#Drones4Crohns - Drone Photography Fundraising Campaign

Reaction score
Hey PhantomPilots!

I'll make this short and quick! Myself and a fellow recreational UAV pilot and commercial airline pilot have started a fundraising campaign to raise awareness about Crohns and Colitis, two awful diseases that are often misunderstood; and to ultimately raise money towards research and treatment programs for people suffering from these diseases.

The campaign is in it's infancy right now, currently working on the planning of our first annual Gala Auction. Essentially, we are collecting donations of ART - YOUR ART - your best photos taken from drones that you would like to donate to Crohns & Colitis Canada for use in this auction. Select images will be chosen by a panel of judges for canvas enlargements to be auctioned at a fundraising Gala. Any unsold art will be auctioned online. Right now, we are looking for drone pilots/photographers who are interested in having their art sold to raise money for this foundation.

As I said, we're in the infancy stages, so at this point, if you are interested, please reach out and you will be involved in the discussions leading up to this event.

Visit www.drones4crohns.com for more information

ALSO, IF YOU USE TWITTER, PLEASE TWEET WITH THE HASHTAG
#Drones4Crohns to help spread awareness about this campaign.

Currently, in year 1, we are focussing on Canadian artscapes, however, we will likely expand to other regions in subsequent years.

Thanks!

upload_2017-4-6_11-59-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-6_11-53-2.png
    upload_2017-4-6_11-53-2.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 356
Wow, I've never heard of this, Drones for Crohnes, great name for a mongrel of a medical problem. I guess I could say that Crohnes wrecked my chances of owning a DJI quadcopter. I developed Crohnes or Colitis, the doctors weren't exactly sure what to call it, but it became so bad I was running on fumes when they decided to remove the cause of my "problem" In fact things were so bad I had to be resuscitated twice whilst in Intensive care after the operation. A large part of me, which I'd grown attached to over the previous 50 years, was removed and I was left with a plastic bag hanging from my waist. They told me I'd get used to it and almost forget it was there. Those comments held much the same as the bag. Here I am almost 20 years later and I hate the damned thing almost as much as hating what it did to my life.

Most of all it sucked my bank balance dry and soaked up everything I owned. The medical bills were being paid by selling our little house on the coast to which my wife and I intended to retire. Things got that bad a friend told me to request a pension from veteran's affairs, because according to him my problem could have been caused by Agent Orange and Agent Blue during my service in Vietnam in the 70s. I had nothing to lose and I applied. Within a surprisingly short time I was granted an 80% pension, clearly I should have applied for it prior to losing everything I owned.

Do I sound bitter? and why did this stop me from owning a DJI something, anything? Because that nasty (and I mean really nasty) disease stopped me from earning a decent wage and put me on the scrap heap. I've been classed as unemployable and having to live from pension day to pension day has made me realise the plight of our aged population. I haven't been able to take my wife on a holiday for over 20 years, but thankfully she's tolerated the drop from comfortably off to broke very well. She's looked after me and put up with things only nurses have to endure. She's never complained and should I manage to save a few dollars for her to buy herself something, she ends up spending it on me. I shouldn't complain, many of the men I served with developed cancers and have long since passed on, so I guess having Crohnes was better than cancer, maybe.

I hope the gentleman who organized the appeal gets the help he's asked for. But Crohnes is more than likely unknown to many. It doesn't have the same connotations as Cancer, but it can affect sufferers just as dramatically. A cure is being worked on, but like Cancer, MS, Parkinson's and other medical issues which affect a large number of people, the money raised for trying to find a cure is never enough. It's not normally a disease which affects old farts like myself, it more commonly hits the youngsters, from toddlers through to teenagers. I honestly can't imagine a child having to go through what I experienced. So if you can help out, you may be able help find a way to stop a little one having to put up with having a bag strapped to them for the rest of their lives.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20