Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Personally, as a professional industrial and wildlife photographer for my company, I am not sure sure of much benefit in using a ND filter. For me, if a filter is desired, a polarizer would be a better fit since it darkens also and slows down the shutter speed, it also brings out more color but requires adjustment prior to flying for getting polarizing effect. Still, it will reduce light also and for a camera such as this, I am suspect for how much it would really help, but may help with jello, just feel like other options would be better suited, but that is just an opinion and doesn't hurt to give it a try. If I wanted to do it however, I feel more benefit would come from a polarizer since it has same effect as a ND unless the ND is much darker and that likely isn't really desired and the polarizer give a second benefit by bringing in colors better and reduces glares on water, or other glares.

Anyway, here is a link for a video http://youtu.be/FOC0uaqM16E that I posted just a bit ago for my flight today using the gimbal. It does have a slight jello effect at some places, but sure took out the shake of the flying experience. Jello isn't terrible and will work to reduce that or eliminate if the company sends me any new pads or get some drum gel pads to try out. I'm sure the company wants the best video possible for a reference to their product so if they have new ones, I hope they will forward as needed, but will see. I cut a lot of stuff from video that isn't really needed and kept the video of most movement for a reference test.

I sent my video link to Dronexpert.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9xQDwwVgM[/youtube]

How can I do for jello ? They reply to me "
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your email.
Today we have send you the new dampers.
These will minimized the jello effect.
We will send it with standard envelop post, so it might take a few days before arrival.

See attachment how to apply the dampers at the side of the camera.You can replace the old dampers under need the mount with the new ones.
Best regards,
Giel Zwaan"

See the pic.
12744129875_1e5898c570_z.jpg

I am looking forward to the dampers.

I also got an email and although requested the pads, this was my responce from them.

Thank you for your email.
We have had the same problems with a drone which was in the case with the propellers on it.
But once we changed the old propellers for new ones, the jello effect was minimized.
The reason why this happens is because of the pressure of the case on the propellers, this pressure bends the propellers a little.
The advise we can give you is to change your propellers for new ones and always take off the propellers when you put the drone in the flight case.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.
Best regards,
Giel Zwaan

I wrote back and told them that I have to take my props off to fit in my case and the props are also new also, so should not be the case pressure. Still no offer for the new pads for me.....yet.

Got an email today and my new pads are on their way to me. Hope they work, although I am still happy with the results of my gimbal. Thought they would be foot pads, but by photo they sent which is the same in an above post, it goes next to he camera and camera mount.

Received mine today..will NOT power the cam..so, I have no link to the app..red light also on on the gimbal board..gimbal itself, and 7th channel work great..lol but, no cam..no, I gotta wait for the ******** responses they give.. :evil:

So what is the situation now with the jello and new dampers from Dronexpert.nl?

Is there still problem with the jello or did the dampers solve the problem? I'm still waiting for my order to be shipped and trying to figure out if this gimbal is really the right choice?

Are there any P2V pilots who are happy with their dronexpert gimbal? Or are you all having trouble with the jello? :eek:

-jonzalez-

jonzalez said:
So what is the situation now with the jello and new dampers from Dronexpert.nl?

Is there still problem with the jello or did the dampers solve the problem? I'm still waiting for my order to be shipped and trying to figure out if this gimbal is really the right choice?

Are there any P2V pilots who are happy with their dronexpert gimbal? Or are you all having trouble with the jello? :eek:

-jonzalez-

Wait new dampers and test.

Got mine yesterday ..looks good will install tonight . FED-EX is brutal though . wasn't at home to receive so they left a ticket at the door . where to pickup prior to 5:30 . The kicker was this was the final notice even though it had literally been in my city for less than 12 hours and on a truck for 6 . I happen to be off early so I get to the depot just after 5pm .. The guy was cool as they are just a drop point for FED-EX . He said I was lucky that I lived in the area I do as had I lived in another area of the city, it would have went back to airport and off it goes back to sender . This is the first thing I have ever gotten from FED-EX always have had stuff show up UPS which never had this issue ..

Anyway it is here and now. I can install and look out my window hoping it will warm up by 20 degrees Celsius just to get back to 0

Playing around with the dampers is the solution for correcting jello. I've been testing mine a week ago. Following the instructions manual and videos the gimbal installation is really easy. I got some jello effect and solved it replacing stocked dampers with the spares ones that came for the landing gear (P2V box). They fit better on the plate out cuts. Fit them precisely aligned to avoid they slip with vibration. Place them into the rectangular out cut of the plate. Also the new dampers for both sides of camera could add extra stabilization. Thanks for posting!!! Good Luck

There was some question on the gimbal and the filter holder, as far as too much weight for the gimbal..anything under 100g is good..lol the filter holder and filter come in at 18g..

Two ways to use it, either by drilling out the holder to the same ID as the silicone tubing OD, and using longer length tubing, which does raise up the cam a bit from the original height, but, no matter there, or, by machining off the holder legs, which I did, too save the weight of the 2 legs, and bonded the seal to the cam, and holder to the seal..takes a specific compond to bond rubber to plastic, and plastic to aluminum, tho..

Attachments

• DSCN3945.jpg
    DSCN3945.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCN3944.jpg
    DSCN3944.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN3946.jpg
    DSCN3946.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 494
I am using the damper pads that come with the camera, and have no jello effect at all. The camera mount platform sits free on the rubber damper pads, but if you slide it for or aft a 1/4" it will be hitting one or more of the vertical landing gear struts. If you shift so it's not touching any of the struts, it might cure the jello problem. I had a significant improvement in over video stability using the gimbal mount for the first time today.

The one problem I did have is that my camera has a definite tilt to the left, throwing my horizon off about 15 degrees or so. Don't see any adjustment for that, and the camera appears level when the Vision is sitting on a workbench.

I did notice that the bezel of the camera itself is not aligned straight, going by the lettering on the face of the camera. Not sure if somehow I changed the alignment of the camera inside its housing while installing the gimbal, but I don't think so. Don't really want to open the camera to adjust the alignment if I can avoid it.

I think I will dismount the camera and remount it, making sure the four nylon mounting screws and blue plastic bushings are all fully inserted into the bottom of the camera housing.

It performed perfectly, was a dramatic improvement, no jello and much less jerkiness than the stock Vision.

Actually, there is an adjustment. The plate that has plug that plugs into the back of the camera needs to be level and moves easily which will cause the camera to tilt. I got tired of it moving, so today, I cheched level by looking through camera and put a dab of hot melt glue to keep it there. Otherwise, it moves too easily and causes camera to tilt. Can easily be moved if ever needed by breaking the hot melt glue joint. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 483
chidago said:
There was some question on the gimbal and the filter holder, as far as too much weight for the gimbal..anything under 100g is good..lol the filter holder and filter come in at 18g..

Two ways to use it, either by drilling out the holder to the same ID as the silicone tubing OD, and using longer length tubing, which does raise up the cam a bit from the original height, but, no matter there, or, by machining off the holder legs, which I did, too save the weight of the 2 legs, and bonded the seal to the cam, and holder to the seal..takes a specific compond to bond rubber to plastic, and plastic to aluminum, tho..
Chidago,
how has this preformed? Was it able to heavy for the gimbal? Love to hear/see your results? Anything I have tried (as far as a filter) has made the gimbal off balanced and pretty heavy.
Love to hear your experiences on this.
thanks so much!
(we are all in this together)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164