traditional cameras so will not bother with a filter on drone after seeing your excellent photo! ?

One other thing: I often shoot and process a 3-shot HDR series on the P4P. The photo here is HDR. I do NOT use the DJI controller's HDR burst feature because it only gives a .7 EV difference between exposures, and 2.0 EV difference gives a much better result. So, I compose the picture, park the drone, and shoot 3 shots manually at -2, 0 and +2 EV. Convert the Raw files to TIF and process with Aurora HDR. This makes up for the crappy dynamic range of the DJI sensor.

Last edited:
Thanks for additional details much appreciated will give it a go......I’ll try the 3 shot HDR thanks loads for workflow ?

Great imaging, J. These are the types of scenes I most often seek. I do a lot of stitching numerous P4P frames to one larger image, but have not tried the HDR thing. I never liked the look, but I'm sure I can get it right in Photoshop. Thanks for posting.

Great imaging, J. These are the types of scenes I most often seek. I do a lot of stitching numerous P4P frames to one larger image, but have not tried the HDR thing. I never liked the look, but I'm sure I can get it right in Photoshop. Thanks for posting.
People are so quick to blame HDR for photos that aren't to their taste, but it's just an artistic tool like any other -- you can use it subtley or overtly or any degree in between. All it takes is some practice and skill, which the critics generally don't have time for. And don't forget -- you are the artist, it is your own vision that is paramount, and whomever doesn't like it can eff off.

And one other thing -- Photoshop/lightroom is a mediocre HDR processor. You want Aurora.

People are so quick to blame HDR for photos that aren't to their taste, but it's just an artistic tool like any other -- you can use it subtley or overtly or any degree in between. All it takes is some practice and skill, which the critics generally don't have time for. And don't forget -- you are the artist, it is your own vision that is paramount, and whomever doesn't like it can eff off.

And one other thing -- Photoshop/lightroom is a mediocre HDR processor. You want Aurora.

Thanks for the insights. I really wasn't 'blaming' HDR for all the poorly applied technology, just tired of seeing it and so it becomes a victim. I will check out Aurora.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20