Dropping Satellites

I can see night and day being different, but with a 12 hour orbit, the same time each day, 1 day apart should be close. 9-10 or 5-6.. huge difference
so just went outside.. with the shell off to the side, i got 8. back to the middle, still got 8. this is really screwy

OK... so latest update.. I REALLY need some advice here.

went outside with shell on. 5-6
Same spot moments later, took shell slightly off and raised up away from the boards. 6 steady maye 7.
Moved it slightly off to the left of the body (only a couple inches from center, because the wire is short). 7
Slightly front - 7
slightly back - 7
slightly RIGHT - 8.

I confirmed all of these MULTIPLE times... shell back on completely, 6.

I have shielded VERY well with alum tape... and the wire as well. I know a few people claim copper works... but that has to be ordered online i think.

any advice folks?

The sats do not travel in 12 hour orbit. They vary by about 4-8 minutes a day.

Before you tell us how many sats you got, we need to know how many were available. Use SatPredictor to evaluate how many were visible under perfect conditions from your location at the time of the test. The raw number you got in the vision app is irrelevant with out the other information.

Also note, that SatPredictor is not a fool proof indication either. For various reasons a sat may not be available as it passes over you.

DBeard said:
The sats do not travel in 12 hour orbit. They vary by about 4-8 minutes a day.

Before you tell us how many sats you got, we need to know how many were available. Use SatPredictor to evaluate how many were visible under perfect conditions from your location at the time of the test. The raw number you got in the vision app is irrelevant with out the other information.

Also note, that SatPredictor is not a fool proof indication either. For various reasons a sat may not be available as it passes over you.

Be sure it is 'counting' [US] GPS only. No GLONASS or Galileo or any of the other systems out, I mean, up there ;) .

I have gotten comfortable with getting a 6 satellite lock and taking off as I almost always add 2 to 4 more in the air with in seconds after lift off. Altitude helps tremendously If winds are light to none I take off with 5 even in close quarters. As you get past the jitters, you will calm down and this won't be a big deal at all.

New Phantom pilot: Sits on the ground counting sats. gets mad and may or may not even take off, if he does he starts with video recording blades of grass or black top up close, gets in the air adds a few satellites to maybe 8 or more and likely never has a problem.

Experienced Phantom pilot: Powers up watches led signals or FPV for sats, likely lifts off with 5 or 6, hovers in the air briefly well knowing more sats will come in with the added altitude, decides when it is time based on telemetry info. then starts his video capture, and flys off for another successful flight with 8 or more sats also.

I'm not picking on anyone here cause I am in the middle now at best but this is kinda how it is and how it works with a $1200 toy airplane. Good GPS's can cost more than that !! I got one on my boat that cost 3 Phantoms, These are not precision instruments regardless of what some people think that you should to get for $1200 and you do have to play with them a little to figure out how to work with them best, to get the most out of them.

Do I think it should be or wish it was better out of the box ...sure, at least should have more shielding !! I was considering the NAZA M Lite external antenna and think it would give great results but at $169 but as I am getting used to how it all works I am not likely to feel I need to go there.

The are expensive toys and we all want perfection with every purchase but consider all the technology packed in these little birds starting at $500 and it is amazing !!!

RIDETOEAT said:
I have gotten comfortable with getting a 6 satellite lock and taking off as I almost always add 2 to 4 more in the air with in seconds after lift off. Altitude help tremendously If winds are light to none I take off with 5 even in close quarters. As you get past the jitters, you will calm down and this won't be a big deal at all.

New Phantom pilot: Sits on the ground counting sats. gets mad and may or may not even take off, if he does he starts with video recording blades of grass or black top up close, gets in the air adds a few satellites to maybe 8 or more and likely never has a problem.

Experienced Phantom pilot: Powers up watches led signals or FPV for sats, likely lifts off with 5 or 6, hovers in the air briefly well knowing more sats will come in with the added altitude, decides when it is time based on telemetry info. then starts his video capture, and flys off for another successful flight with 8 or more sats also.

I'm not picking on anyone here cause I am in the middle now at best but this is kinda how it is and how it works with a $1200 toy airplane. Good GPS's can cost more than that !! I got one on my boat that cost 3 Phantoms, These are not precision instruments regardless of what some people think that you should to get for $1200 and you do have to play with them a little to figure out how to work with them best, to get the most out of them.

Do I think it should be or wish it was better out of the box ...sure, at least should have more shielding !! I was considering the NAZA M Lite external antenna and think it would give great results but at $169 but as I am getting used to how it all works I am not likely to feel I need to go there.

The are expensive toys and we all want perfection with every purchase but consider all the technology packed in these little birds starting at $500 and it is amazing !!!

Nice! :p

So i do understand all that... thats why i tested same time of day, etc.

so i chose the two different North america datums and got 9 on both.

just by chance i put some foil tape above the gimbal and camera and now, even with the shell buckled back on, im getting 8. totally within reason.. perfectly happy with that, even if its ugly as sin with metal tape on it.

ok.. so i think i have it mostly resolved.

My NA datum shows i should get 9 satellites.

I was only getting 6. with the foil mod.

after i put a single sheet of foil tape between the gimbal and the body, buttoned it back up. im getting 8-9. I can live with that.

I didnt have to tape the camera, just the direct line between the camera and the GPS chip in the roof of the quad.
i was also able to trim back enough where its not visible hardly at all. so asthetics in tact as well.

eagleseye said:
Hey guys,
I had the same issue, did the aluminum tape on the inside but was still dropping sats when recording. I saw a video of a guy putting a static shielding bag (plastic bag with metal to protect electronic parts) between the camera and body of his phantom and it would keep his sats the same with the bag in place, but drop sats when he removed the bag, so............... I thought why not put some of this aluminum tape shielding between my camera and phantom? It seems to have worked because when I hit record my sats stay the same. Here's a pic:

Hope this helps,

Eagles Eye

hes definately on to something.. I didnt know how to take the gimbal off, so i just slid it in between the housing and the camera tray.. seems to work.. 2 more satellites consistently. up to 3 often enough too... so from 6 and DOUBTFUL flying, to 8-9 and HELL YES im flying

RIDETOEAT said:

...months later.

Experienced Pilot said:
After dozens of successful flight, I had a fly-away, because I took off with 5 sats and got a wacky home lock.

oops. :twisted:

burritocmdr said:
eagleseye said:
Hey guys,
I had the same issue, did the aluminum tape on the inside but was still dropping sats when recording. I saw a video of a guy putting a static shielding bag (plastic bag with metal to protect electronic parts) between the camera and body of his phantom and it would keep his sats the same with the bag in place, but drop sats when he removed the bag, so............... I thought why not put some of this aluminum tape shielding between my camera and phantom? It seems to have worked because when I hit record my sats stay the same. Here's a pic:

This may be a dumb question, but the whole gimbal assembly is aluminum right? It's already between the camera and body, so why would the aluminum tape be of any benefit? I guess if you are seeing better results then you might be onto something.

Hey burritocmdr,

I see your point and never even thought of that :), however, you'll also notice there are BIG "holes" in the gimbal mount, especially when you remove it from the quad. These "holes" both in the mount as well as the plastic underside of the quad are what I covered up. I've noticed I still drop 1 maybe 2 but I used to drop like 3 or 4 when recording.

The way I look at it, is that I want as much insulation between my GPS module and any interference that could arise.

Has anyone else done this mod? What difference, if any, did you get?

Eagles Eye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers